Jump to content

Please, widescreen support (21:9) !


Recommended Posts

+1 for 21:9 support, until this game supports that I will vote with my wallet and not reward developers for lazy programming, no matter how good the game is. I've also posted this over in reddit and got stampeded with downvotes pretty quickly. 

As of the last steam survey 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 have nearly the same adoption rate as 3840x2160. That UW implementation is fairly straightforward and developmentally inexpensive I'm appalled that this game doesn't have native UW support right out of the gate. 

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, smaller dev studio, native 21:9 right out of the gate. I could list other examples but I don't want to belabor the point. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/theouterworlds/comments/dn3gyw/the_lack_of_219_ultrawide_support_in_2019_is/

Let me know when you implement a feature that should have been implemented from the get go in a AA title from 2019. 

Is this 2009? No it's 2019. 

 

Edited by vulcan78
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To add to this, G-sync doesn't work at all in Windowed Fullscreen. Probably the biggest issue I have and makes it hard to play since it's not smooth. I have the correct options set in Nvidia CP and also have it set to display when G-sync is active. I have to put it into Fullscreen mode, but then I can't run it in Ultrawide (2650x1440 is max setting there).

 

Edit:  I don't know what changed, but I deleted my GameUserSettings.ini file and it recreated one - after that Gsync works in windowed fullscreen now.

Edit2: Rebooted and now it doesn't work again. Seems to be an issue with my LG 34GK950F. Gsync works fine in other games on it. 

Edited by Treadpool
Update on gsync
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you so much Speeko for posting this. It`s working as expected and as suspected the immersion is much better. Either way i would like full ultra-wide support to be implemented in game by devs so we don`t need to use third party software for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

After some fiddling I managed to get the game running at 2560x1440 on my 3440x1440 screen at least...

Had to add a custom resolution to the registry via Custom Resolution Utility (CRU).

Then changed my desktop resolution to the new 2560x1440.

Finally, I had to enable GPU-Scaling in Radeon Settings and set the Scaling mode to "Centered Trimmings" instead of the intuitive "Maintain Aspect Ratio".

Now I can run the game at 2560x1440 in Full Screen Mode with black borders left and right. While this is no wide screen fix in any way, it makes the game at least playable on my widescreen.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Pilda said:

The problems is that they were even lazy to make a proper UI for PC players so they just did UI for consoles and slightly tweaked it to be somehow working at least . To do another UI for just ultra wide screen would be too much for them.

Not even necessary. Just keep the UI where it is and expand the 3D view left and right.

I'm no big fan of UI elements sitting on the edges of my ultrawide screen anyway...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wanted to add my request for a proper Ultrawide support for this beautiful game. Please fix this, Obsidian! Thanks a lot.

Oh, and please fix the black character in character creation/screen:

 

535990379_Anmerkung2019-10-26185757.thumb.jpg.b20de8435520c00bf368fafddf6282a8.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2019 at 12:15 PM, Speeko said:

+1 for 21:9 support.

For those unaware, a trainer is available that fixes the "zoomed in" effect and pillarboxing in dialogue.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1442-the-outer-worlds-ultrawide-dual-monitor-mod/

 

Outstanding issues this trainer doesn't fix:

- Cutscenes/loadscreens stretched

- Viewmodel (players weapon) still zoomed in

- FOV/resolution reverting when accessing the settings menu

Doesn't work for Gamepass/WS version...I hope they fix this, I am getting a lot of frame pacing issues also in windowed fullscreen which makes it very bad to play, my PC is way above required specs also: AMD 5700, AMD 3600, 16GB 3200mhz ram, only 2560x1080p.

 

Is this true also?

Edited by Chris Ann
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chris Ann said:

Doesn't work for Gamepass/WS version...I hope they fix this, I am getting a lot of frame pacing issues also in windowed fullscreen which makes it very bad to play, my PC is way above required specs also: AMD 5700, AMD 3600, 16GB 3200mhz ram, only 2560x1080p.

 

Is this true also?

