Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

True confession, I'd never heard of a cheese griller before. I take it is a type of sausage with cheese already mixed into it?

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 minutes ago, Amentep said:

True confession, I'd never heard of a cheese griller before. I take it is a type of sausage with cheese already mixed into it?

Yes, exactly that. Sausage like frankfurter but with pockets of cheese in it 🧀

I think its originally from Germany and Austria but I always assumed it was common throughout the world 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 11/7/2021 at 1:58 AM, BruceVC said:

...cheese grillers...

I make these all the time. Ive tried experimenting by using "better" cheese like a nice sharp cheddar but I always go back to crappy old American Cheese because it has the best "melt". The other cheeses dont melt by the time the bread is toasted. ;( 

EDIT: Woops, guess I should have read all the posts first. My grilled cheese doesnt have any meat.

Grilled-Cheese-1280-36-640x800.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

It is fairly common but the name isn't

What are they normally called?

8 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I make these all the time. Ive tried experimenting by using "better" cheese like a nice sharp cheddar but I always go back to crappy old American Cheese because it has the best "melt". The other cheeses dont melt by the time the bread is toasted. ;( 

EDIT: Woops, guess I should have read all the posts first. My grilled cheese doesnt have any meat.

I've never had grilled cheese for breakfast before, but its what I thought of when I read "Cheese griller".

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I typically see them called cheese or sometimes the specific type of cheese-whatever kind of sausage or sometime just sausage depending on the brand and type. So it could be cheese dog or cheese sausage or cheddar brat or my personal favorite jalapeno cheddar sausage.

Grilled cheese sandwich is the first thing I thought of too

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

46 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Oh, I understand the confusion. You guys assumed when I said " cheese griller " I meant toasted cheese sandwich 

A cheese griller is a type of sausage 

https://www.feinschmecker.co.za/product/cheese-grillers/#:~:text=Cheese grillers are a coarse textured sausage with,sausage weighs 65 grams. Product Range Enquiry Form

Great photo by the way, delicious looking sandwich Gfted1 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

32 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

See, I have never seen this name before either but it was much, much easier to parse. 

Isnt it funny how some words are different in our countries and mean totally different things :lol:

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

John Milton 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carniolan_sausage#Variations_and_preparation I guess.

Absolutely fantastic way to burn your lips, by the way. Melted cheese is a lot better at transferring heat to your skin than, say, meat. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've always heard it referred to as [type of cheese] [type of meat when not pork] sausage. Besides, smoking sausage is much better than grilling it.

It can be good, but as @majestic says the cheese stays way hotter than the meat so you often get burned by cheese or you get cold(er) meat. I think jalapeño cheese is the best, but unlike @ShadySands I'd go with jack over cheddar.

But since sausage isn't super healthy, I ate some yogurt and granola.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Those cauliflower/egg round things make good "pizza things". So I've been toasting them first then adding the sauce, pepperoni, cheese, jalepeno's and spinich and top-broiling them. Went to make more today and ... the large tub of sauce I'd made was near gone. Stared at hubby.

"Oh...yeah. I forgot to tell you.  You're going to have to make more pizza sauce."  (it's not like he doesn't know how to make it himself...)

Last week he also ate my last piece of dark chocolate bar.
I think he needs some re-training lessons.  :bat:

Anyway ... it's nice to be able to eat "pizza" without much carb guilt.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Passed by the Greek bakery close to my house, total madhouse inside, but got some Kok (the store called it Koki)

For an English speaker a somewhat unfortunate term, but that was a very good pastry.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

17 hours ago, majestic said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carniolan_sausage#Variations_and_preparation I guess.

Absolutely fantastic way to burn your lips, by the way. Melted cheese is a lot better at transferring heat to your skin than, say, meat. :yes:

Emmenthal is a good choice of cheese for your standard cheese griller because of how the taste improves when heated  and its well known to be a good cheese to melt , you Austrians never disappoint when it comes to gastronomy 

Thats another thing I love about cheese generally how different cheeses taste and textures improve when melted 🧀

John Milton 

Okay watch this video and try to guess the secret sausage ingredient and then ask yourself " would you eat that " ?

John Milton 

5 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I found my new favorite wing sauce:

BaY3pIj.jpeg

Not very spicy, but that's easily adjusted if necessary. I love the slight hint of cilantro.

Looks great, I know we have all discussed this before but I love my hot sauces. I normally have at least 6-10 different types in my fridge and cupboard and I am always prepared to try something new

And I am always loyal to favorites like Tabasco and Louisiana really does seem to have the best variety of hot sauces in the US  and you get most of the sauces below  in SA 🌶️

https://shop.louisiana-brand.com/collections/hot-sauces

• Like 1

John Milton 

My new favorite hot sauce has been Jersey Barnfire black garlic hot sauce because I really enjoy the flavor and my all time favorite is Red Devil from Trappey's and I use it for everything, especially wings.

I don't like hot sauces that are all burn and cover the taste of the food.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Homemade scotch bonnet sauce works for me, insanely hot pepper for me but in a sauce it's ok.  Fun experience to try - cook with scotch bonnets and bite into one in your dish.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

5 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I don't like hot sauces that are all burn and cover the taste of the food.

One of the worst food things is where it's so hot you can't actually taste the food. In my experience it's usually the novelty hot wings or crawfish, which is easy enough to avoid at least.

I can't find the black garlic hot sauce, but they have a black garlic bacon one. Have you tried that and is it ok?

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

23 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I haven't tried the bacon one yet, sorry

I already bit the bullet, if it's bad I'll let yall kow.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malcador said:

Homemade scotch bonnet sauce works for me, insanely hot pepper for me but in a sauce it's ok.  Fun experience to try - cook with scotch bonnets and bite into one in your dish.

Scotch bonnet is above my normal heat range, I generally stop at serrano, but not so far out of my range that I couldn't be coaxed into trying it under the right circumstances. You get into ghost pepper territory and you'll need to hand me a hundred dollar bill to even consider eating it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I need to try making artichokes like this. I've always just cooked them with no embellishment and ate them with a little mayo-based dipping sauce. Also, watching this lady, like for many others, is kinda like watching/listening to my grandma. She is/was precious (she passed some years ago at age 98). Her grandson did the filming.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Jersey Barnfire black garlic bacon hot sauce. It's a smokey heat with a slow burn, black garlic is subtle. Breddy gud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1