Anime: Emotions on a Rollercoaster

Amentep

6 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Attraction/crushes is a wholly different thing, though - can't say I can ever recall a time where, like, I felt like I loved a character so much that my heart fluttered at the thought of them or when I'll see/hear/read about them next or something like that.

Can't speak for IC, but that's not at all how that works for me. Or worked, to be honest, I haven't had a crush on a character in a long time. Pointless to try and put it into words, but generally, it was a very elevated feeling of attachment while watching something, not a butterflies in the stomach or an any actual feelings of nervousness when the show's up again. It's probably like a crush when you filter out any physical attraction or having the ability to interact. I'm not sure I can describe that any better. Doesn't really matter, in the end, I guess.

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Fictional characters can be really fun and lovable (albeit simplified) ideas of people, but they're no substitute for the real thing.

18 year old me would have strongly disagreed, but I'm a bit older now. Guess I learned that real people outside of your family aren't all just out to hurt you. Just most of them. :)

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It doesn't feel like I can really differentiate between my attachments very well - I can differentiate between the *reasons* for my attachments, as in what I particularly like or find compelling or...whatever about a given character versus another, but the end result is still a similar kind of attachment (i.e. I like/love this character), :shrugz:. Might be more of a reflection on me than anything else, though!

Yeah, I was going to write an "although on the other hand real people are also the worst...most of the time, which is probably why people become obsessed with characters that can't hurt them or otherwise make their lives more difficult instead" addendum, but it didn't feel like it needed to be stated, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

37 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I was going to write an "although on the other hand real people are also the worst...most of the time, which is probably why people become obsessed with characters that can't hurt them or otherwise make their lives more difficult instead" addendum, but it didn't feel like it needed to be stated, :p.

I'm just really broken when it comes to social interactions. It's not the easiest topic to talk about (not even online in anonymity), but it does feel cathartic, every now and then.

• Hmmm 1

Speaking of funnier things, I have some problems making that fanfiction you requested work. How bothered would you be if Bruce acts a little out of character? :p

• Gasp! 1

Please tell me you're joking.

Episode 30 & 31:

Spoiler

Apparently Zirconia is very bad and slow at identifying targets, so the Amazon Quartet have gotten so bored that they're *desperate* for new ones to be assigned to them. Once again, this whole setup of them being assigned targets and then also being blamed for the targets being no good is just dumb.

Gosh, Chibi-Usa's friends are so...bland and bad. Although not as bad as this stupid winged donkey.

An episode where Chibi-Usa gets upset at Usagi for something that's not Usagi's fault and...Usagi reacts like a reasonable adult? Even though Chibi-Usa had just been talking to Mamoru on her own without Usagi? Is this still SuperS?

Sometimes, I wish I could...like...combine the main character voices of the new English dub with the monster/villain voices of the original dub. It would make these fights a lot funnier. I mean, just listen to this mammoth villain, this is the most fun this voice actor has ever had in their life voicing a character.

Holy crap, Palla just massacring people again. And...we're doing something different! lmao at Mamoru...and Usagi seems pretty okay with all of this, but I guess that makes sense.

Pegasus...why do you have to make everything that should be fun so not fun? Why are you the way that you are?

Interesting and novel way to defeat the monster. This was...almost a good episode if not for Pegasus. Sigh.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Can't speak for IC, but that's not at all how that works for me. Or worked, to be honest, I haven't had a crush on a character in a long time. Pointless to try and put it into words, but generally, it was a very elevated feeling of attachment while watching something, not a butterflies in the stomach or an any actual feelings of nervousness when the show's up again. It's probably like a crush when you filter out any physical attraction or having the ability to interact. I'm not sure I can describe that any better. Doesn't really matter, in the end, I guess.

18 year old me would have strongly disagreed, but I'm a bit older now. Guess I learned that real people outside of your family aren't all just out to hurt you. Just most of them. :)

Ok, a crush was an exaggeration. But the actress looked really good there and the character was cool. Unlike her appearance in Stargate, like you said. Being a real person makes a difference. I've kind of felt attracted to anime or video game characters on occasion, but that is nothing compared to real people on live action. Unless you count some cosplayers...

