Jump to content

Please, widescreen support (21:9) !


Recommended Posts

On 11/2/2019 at 1:27 PM, ZakKa.dev said:

Thank you this did the trick for me!

 

For those with ultrawide screens who would like to play 'pillarboxed' 16:9 and have AMD cards:

1. Set windows resultion to 1920 x 1080 (this might be optional not sure)
2. In AMD control panel, enable GPU scaling
3. In AMD control panel, pick scaling mode: center
4. In outer worlds, select fullscreen and 1920 x 1080

Step one is indeed optional, as long as you have a 16:9 resolution available in Windows Display Settings (e.g. 1920x1080 or 2560x1440). If not, you'll have to add it. A quick way to do so is via Custom Resolution Utility (CRU).

No need to set your everyday desktop to 16:9, thankfully.

Edited by Sonarplexus
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/24/2019 at 1:24 AM, 0utlier said:

I would also love an official answer for this please!

Good luck with that, they have officially said they aren't exactly bothering any time soon as 21:9 users are considered a minority -essentially they don't really care about fixing it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, bain said:

Just another person who was excited to purchase The Outer Worlds but am now holding off until decent support for ultrawide monitors arrives. At a minimum there should be proper 16:9 pillarboxed display, but it sounds like this isn't available. That seems bizarre... Preferably, proper support for 21:9 with an increased FOV would look amazing.

Here's hoping this gets addressed soon.

1 post above yours are instructions to play pillarboxed. Nvidea card instructions are also in this thread. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ZakKa.dev said:

1 post above yours are instructions to play pillarboxed. Nvidea card instructions are also in this thread. 

Sure, I haven't tried it but it sounds like an ok workaround for a problem that people shouldn't be experiencing. Though if one has to repeatedly toggle GPU settings before/after playing the game, that'll get old fast.

But even then, it's not 21:9 support...

Edited by bain
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bain said:

Though if one has to repeatedly toggle GPU settings before/after playing the game, that'll get old fast.

No need for that. You only have to make sure you got a 16:9 resolution available in your system settings. And then you can set your GPU scaling to "centered". This shouldn't even change anything about daily Windows. But if for some reason you positively need another GPU scaling for another application, you can always set scaling on a per-app basis in your GPU settings.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can understand that it doesn't support UW completely on cutscenes or dialogs, there are plenty of games that do not, mostly because cutscenes were designed with a different aspect ration in mind and odd things may appear because of the cutscenes scripting, I'm ok with it, it's sad but ok.

However, during the actual gameplay I'm expecting at least that is supported, and that I can make full use of my screen without having the imaged cropped (which makes things appear bigger than they should, or actually having a field of view smaller than a 16:9. I also expect that in the event that 21:9 is not supported (or other UW resolutions), 16:9 works without having to go through manual configuration on ini files or creating custom resolutions on my graphic drivers (even though many 16:9 resolutions are available to be picked in game) or changing other weird settings. That for me is real bug and needs to be fixed asap before any kind of UW support and along with the very first bug fix delivery.

It's not the UW support that makes me put this game to the side and risk it simply being forgotten (thanks game pass), but still something I keep in mind from the same companies in case I actually think on buying, because other things come next and they work.

The extra hurdles I would need to go through to actually play the game without it being stretched or cropped, it's something I completely refuse to do. It has to work at least that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello! I just registered to tell you that your game looks fantastic and I am eager to start playing it. But yeah, come on! So many players have ultrawide screens! Why do you force us to play with black bars? Please add support for ultrawide screens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you are willing to follow the direction on PC Gaming Wiki on Ultrawide and Outer Worlds, you can get ultrawide resolutions by using a basic hex editor and updating the .exe (after making a backup of the .exe of course).  It took me about 5 minutes to do.  FOV can be taken to 100-120 in the game settings, and works pretty well.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Ultra-widescreen

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Koinonos said:

If you are willing to follow the direction on PC Gaming Wiki on Ultrawide and Outer Worlds, you can get ultrawide resolutions by using a basic hex editor and updating the .exe (after making a backup of the .exe of course).  It took me about 5 minutes to do.  FOV can be taken to 100-120 in the game settings, and works pretty well.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Ultra-widescreen

This is the kind of thing that goes against everything I stand for especially on a modern game. And is the kind of hurdles I simply don't agree with. Fiddling with the exe on a hex editor... Ridiculous... 

Edited by ozulus
Typo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Koinonos said:

If you are willing to follow the direction on PC Gaming Wiki on Ultrawide and Outer Worlds, you can get ultrawide resolutions by using a basic hex editor and updating the .exe (after making a backup of the .exe of course).  It took me about 5 minutes to do.  FOV can be taken to 100-120 in the game settings, and works pretty well.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Ultra-widescreen

Weapon model etc. will be huge and stretched, though. For me, this breaks immersion more than the added view on the sides adds. Plus, the HUD gets relocated to the far corners of the ultrawide screen, which I loathe. All in all, I prefer 16:9 until a decent UW implementation is available.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Koinonos said:

If you are willing to follow the direction on PC Gaming Wiki on Ultrawide and Outer Worlds, you can get ultrawide resolutions by using a basic hex editor and updating the .exe (after making a backup of the .exe of course).  It took me about 5 minutes to do.  FOV can be taken to 100-120 in the game settings, and works pretty well.