It's working fine for me with the Xbox Gamepass version? PM me if you'd like help troubleshooting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Chris Ann said:

Doesn't work for Gamepass/WS version...I hope they fix this, I am getting a lot of frame pacing issues also in windowed fullscreen which makes it very bad to play, my PC is way above required specs also: AMD 5700, AMD 3600, 16GB 3200mhz ram, only 2560x1080p.

 

Is this true also?

Ah i forgot to add. I have Xbox Gamepass/WS version on Win 10.

Its working fine for me. I`m doing it as per below:

1. Launch the game / start game
2. Launch OW Wide Screen trailer as Admin
3. Don`t start any conversations.
4. Press F8 to fix 21:9 Ultrawide
5. Press F6 to fix FoV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2019 at 6:15 PM, Speeko said:

+1 for 21:9 support.

For those unaware, a trainer is available that fixes the "zoomed in" effect and pillarboxing in dialogue.

https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1442-the-outer-worlds-ultrawide-dual-monitor-mod/

 

Outstanding issues this trainer doesn't fix:

- Cutscenes/loadscreens stretched

- Viewmodel (players weapon) still zoomed in

- FOV/resolution reverting when accessing the settings menu

Got it working with the added .ini fiddling.

But for me, the huge weapon breaks the immersion more than the larger field of view adds. Plus, in an action oriented FPS title I want my health bars where I can see them without looking away from the action... and not in the far corner of my UW. So it's back to 16:9 for me...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm really sorry to say this Obsidian, but no matter how good the game is, if it doesn't render correctly on either of my two monitors (both 21:9) then I'm going to do exactly what I did, which was message Epic support and get a refund, which they gave me.

It sucks, because I've literally been waiting for this game since it was first announced, but I'd rather not play it all, than play it zoomed in / stretched / distorted. I hope you fix this because honestly, with official support (and not half-arsed!) I'd re-buy this game in a heartbeat.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is a really sad day. I came home excited because i had a little time to play tonight. I bought a GamePass just because of this game. And I had to realize that its unplayable in 3440*1440.  I understand that most of the people have 16:9 but I think a good chunk of us have ultrawide.  Cant even play with black bars, really? Big dissappointment. (And because of GamePass restrictions I cant even "hack" it to be playable)

Edited by Murányi Gergely
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, MaverickM said:

I wanted to add my request for a proper Ultrawide support for this beautiful game. Please fix this, Obsidian! Thanks a lot.

Oh, and please fix the black character in character creation/screen:

 

535990379_Anmerkung2019-10-26185757.thumb.jpg.b20de8435520c00bf368fafddf6282a8.jpg

Black character bug was introduced by RADEON 19.10.2 (Optional). Uninstall the driver package and reinstall 19.9.2 (Recommended WHQL) and it should be solved.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Murányi Gergely said:

This is a really sad day. I came home excited because i had a little time to play tonight. I bought a GamePass just because of this game. And I had to realize that its unplayable in 3440*1440.  I understand that most of the people have 16:9 but I think a good chunk of us have ultrawide.  Cant even play with black bars, really? Big dissappointment. (And because of GamePass restrictions I cant even "hack" it to be playable)

I had the exact same experience, was so hyped and ready to go but I don’t wanna spoil the experience and go for it without a 21:9 fix 😕

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another request for proper 21:9 support.  At 2560x1080 (low end by ultrawide standards these days) I'm doing ok with borderless fullscreen window and setting the FOV to 120.  I can deal with the pillarboxing in conversations, though not ideal.  The cropped viewmodel and stretched FMVs are annoying though.

Tried the trainer download, but it didn't play nice for me so I'm sticking with my mostly working setup for now.

Love the game otherwise, just hoping for some official fixes soon to support us ultrawide gamers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/28/2019 at 7:55 AM, Realia said:

Ah i forgot to add. I have Xbox Gamepass/WS version on Win 10.

Its working fine for me. I`m doing it as per below:

1. Launch the game / start game
2. Launch OW Wide Screen trailer as Admin
3. Don`t start any conversations.
4. Press F8 to fix 21:9 Ultrawide
5. Press F6 to fix FoV.

Tried it, its a no go on my system sadly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...