@BartimaeusPallapalla is a professional. Just keep watching. The others don't even try to hit multiple targets.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Spoiler

With the few stunts she's pulled so far, I wouldn't be surprised if she has as many 'kills' as literally every other villain from S to SuperS combined.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

With the few stunts she's pulled so far, I wouldn't be surprised if she has as many 'kills' as literally every other villain from S to SuperS combined.

That is more or less what I thought and wrote in this thread when I was at the same point you are.

sign.jpg

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Please tell me you're joking.

Uhm, of course good sir! *quietly drops bruce-slash-sharpie.txt into the recycle bin*

PallaPalla is serious business but she's nowhere close to pulling off a Telulu and ripping out the pure heart crystals of what looks like all of Tokyo. :)

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 2

By the way, given KP's reaction to Pegasus and how uncomfortable it appears to be watching Sailor Moon SuperS with his fiancee, how high do you rate the chance that he'll just drop watching after episodes 30 and 31? In some ways they're the absolute low points of Pegasus' interaction with Chibi-Usa. 31 most of all.

Edited by majestic

I forgot that lady existed on account of her only appearing in like one, maybe two episodes.

If he gets to episode 31, at that point, he probably finishes it because you're only 8 episodes from the ending anyways. That's what I'd reason anyways, :p.

Uhm, of course good sir! *quietly drops bruce-slash-sharpie.txt into the recycle bin*

PallaPalla is serious business but she's nowhere close to pulling off a Telulu and ripping out the pure heart crystals of what looks like all of Tokyo. :)

Did she though? How many plants did she sell? I don't really remember. We saw only the hearts in the room they were. Anyway, she was an amateur even so because she let her own creation kill her in her first mission.

By the way, given KP's reaction to Pegasus and how uncomfortable it appears to be watching Sailor Moon SuperS with his fiancee, how high do you rate the chance that he'll just drop watching after episodes 30 and 31? In some ways they're the absolute low points of Pegasus' interaction with Chibi-Usa. 31 most of all.

Now that you are telling him this is the worst, the chance to drop the rest of the season decreases somewhat. But it all depends on their mood while watching the scene.

sign.jpg

Man this thread went places. I may respond more later, but I'm taking a break and don't have the time to post too much.

By the way, given KP's reaction to Pegasus and how uncomfortable it appears to be watching Sailor Moon SuperS with his fiancee, how high do you rate the chance that he'll just drop watching after episodes 30 and 31?

0% now that I've been challenged.

Really though, we're watching less because Super S is just so boring compared to previous seasons (and because I'm more busy with work and she's got things to do). If S highlighted what I like most about the show (and 90's anime in general), then Super S is doubling down on what I dislike the most. I could take the pedo horse or the sexual predator crew if the rest of the show wasn't just Usagi and Chibi-Usa fighting over and over before getting into a fight with a legion of largely forgettable circus themed monsters.

Don't delete the slashfic, finish it and post it with names changed slightly for denial.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Steven Universe S01E30:

Spoiler

Uhm. Okay. I... already don't like Lars and this isn't helping. The Gems are going to be proud, Steven? Yeah, somehow I don't think so, unless Unhinged!Pearl shows back up. :)

• Hmmm 1

Spoiler

I actually really like that episode - it both shows a better side of Lars as well as...how difficult it is for someone to truly change. But if you really dislike Lars, then I can see how this might only confirm your dislike of him, :p. The good news for you if that's the case:

Spoiler

THIS WAS THE LAST TIME YOU'LL SEE HIM ALIVE. Sadie murders him off-screen in between episodes 41 and 42, and nothing more is ever said of the matter.

Spoiler

Okay, that was a lie, but I'm pretty sure there's only one more episode in season 1 with him in any way for more than a few seconds. Pretty sure...pretty sure.

Spoiler

Also, I'm really curious to see if you hate or love the next episode. I hated it when I first saw it, but now I kind of love it because of how ridiculous it is.

Edited by Bartimaeus

33 minutes ago, majestic said:

I half expected a Dio meme in your spoiler tower there. :) I'll let you know shortly.

Spoiler

So, are the gems really trying to hollow out the Earth? I wouldn't put it past the show to have him get that right at this point... he was right about the polymorphic rocks too, after all. Just not about the snake people. Presumably.

The animation in this strangely reminded me a bit of Day of the Tentacle from LucasArts, and Garnet wins... huh. The little references here and there keep piling up, they're almost impossible to track. Feels a bit like ReBoot in that regard. Too bad about that show's animation, you might like it otherwise.

