Anime: Emotions on a Rollercoaster

Amentep

16 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:
Spoiler

To be honest, I had actually forgotten about that until you commented on the "farewell". But why hasn't anyone talked about a missing plane?

Spoiler

The plane isn't missing, just Mamoru. But that's a plot point for later. :)

edit: Usagi isn't telling anyone that she can't reach Mamoru so they don't worry (remember how she didn't want to tell them about the new enemies either). They're happy for the first time in a while now. I'm not sure, but Usagi's probably at her best in this one. There's this massive disconnect between her happy scenes and the little ones sprinkled in between where she's worried sick and writing letters.

She's pretending to be strong on her own, which isn't a particularily good idea, keep that in mind for the finale. Unlike the other season's endings, this one is a bit heavier on the metaphors.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 finally came out in March and it seems to have received positive reactions, except from the degenerate shippers. Wonder how long a run it will have before the BluRay comes out. I would think a short run because of the whole pandemic, but who knows with the Japanese.

• Like 3

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

50 minutes ago, Sarex said:

except from the degenerate shippers

giphy.gif

Anything that makes shippers upset is always good news to me.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Evangelion 3.0+1.0 finally came out in March and it seems to have received positive reactions, except from the degenerate shippers. Wonder how long a run it will have before the BluRay comes out. I would think a short run because of the whole pandemic, but who knows with the Japanese.

Did they include Shave Impact?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

15 hours ago, majestic said:

Hide contents

The plane isn't missing, just Mamoru. But that's a plot point for later. :)

edit: Usagi isn't telling anyone that she can't reach Mamoru so they don't worry (remember how she didn't want to tell them about the new enemies either). They're happy for the first time in a while now. I'm not sure, but Usagi's probably at her best in this one. There's this massive disconnect between her happy scenes and the little ones sprinkled in between where she's worried sick and writing letters.

She's pretending to be strong on her own, which isn't a particularily good idea, keep that in mind for the finale. Unlike the other season's endings, this one is a bit heavier on the metaphors.

Well,

Spoiler

Mamoru said he wouldn’t have time to write, so I imagine it will take a long time before anyone notices he is missing.

I forgot to comment, but Ami was really disappointed with Usagi having Seiya in her house.

sign.jpg

2 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

Did they include Shave Impact?

Not going to lie, I was pretty weirded out by the amount of merchandising Evangelion has - a million different games almost universally of extremely low quality, endless amounts of pachinko junk, toys, manga, books, crossovers...why does this weird little short anime series have just endless waves of garbage merchandising? I guess because people buy it...

• Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

7 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Not going to lie, I was pretty weirded out by the amount of merchandising Evangelion has - a million different games almost universally of extremely low quality, endless amounts of pachinko junk, toys, manga, books, crossovers...why does this weird little short anime series have just endless waves of garbage merchandising? I guess because people buy it...

I have no idea, it doesn't make sense to me beyond shameless IP mining. I only remember this because beardless Gengi flying through the sky and laughing is funny and a little scary.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

1 minute ago, InsaneCommander said:

Wait, is Unit-01 going to shave the Angels?

Yes, while dual wielding razors.

• Haha 2

Episodes 185-187:

Spoiler

I laughed really hard when Usagi said Chibi Chibi leaves the house and don’t tell anyone. So that has happened before? And how can Chibi Chibi say anything if she can’t really talk? And what if she does say something, like "Chibi Chibi", how do you know what it means? 🤔

Luna is actually wondering if Chibi Chibi could be Usagi's granddaughter.

Once again I wonder if Chibi Chibi is doing convenient things on purpose. Throwing some balls for the monster to slip was genius. Using the feather later was definitely intentional and equally effective.

So Crow does care about Siren. I wasn’t sure if she was just giving Siren bad targets to sabotage her.

Seiya talking about the star seed inside each person made me wonder: what would happen if one of the Sailor Senshi became a zombie?

Also, the owner of the special item in R and Super S was Chibiusa, so Chibi Chibi seemed like a good candidate this time. And she could be the princess the guys are looking for, if she reincarnated or they never met her. That seems to be confirmed later in the episode.

