Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

am guessing that is a chili sauce based russian dressing... or a bottle brand such as wishbone? ordinarily, russian dressing is something like a 4:1 ratio o' mayo to chili sauce or ketchup, which is unlikely to result in a sauce quite as vibrant as you have pictured.

that said, am enjoying a good reuben. we make our own sauerkraut in the garage (we go a bit heavy on the juniper berries) when it gets cool enough... such as it is current in nor cal. takes 'bout two weeks per batch, depending on temps. is a couple kosher delis where we get nice corned beef. is indeed a fine sandwich choice.

HA! Good Fun!

ps no criticism meant on store bought dressing if that is what is utilized. if you find something you like, then why not use premade? 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I made spaghetti on Monday and tacos yesterday and today I made some chorizo and egg burritos for lunch. 

I asked my son what he wanted for Thanksgiving and he said sushi. I don't think we'll be going that route but I got a good laugh out of it, that boy loves sushi.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

4 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I made spaghetti on Monday and tacos yesterday and today I made some chorizo and egg burritos for lunch. 

I asked my son what he wanted for Thanksgiving and he said sushi. I don't think we'll be going that route but I got a good laugh out of it, that boy loves sushi.

could make him cape cod turkey, but am guessing is not what either o' you would want. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

The King of Sandwiches- The Reuben:

z3aedDE.jpeg

I'd probably rank a hot chicken sandwich over a reuben, but it is definitely in the top tiers of stuff between bread.

Anyways I'm going to make some halibut when I get home to eat with some spaghetti squash that got roasted yesterday.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:

am guessing that is a chili sauce based russian dressing... or a bottle brand such as wishbone?

It's Wishbone, I like it fine. I'm sure better recipes exist, but I'm not dedicated enough to make my own Russian dressing and Wishbone is the only kind I can usually find on a supermarket shelf. Much bigger selection if I went the Thousand Island route, but I generally prefer Russian on a reuben.

14 minutes ago, KP Cross Split Attack said:

I'd probably rank a hot chicken sandwich over a reuben, but it is definitely in the top tiers of stuff between bread.

Hot chicken is definitely a top tier sandwich, as is a Cubano.

Edit: Which reminds me, when I go to southern Florida for the holidays there's definitely a Cubano with my name on it.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

It's Wishbone, I like it fine. I'm sure better recipes exist, but I'm not dedicated enough to make my own Russian dressing and Wishbone is the only kind I can usually find on a supermarket shelf. Much bigger selection if I went the Thousand Island route, but I generally prefer Russian on a reuben.

Hot chicken is definitely a top tier sandwich, as is a Cubano.

Edit: Which reminds me, when I go to southern Florida for the holidays there's definitely a Cubano with my name on it.

I think most variations of grilled cheese with meat are good, and the Cubano is probably one of the better ones.

I'm trying to think of a bottom tier sandwich and the first thing that comes to mind is a tuna melt.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

8 minutes ago, KP Cross Split Attack said:

I think most variations of grilled cheese with meat are good, and the Cubano is probably one of the better ones.

I'm trying to think of a bottom tier sandwich and the first thing that comes to mind is a tuna melt.

Funny enough, a (cold) tuna sandwich is among my favorites, but I dislike tuna melts.

• Like 3

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

18 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Funny enough, a (cold) tuna sandwich is among my favorites, but I dislike tuna melts.

I think comparing it to a tuna (salad) sandwich is why it comes up so short. Like you can have the same thing but better and with less effort, why would you do that?

• Like 2

am a fan o' beef on weck, which is kinda an outlier as we do like cheese paired with our meats. then again, sloppy joes and pulled pork sandwiches don't ordinarily include cheese and both is gonna rank near the top o' our lists for best sandwich options. we do infrequent add pimento cheese to our sloppy joes and the pairing is delicious. 

a weird option we almost never get a chance to enjoy is beef tongue on pumpernickel. if you got a decent kosher deli in your area which also makes sandwiches, we highly recommend trying at least once. am realizing beef tongue likely does not sound appetizing, but don't let the name fool you.  we make with swiss as often as not, but traditional is meat and spicy brown mustard on rye or pumpernickel. 