Or, right, the conspiracy story. I found it funny. I like conspiracy theories in the same way I like Ancient Alien stuff (there's some decent overlap too). Maybe a bit too real these days.

edit:

Managed two 10 minute epsiodes in a day, plus one episode of Sailor Moon in the background while working. Sigh. Well, it's bound to get better, eventually...

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

@majestic

Spoiler

Yeah, there's all sorts of oddball references, including to a number of animes - Evangelion, multiple Ghibli movies, Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon...apparently Cowboy Bebop, Mobile Suit Gundam, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and the list goes on and on. No really, there's a giant list on the wiki, as I just discovered. I knew about some of them, but this list is really exhaustive. Tons of spoilers, though.

• Like 1

Just had a good chuckle at my favorite dialogue (sort of) from Reboot.

"Next you'll be telling me that you've seen the user." -- Bob

"There is no user. That's just mass psychosis engineered by the Guardians." -- CGI Special Agent Fax Modem

😄

And with that I'll be off for the night, I guess. Should get some stuff done tomorrow today. Eh, and there's that ridiculous meeting. Ho-humm.

edit:

Oh, how could I forget? The end...

"The web is out there." - CGI Special Agent Fax Modem

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Sailor Stars - first arc:

Spoiler

It was interesting to pair the inner sailors with the outer ones. Some pretty nice scenes. Ami teaches Haruka that sometimes you have to use your brain. Michiru and Rei together were great. “I did it” said Rei, but she actually shot Michiru, who was the one who moved and caused Nehelenia to be hit. And Michiru tells Rei that her friendship with Haruka is just like Rei and Usagi. :lol:

Wait.🤔

Despite all of her attempts to Marty McFyl herself out of existence, the real danger to Chibiusa only came now.

So Nehelenia said she had only herself, but also that she was suffering alone in her prison? Ok, she just wanted to have a friend.

What happened in the end? Time travel/rewind? They put her in a dream?

Much better than Super S. 🤗

• Like 1

sign.jpg

7 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

Sailor Stars - first arc:

Hide contents

It was interesting to pair the inner sailors with the outer ones. Some pretty nice scenes. Ami teaches Haruka that sometimes you have to use your brain. Michiru and Rei together were great. “I did it” said Rei, but she actually shot Michiru, who was the one who moved and caused Nehelenia to be hit. And Michiru tells Rei that her friendship with Haruka is just like Rei and Usagi. :lol:

Wait.🤔

Despite all of her attempts to Marty McFyl herself out of existence, the real danger to Chibiusa only came now.

So Nehelenia said she had only herself, but also that she was suffering alone in her prison? Ok, she just wanted to have a friend.

What happened in the end? Time travel/rewind? They put her in a dream?

Much better than Super S. 🤗

Spoiler

Pretty much, yes. From what you can they transformed her back into her younger, pre-corruption self and sent her back in time in order to make sure that SuperS never happens. ;)

11 hours ago, majestic said:

So, are the gems really trying to...

Somehow, I missed this part of your post yesterday, and definitely did not deliberately ignore it. All I can say is...

Spoiler

RONALDO.png

• Haha 1

Interesting, this is the part where I thought of the artwork in Day of the Tentacle. I have no idea if that is deliberate or not, or if I'm just imagining things. It's not any one character, but a combination of things. Probably a coincidence. Unlike all the other references.

• Like 1

SU:

Spoiler

Oh dear Steven, how could you think showing up with... Alexandrite was a good idea?

That was fun. Except the ending, that felt a little forced. But ok, can't split Conny and Steven up. That would be cruel.

Oh, and Gems, not cool lying to Steven. You don't just fuse for emergencies, otherwise Garnet wouldn't be around. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 1

Spoiler

If the show has one major weakness, it's that it's still nominally aimed at children/young teens, so stuff can be occasionally too over-simplified or characters might explain their feelings when they don't really need to, all that jazz that happens in children's cartoon. Though it doesn't noticeably happen all that often...and when it does, it's almost always in episodes of lesser importance, which themselves, are generally a function of being a children's show. Episodes like Onion Trade don't really feel like they really belong in the same show that has episodes like Space Race, but them's the kicks.

How about that massive drink of water Alexandrite, though?

Edited by Bartimaeus