Minako took over the commentator’s place in that scene that Majestic mentioned.🤣

Chibi Chibi goes to the bathroom alone??confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Haha 1

sign.jpg

30 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Episodes 185-187:

Hide contents

I laughed really hard when Usagi said Chibi Chibi leaves the house and don’t tell anyone. So that has happened before? And how can Chibi Chibi say anything if she can’t really talk? And what if she does say something, like "Chibi Chibi", how do you know what it means? 🤔

Luna is actually wondering if Chibi Chibi could be Usagi's granddaughter.

Once again I wonder if Chibi Chibi is doing convenient things on purpose. Throwing some balls for the monster to slip was genius. Using the feather later was definitely intentional and equally effective.

So Crow does care about Siren. I wasn’t sure if she was just giving Siren bad targets to sabotage her.

Seiya talking about the star seed inside each person made me wonder: what would happen if one of the Sailor Senshi became a zombie?

Also, the owner of the special item in R and Super S was Chibiusa, so Chibi Chibi seemed like a good candidate this time. And she could be the princess the guys are looking for, if she reincarnated or they never met her. That seems to be confirmed later in the episode.

Minako took over the commentator’s place in that scene that Majestic mentioned.🤣

Chibi Chibi goes to the bathroom alone??confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

Chibi chibi. Chibi chibi?

Chibi Chibi!

;)

• Gasp! 1

Only took 18 pages for them to go nuts...

• Haha 4
  • Hmmm 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 minute ago, Malcador said:

It's a preexisting condition.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Sailor Moon SuperS: The Movie!

Spoiler

What a strange opening - I thought I was watching a Ghibli movie for a minute there. "Some chocolate a day keeps the doctor away!" Yeah, I think everyone can guess who said that. ...So I guess Makoto's parents lived long enough that she knew them? That's...good. I'm not clear on when or what they died of, but I guess at least she has some memories... Why always poor Makoto?

Poor Chibi-Usa: she's always saddled with just the worst friends. I mean, I guess it's kind of her fault, but... lmao, this freaky awkward Helios doppelganger boy's name is Pearl? Uh, okay. Huh. Gosh, I wish Usagi would've stayed permanently broken up with Mamoru back in R. "Who's more important to you - me or Chibi-Usa?" That is a monstrous question to ask of the father of your child about yourself and said child. I know she's still a broken-brained 16 year old girl or whatever...but my goodness. (edit from much later on in the movie...): Although at least it was used to set something up, even if it's still a terrible thing to ask character-wise.

"Aha, walking like a zombie is the new hot thing!"
"Minako..."
If only you guys could hear the desperate exasperation in Rei's voice in response to that stupid line, it was perfect. And...did Tuxedo Mask just get an ocarina solo intro? Not gonna lie, that was pretty sick. Tuxedo Mask with the Sailor Tuxedo Body Attack to protect Chibi-Usa!

"What's the meaning of this, Poopy Lawn?"
"Queen Body On!"
I'm going to assume that I didn't hear those right...but now "Pearl" sure seems a lot better in comparison. Oh no, speaking of, we're switching Chibi-Usa for Pearl? This isn't fair or in any way equitable. Though Mamoru is down for the count, too - I'm pretty okay with that, means I won't hear that lousy "Usako" name until hopefully the end of the movie at worst.

I guess Pluto got better? ...Also, I was just about to say "man, they could've made Haruka's talisman sword thingy a little less silly looking if they were going to actually ever have her use it as a weapon"...but then it turned into a freaking lightsabre, so never mind. And Uranus continues to have no chill by just cutting the dude up the moment he tried to make a move. And...I have no comment about what Neptune had to say about why it's important to be able to grow up.

"Chibi-Usa looks like she's having a BEAUTIFUL DREAM, so why wake her from it?" Okay, so these sugar fairies or whatever are transformed animals just like the Amazon Trio, and now fake Mamoru mentioned BEAUTIFUL DREAMS? It's still SuperS, I guess...