IMG_0065.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

ps found a more appetizing picture. also, if you are daring enough to order, make sure is smoked beef tongue. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

And can it vouch for yours?

seems like an innocuous enough query until you consider what the actualization o' a carnivorous bovine might entail.

fddGdEucJ0oCGLQokFptggxv0Rmy5gDkDk5gHlxa

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 2

Had an early Thanksgiving dinner with my oldest brother and his wife.  A great amount of food was had (roasted chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes, rolls, dressing, baked slices of potato, sweet potato, butternut squash, acorn squash, cauliflower, broccolli, carrots, corn-on-the-cob, and finally dressing).  Dessert was pavlova, which I'd never had before and was quite good.  

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Had an early Thanksgiving dinner with my oldest brother and his wife.  A great amount of food was had (roasted chicken, gravy, mashed potatoes, rolls, dressing, baked slices of potato, sweet potato, butternut squash, acorn squash, cauliflower, broccolli, carrots, corn-on-the-cob, and finally dressing).  Dessert was pavlova, which I'd never had before and was quite good.  

Great dinner, lots of nice choices  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 11/19/2021 at 1:40 AM, Gromnir said:

am a fan o' beef on weck, which is kinda an outlier as we do like cheese paired with our meats. then again, sloppy joes and pulled pork sandwiches don't ordinarily include cheese and both is gonna rank near the top o' our lists for best sandwich options. we do infrequent add pimento cheese to our sloppy joes and the pairing is delicious. 

a weird option we almost never get a chance to enjoy is beef tongue on pumpernickel. if you got a decent kosher deli in your area which also makes sandwiches, we highly recommend trying at least once. am realizing beef tongue likely does not sound appetizing, but don't let the name fool you.  we make with swiss as often as not, but traditional is meat and spicy brown mustard on rye or pumpernickel. 

IMG_0065.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

ps found a more appetizing picture. also, if you are daring enough to order, make sure is smoked beef tongue. 

American Jewish community know there Reuben sandwiches, that looks delicious. I have never eaten an authentic Reuben and do you know this sandwich was created in the USA in more or less the  1920s 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I took these last year but then forgot about posting them. Was reminded this weekend after getting some more of it:

NKcMGAV.jpg

Various game (wild boar, hare, deer).

bviE51a.jpg

Blood sausage... :) 

EbtbhFH.jpg

This is goose liver, and I have no excuse for its ethical downsides, to be honest, but it's good. 

• Like 4

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Y'all are so "exotic" with all your foods. This afternoon I just had this lowly soup - chicken bone broth+sausage and ham bits+spinach. And my wasa crackers w/yogurt on top. 

food-003.jpg

...also, for the life of me I can't take a good picture of food. The color and lighting always comes out terrible. Makes you appreciate pro food pics.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

The steak was medium because that's my wife's jam. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

The deviled eggs were so delicious that I went ahead and used the rest of the dozen today to make more. Granted, I don't really have a ton of options of what to do with eggs in my truck. I didn't bring a frying pan, just a small pot with a lid to use on the small hot plate I have. Anyway, I'm curious what folks mix in with the egg yolks. I use a fairly standard recipe: Lots of mayo, a little mustard, and a little horseradish, plus the customary sprinkle of paprika on top after the filling is in the egg. Side note: I'm not sure how available it is in other parts of the country, much less internationally, but Duke's mayonnaise is the best. It's made in Richmond, VA and you can find it everywhere in the Virginias and Carolinas, but I haven't really noticed it in other places. You can toss Hellmann's in the trash, Duke's is better and usually the same price, if not cheaper, and Miracle Whip was made by either a lunatic or a psychopath, that stuff is vile. Anyway, does anyone put anything else in their deviled eggs?

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