Build Thread 3.0

Amentep

Slowly putting together a new PC. Not that my old one is "outdated", as much as it has developed quirks and occasionally refuse to boot up. Even if trying to boot from a USB stick. Got some new SSD drives (4tb) and a Gigabyte motherboard. I'm going to reuse my old case, PSU, existing drives (and my Windows), soundcard and graphics card (none of which are in any way state of the art). The two things I still need is a CPU (getting the Intel I7 20 core cpu of some variety) and some RAM (getting 64gb of Corsair ram). All in all, it will have cost me about $2400 AUD including additonal SSD's (roughly $1500 USD)

Edit: I really haven't had much joy out of Asus cards over the years, be they gfx or motherboards :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Slowly putting together a new PC. Not that my old one is "outdated", as much as it has developed quirks and occasionally refuse to boot up. Even if trying to boot from a USB stick. Got some new SSD drives (4tb) and a Gigabyte motherboard. I'm going to reuse my old case, PSU, existing drives (and my Windows), soundcard and graphics card (none of which are in any way state of the art). The two things I still need is a CPU (getting the Intel I7 20 core cpu of some variety) and some RAM (getting 64gb of Corsair ram). All in all, it will have cost me about $2400 AUD including additonal SSD's (roughly $1500 USD)

Edit: I really haven't had much joy out of Asus cards over the years, be they gfx or motherboards :(

Out of curiosity, why the intel cpu?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

3 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Out of curiosity, why the intel cpu?

Only cpu''s I've been familiar with since the Motorola 68040? 🤷‍♂️

Price and overclocking isn't a consideration, so generally in the past, I looked at compatibility and stability (and at some point in the past, years ago, AMD struggled with those, if only for a few years). So I stuck with what I was familiar with. Also why I went for Gigabyte, bad experiences with ASUS, good experiences with Gigabyte, so it's what I go for gravitate towards.

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Only cpu''s I've been familiar with since the Motorola 68040? 🤷‍♂️

Price and overclocking isn't a consideration, so generally in the past, I looked at compatibility and stability (and at some point in the past, years ago, AMD struggled with those, if only for a few years). So I stuck with what I was familiar with. Also why I went for Gigabyte, bad experiences with ASUS, good experiences with Gigabyte, so it's what I go for gravitate towards.

Hahaha! 😄

It might be worth reconsidering that, you ought to look at some reviews. AMD is pretty amazing nowadays, while Intel has some issues being power hungry and hot. Gamers Nexus has a pretty decent video from a couple of months ago, with timestamps to save you time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRF2bDl-u8

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Hahaha! 😄

It might be worth reconsidering that, you ought to look at some reviews. AMD is pretty amazing nowadays, while Intel has some issues being power hungry and hot. Gamers Nexus has a pretty decent video from a couple of months ago, with timestamps to save you time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRF2bDl-u8

Since I've bought everything else except the CPU and ram, it's sort what if speculation now anyway ;)

7 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Since I've bought everything else except the CPU and ram, it's sort what if speculation now anyway ;)

No "ångerrätt"? 🤔

3 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

No "ångerrätt"? 🤔

I don't think so, when it's all opened and bolted together in the case... no returns there other than under warranty if it happens to have manufacturing defects

edit: that is, assuming it's the same as "buyers remorse" down here

• Thanks 1

Don't let the reviews or the fanbyos fool you, good choice. AM5 had some serious teething issues, or maybe still has, supposedly the AGESA updates to improve compatibility with DDR5 helped.

Just, uhm, make sure that your mainboard settings in the BIOS don't allow your CPU to overdose iself on power. There seems to be a creeping stability issue because current mainboard settings allow the current Intel CPUs to chomp too much power for their own good. Basically all new CPUs can overclock themselves depending on certain conditions, and with the 13900K and the current 14th "gen" CPUs, these limits seem to vector off into unstable regions if your mainboard allows the CPU unlimited power draw.

Asus is particularily insane, with it's default setting allowing the CPU to pull up to 511A (in words five hundred and eleven, just to make sure you don't think this is a typo) through the VCC rail, which is way beyond the "extreme overclocking" limit set by Intel, and as the name implies, exreme overclocking just might not be entirely stable or safe for your CPU.

Not that Intel is actively doing anything to discourage that, because it makes for bigger numbers in reviews, and bigger numbers is better. Biggerbetter, so to say. :yes:  In the not very distant past, AMD didn't either, until their CPUs started exploding.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

My screen randomly decided to go "No Signal" on my ass. Tried replugging the cable, tried all three display ports on my GPU, tried the onboard display port - all to no avail. Either the cable died, or the display port on my screen.

Switched back to HDMI. Not much of a loss going from 144hz to 120hz anyway. Going to try the cable at work, if that is not the culprit, I guess it is time to buy a new screen. This ancient AOC screen with a TN panel is, uhm, well... let's just say it wasn't state of the art when I got it a long ways back, and it certainly did not age like fine wine.

8okfnz.jpg

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 hours ago, majestic said:

Something like a LG UltraGear OLED 27GS95QE-B, but probably not before summer, unless the problem's not the cable and the screen dies before that. :)

I love my OLED, though I was unpleasantly surprised that it pops up a pixel refresh window in my face every few hours.

• Hmmm 1

I like OLED have run an OLED laptop for a few years now, and especially post laser eye surgery, really appreciate the elimination of glare. But while I would happily drop the cash on the now-acceptable pricing on a solid OLED gaming monitor, the problem is that I have three monitors and I don't think just replacing one of them on its lonesome is going to help me much. Getting three of them for ~$3.5k is not on the table just yet, but with current Aussie pricing I think the AW2725DF is clearly the product that makes the most sense for me.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G