Pretty decent, but I think a bit weaker than the first two. Woulda been better without that terrible Pearl character. The S Movie is probably the best out of the movies even if it's nominally weirder.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Go... nuts. Chibi? Chibi Chibi!

49 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Sailor Moon SuperS: The Movie!

Reveal hidden contents

What a strange opening - I thought I was watching a Ghibli movie for a minute there. "Some chocolate a day keeps the doctor away!" Yeah, I think everyone can guess who said that. ...So I guess Makoto's parents lived long enough that she knew them? That's...good. I'm not clear on when or what they died of, but I guess at least she has some memories... Why always poor Makoto?

Poor Chibi-Usa: she's always saddled with just the worst friends. I mean, I guess it's kind of her fault, but... lmao, this freaky awkward Helios doppelganger boy's name is Pearl? Uh, okay. Huh. Gosh, I wish Usagi would've stayed permanently broken up with Mamoru back in R. "Who's more important to you - me or Chibi-Usa?" That is a monstrous question to ask of the father of your child about yourself and said child. I know she's still a broken-brained 16 year old girl or whatever...but my goodness. (edit from much later on in the movie...): Although at least it was used to set something up, even if it's still a terrible thing to ask character-wise.

"Aha, walking like a zombie is the new hot thing!"
"Minako..."
If only you guys could hear the desperate exasperation in Rei's voice in response to that stupid line, it was perfect. And...did Tuxedo Mask just get an ocarina solo intro? Not gonna lie, that was pretty sick. Tuxedo Mask with the Sailor Tuxedo Body Attack to protect Chibi-Usa!

"What's the meaning of this, Poopy Lawn?"
"Queen Body On!"
I'm going to assume that I didn't hear those right...but now "Pearl" sure seems a lot better in comparison. Oh no, speaking of, we're switching Chibi-Usa for Pearl? This isn't fair or in any way equitable. Though Mamoru is down for the count, too - I'm pretty okay with that, means I won't hear that lousy "Usako" name until hopefully the end of the movie at worst.

I guess Pluto got better? ...Also, I was just about to say "man, they could've made Haruka's talisman sword thingy a little less silly looking if they were going to actually ever have her use it as a weapon"...but then it turned into a freaking lightsabre, so never mind. And Uranus continues to have no chill by just cutting the dude up the moment he tried to make a move. And...I have no comment about what Neptune had to say about why it's important to be able to grow up.

"Chibi-Usa looks like she's having a BEAUTIFUL DREAM, so why wake her from it?" Okay, so these sugar fairies or whatever are transformed animals just like the Amazon Trio, and now fake Mamoru mentioned BEAUTIFUL DREAMS? It's still SuperS, I guess...

Pretty decent, but I think a bit weaker than the first two. Woulda been better without that terrible Pearl character. The S Movie is probably the best out of the movies even if it's nominally weirder.

Mako-chan. Chibi. :(

Spoiler

In the manga Makoto's parents died in a plane crash when she was still "young", although no age is given (at least, I don't think so, but I haven't yet read everything). There's no backstory how she managed to live on her own from then on, but some sort of larger inheritance is usually the go to theory, but the truth is, it doesn't really matter.

She wants to have a family of her own because she never truly had one, which makes her luck with men all the worse. Sometimes I wonder if even Ms. Takeuchi hated her. I mean come on, give the poor girl a break for a change. It's not like anyone who isn't Usagi or Mamoru gets something worthwhile out of their lives (other than to protect and serve), but Mako really gets stepped on while she's down for the count, huh?

Asking Mamoru who is more important to him is such a stupid SuperS-y thing to do. It fits the season, but really... we dealt with that back in R before we knew that she's their child. At least that's over now. I'm really curious what you will think about Sailor Stars. I mean, once the filler story arc is over. I have a hunch that'll be a tad too serious mode all in all (still has some fun and some moving scenes though).

Just try to pretend like SuperS never happened and the show picked up directly after S. That'll make Usagi's interactions with Chibi-Usa much less whiplash inducing.

