Build Thread 3.0

6 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Is really this single monstrosity all I need to connect it?

Go for two separate cables instead, it'll be more stable that way. Having multiple connectors for video cards per cable is sort of a compromise for people who run multiple video cards, which isn't something that really happens much these days.

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

22 hours ago, Wormerine said:

My graphic card has total 16 pins (8 + 8). Is really this single monstrosity all I need to connect it? It feels kinda odd to plug all four heads, while while a single 8header goes into the PSU.

My 2080ti has the single "cord" that (gpu end wise) separates into the two pin plugs, that go into the card.  They are both plugged into the card and other end into the PSU.  It works just fine/it's intended?
gpu-plugs.jpg

The old 980ti had the same thing except the secondary pin/plug was smaller/less pins at the time.  So I'm not sure what is meant by Humanoid's "go for two cables".  Going by your picture I'd expect that both pin-plugs would need to be plugged into the gpu (eg, there is not one left dangling unconnected).  But again, I may be misunderstanding/confused re: context here and per usual if that's the case, just ignore me....

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
15 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

So I'm not sure what is meant by Humanoid's "go for two cables".

Well, apparently you can use two cables (connect each 8 GPU pin to it's own PCIe power slot in the PSU) to provide it with enough power, especially with overclocking. That's what I did today following @Humanoid's advice.

xd7Ec6J.jpg

(it's super ugly with those space headers dangling, but I will take care of it tomorrow once I plug in remaining drives and tidy up come cables. A nice custom 16 pin cable does look very enticing right now.

That said:

pDODSSx.jpg

Behold! It works. 

The graphic card though... really?

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, Wormerine said:

Well, apparently you can use two cables (connect each 8 GPU pin to it's own PCIe power slot in the PSU) to provide it with enough power, especially with overclocking.

Ah, ok.  I never bother with stuff like that and just use what the package gives me.  Always works fine so I don't think about it outside of that (and I don't even know how/ever tried to manually OC).

That animated thing - that's on the card? How ridiculous.  If the software has any way to turn that off (like you can turn off the RGB), I'd do it.  But I suppose some may like the bling/find it funny etc.  Whatever.  :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts
58 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

That animated thing - that's on the card? How ridiculous.  If the software has any way to turn that off (like you can turn off the RGB), I'd do it.

Yup, it's own LCD screen. You have this useless animated thing, but you can also set it up to show GPU info (tremperature, load, power draw, frequency etc) which I currently have it on. You can also upload your own picture of gif. VANITY!

Yeah, I will be turning it all of, especially as the case will be on my left side. Otherwise, I might have kept the GPU info on.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, kirottu said:

Can you play Doom on the LCD screen?

Uuuuu.... new Doom is on my "to play" list. Maybe I can run Doom remake on one screen, and original Doom on the graphic's card.

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

Uuuuu.... new Doom is on my "to play" list. Maybe I can run Doom remake on one screen, and original Doom on the graphic's card.

If you do them both at the same time, I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a threesome.

• Gasp! 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:52 PM, LadyCrimson said:

My 2080ti has the single "cord" that (gpu end wise) separates into the two pin plugs, that go into the card.  They are both plugged into the card and other end into the PSU.  It works just fine/it's intended?

Just came over this video (ha! YouTube will probably be recommending me PC building vid for a while!). In case time stamp won’t work it’s: 17:40. Seems like single cable will most likely be ok, but it will draw more power then it was build for.

• Like 1

I dunno ... I don't see how that benefits an average schmuck like me who doesn't OC or anything like that. I doubt most such who are like me have ever used two separate cables on any gpu and they've all "been just fine for 5-10 years."  eg, the life of using the thing.  It might be the most "optimal" in an "OCD" tech kind of way but it isn't really that important to the average person over the average use/lifetime of the product.  Hubby's an electrician type (as well as IT/network and all that other stuff), I asked him, and he doesn't give a fart/worry for something like this, so I won't either.

I'm not saying one shouldn't do it, mind, everyone's got their things, but I'm just not going to care enough to bother because it doesn't trigger any of my personal "ocd" tendencies and I've never had a problem from not doing it. :) 

Edited by LadyCrimson

Daisy chaining is usually fine, it's just best practice not to daisy chain if you don't have to. No point changing it though if there's no problem. If you want a recent example of when it was a fairly big problem though a lot of the instability people were having with 5700XTs were not actually due to AMD's drivers, but due to daisy chaining the two 8 pins on the same cable.