Beg-Packers

ktchong

1 hour ago, 213374U said:

Sure. I just fail to see how this is worth even mentioning when the solution is as simple as not giving freeloaders money. I know I don't.

As I stated before it's a cultural thing for those countries, but sure let's throw a know it all western solution without acknowledgement of the difference in cultures. It worked so well so far ;)

Edited by Skarpen

166215__front.jpg

Homelessness is a pretty big problem here and it's a pretty complex problem as well. Just like here there is probably a lot more going on there than people just not wanting to use shelters, I mean, in our case we simply don't have near enough beds for everyone. Near my office there is a road which is often referred to as skid row because of all the vehicles there that people are living out of and it seems like these people are largely the working homeless, people have have jobs or a fixed income but can't afford a place to live (or possibly a place to live and their vehicles) especially with our rising housing costs. We have our share of people that are homeless because of drugs and mental illness, which tend to go hand in hand, but most people that I've spoken to or been told about (my wife's good friend is a social worker that works with the homeless) have just had some really bad breaks they couldn't recover from.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

19 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

In Poland homeless people often don't want to go to shelters because of the "no alcohol" rule. Some people just don't want to be helped.

This is also a reality  in CPT, there are certain prudent rules in these shelters and some homeless  refuse to abide by them. I dont think its a majority but I know for some they simply chose to not be told what to do around not drinking or taking drugs 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

9 minutes ago, Skarpen said:

As I stated before it's a cultural thing for those countries, but sure let's throw a know it all western solution without acknowledgement of the difference in cultures. It worked so well so far ;)

How is exercising your own discretion a "know-it-all western solution"? Is common sense an exclusive western trait now?

I'm no expert and I suppose it's possible that letting yourself be taken advantage of is a big deal in some culture, but even so, I'm inclined to let them sort it out. They would likely appreciate western paternalism even less than the alternative.

But by all means, don't stop being outraged on someone else's behalf on my account.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Again, it looks like they were performing, not just begging ( I didnt watch either, just based on the picture :p). Playing a guitar on the street is different than sitting with a sign out. Both people might be dealing with similar circumstances, but one is clearly offering something in exchange for your money. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Again, it looks like they were performing, not just begging ( I didnt watch either, just based on the picture :p). Playing a guitar on the street is different than sitting with a sign out. Both people might be dealing with similar circumstances, but one is clearly offering something in exchange for your money. 

I was actively encouraged by my family in CPT   to not give money to beggars because it perpetuates the problem, I am not sure I agree with that view as when I lived in JHB I would often give money to people who approached me in my car at traffic lights. But in CPT its more about people wanting money when you walk past them and they tend to follow you 

But I do give money to people who perform in the streets and play musical instruments because I respect there skill and creativity. So I support the principle of buskers 

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'd also argue Sharpie's point about rich western kids. Rich kids don't backpack across Europe and stay in Hostels. These are likey middle class kids, maybe even upper middle class, but hardly rich. The rich use yachts and stay in fancy palaces.

Thry are probably on a tight budget and this is one way for them to keep they trip going. Sounds miserable to me, but I doubt this is something new. The hippy parallel is correct.

It's part of northern European culture really, hailing from romanticism, where a journey to the south was part of coming of age for those who could afford this. As the world was a smaller place up until recently, it was "easier" to find people to take a person in, so much more so since that person might be the most up-to-date source of news from home.

In school we had to read Aus dem Leben eines Taugenichts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aus_dem_Leben_eines_Taugenichts The main character reminds me of the beg packers in a way.

With the internet we don't need to take someone in to speak our language outside the immediate family.

Athens has been seeing it's share of beg packers. Not a fan.

But the issue should not be mixed up with the homeless problem.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

So.. Bruce's thing is not having homeless ojn the streets so loves a law to make it illegal to do so. Greta. What's the punishment? A fine they can't pay? Or prison time? GREAT IDEA. That is one way to stop homelessness - give them a home and paid meals. That is good stuff.

As for the topic, just more easily TRIGGERED people whining about a silly issue. And, makingit another nati white stuff.

This same thing can be said about people leaving their home country, going to the west, and living/begging for gov't handouts. 

*shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.