• Like 2

SU

Spoiler

Is Steven serious Mamoru'ing Connie right now? I don't like that... at all. I hope this stops quickly.

edit: phew, glad that turned out all right.

Edited by majestic

I haven't watched much, but Sailor Stars has a new intro song and I did laugh when Ami got the spotlight and she was eating an ice cream while pretending to study. Better than most of her time in Super S tbh.

@majestic I haven't seen you post anything about JoJo in a while, have you passed 

The Nazis in Mexico part yet?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

I haven't watched much, but Sailor Stars has a new intro song and I did laugh when Ami got the spotlight and she was eating an ice cream while pretending to study. Better than most of her time in Super S tbh.

@majestic I haven't seen you post anything about JoJo in a while, have you passed 

Reveal hidden contents

The Nazis in Mexico part yet?

No, not really, my nephew is hugging the TV where he's watching YouTubers I want to launch into space on a rocket without re-entry capability. He's visiting over the Easter holidays of his school. It'll probably be until some time after Easter until I can watch JoJo's again. I mean, I could also watch on the PC, but that doesn't feel right, I tried. 

I liked the new intro. The song grew on me after a while too. How far have you gotten?

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, majestic said:

SU

Reveal hidden contents

Is Steven serious Mamoru'ing Connie right now? I don't like that... at all. I hope this stops quickly.

edit: phew, glad that turned out all right.

Uh...Open Book, right? Though I'm not certain what you mean by that! If I have the wrong episode and you haven't actually seen it, then don't read the following spoiler:

Spoiler

The first time I watched that episode, I just about died of cringe during the lead up to the end - right up until Room!Connie subverted my expectations and it was actually about the book, which retroactively made everything way less weird and awkward. Phew. If that's what you were referring to, then yeah, I totally get that, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Uh...Open Book, right? Though I'm not certain what you mean by that! If I have the wrong episode and you haven't actually seen it, then don't read the following spoiler:

Hide contents

The first time I watched that episode, I just about died of cringe during the lead up to the end - right up until Room!Connie subverted my expectations and it was actually about the book, which retroactively made everything way less weird and awkward. Phew. If that's what you were referring to, then yeah, I totally get that, :p.

Spoiler

I saw that already too, but I was talking about Steven trying to break up with Connie to "protect" her in Full Disclosure. :)

edit:

I forgot to add something!

Spoiler

Chibi.

Spoiler

Chibi Chibi!

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Okay, that's what I thought you were talking about at first, but I didn't expect you to go right past the season finale without saying anything about it, so I had to come up with an alternative explanation that made sense to me, :p.

Since you're now on season 2, just a little word of warning: got a group of sillier, lowkey episodes to start the season, then a lot better stuff after that. There's a really dumb episode that's not even canon called "Say Uncle" that you'll have to please excuse - Cartoon Network interference, :).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

Okay, that's what I thought you were talking about at first, but I didn't expect you to go right past the season finale without saying anything about it, so I had to come up with an alternative explanation that made sense to me, :p.

That's because I just let the playlist run. I, uhm, was kind of engaged and started to binge. So that's how that happened.

Spoiler

But yeah, called it. Although I'm surprised how Ruby and Saphire were. Not, uhm, at all like the sum of their parts, and I hope Lapis isn't going to be stuck at the bottom of the ocean forever. :(

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, majestic said:

No, not really, my nephew is hugging the TV where he's watching YouTubers I want to launch into space on a rocket without re-entry capability. He's visiting over the Easter holidays of his school. It'll probably be until some time after Easter until I can watch JoJo's again. I mean, I could also watch on the PC, but that doesn't feel right, I tried. 

I liked the new intro. The song grew on me after a while too. How far have you gotten?

Literally just the intro song lmao. I don't hate it, and while I did end up liking the first intro I'm currently associating it with Super S so a break is good.

I'll keep that in mind and will try my best to avoid memes or jokes that may spoil too much. Those YouTubers deserve to be launched into space, but that might be too good for them. At least it spares us tho.

Edit: double quote, because I am a dumbass

Edited by ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP
  • Like 2