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Ultra-widescreen

I have Xbox Live PC version, so I can't really change the .exe. But I downloaded a cheat engine thingie that fixes black bars, so that works. Still, would be nice if the devs thought of widescreen gamers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, ozulus said:

This is the kind of thing that goes against everything I stand for especially on a modern game. And is the kind of hurdles I simply don't agree with. Fiddling with the exe on a hex editor... Ridiculous... 

Thats how I feel too, Im so tired of having to fiddle around with stuff to make things KIND OF work. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Has obsidian even responded to this thread? I got a response back from the division that said this re 21:9 
"Thank you for playing Outer Worlds! I'm sorry for the delay in response and for the issue you are having trying to play. We have our development team looking into it and hope to have a fix for it shortly.

We apologize again and thank you for your patience while we work to resolve the issue."

I'm not sold that this is true, but it's better than the responses given in this forum at least. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it's been said, but curious... will anything be done about this before the end of the year?

People talk about manual fixes and such, and getting things to work to some extent, but my game wont even register basic resolutions (let alone mine... 21:9 OR 16:9). I can manually set things, by editing various files, but they get triggered by various events and reverted (although they're not really fixed tbh..."mostly so" but again, triggered after 30sec - 5 min requiring complete shut down and usually more).  It's impossible to play at this point. New laptop, new monitor..nothing supported, no word on anything either. 

I agree with people in this thread, it's 2019 and no 21:9 support is odd (...not the minority it's made out to be really),  but I'm not even able to play on 16:9.  And from everything in this thread (and others), or rather the lack of "everything"... it does not seem like any of this is even being considered by anyone.  

So this is turning out to be a game I eagerly anticipated, spent days getting ready/able to play, only to find out it's not actually playable (even with manual "instructed" fixes), and it needs to be tossed aside until next year, and hopefully not forgotten?

In game bugs are being patched, but that does those who can't even "get in game" any good...

Anyone even considering the 21:9 and other flat out resolution / playable issues?

Edited by wanderingHP
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, wanderingHP said:

it's not actually playable

Well, that's not the case... While the bad widescreen support is annoying as xxxx, the game is completely playable and enjoyable!

  • You could just let it run in the default "borderless windowed" 21:9 mode. It's Vert- instead of Hor+ and windowed prevents Gsync/FreeSync, but it's totally playable this way.
  • You could follow the instructions under https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Ultra-widescreen, which gives you normal widescreen support, only the player weapon gets somewhat stretched. And the HUD sits in the 21:9 corners, but many games do this even with official widescreen modes.
  • You could go the route I and others have described and set up custom 16:9, which might not be what you bought your screen for - but it's how the game was designed.

For anyone too lazy to scroll the thread, the steps to set up 16:9:

  • Make sure you have an appropriate 16:9 resolution available in your Windows display settings. E.g. if your monitor is 3440x1440, you need a 2560x1440 resolution selectable. If missing, you can add one via registry or easier with a tool like Custom Resolution Utility (CRU).
  • This should allow you to select 2560x1440 as a fullscreen resolution from the game settings. If not, you can easily change GameUserSettings.ini found in appdata\local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor. The values to change are named ResolutionSizeX, ResolutionSizeY as well as DesiredScreenWidth and DesiredScreenHeight
  • Finally, you'll have to let your GPU handle the scaling:
    With AMD, you activate "GPU-Scaling" in RADEON settings and set it to "Center".
    In the NVIDIA Control Panel you set Scaling to "No Scaling" as well as "Override Scaling by Games

Enjoy the game!!! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/15/2019 at 1:54 AM, Sonarplexus said:

Well, that's not the case... While the bad widescreen support is annoying as xxxx, the game is completely playable and enjoyable!

  • You could just let it run in the default "borderless windowed" 21:9 mode. It's Vert- instead of Hor+ and windowed prevents Gsync/FreeSync, but it's totally playable this way.
  • You could follow the instructions under https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/The_Outer_Worlds#Ultra-widescreen, which gives you normal widescreen support, only the player weapon gets somewhat stretched. And the HUD sits in the 21:9 corners, but many games do this even with official widescreen modes.
  • You could go the route I and others have described and set up custom 16:9, which might not be what you bought your screen for - but it's how the game was designed.

For anyone too lazy to scroll the thread, the steps to set up 16:9:

  • Make sure you have an appropriate 16:9 resolution available in your Windows display settings. E.g. if your monitor is 3440x1440, you need a 2560x1440 resolution selectable. If missing, you can add one via registry or easier with a tool like Custom Resolution Utility (CRU).
  • This should allow you to select 2560x1440 as a fullscreen resolution from the game settings. If not, you can easily change GameUserSettings.ini found in appdata\local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor. The values to change are named ResolutionSizeX, ResolutionSizeY as well as DesiredScreenWidth and DesiredScreenHeight
  • Finally, you'll have to let your GPU handle the scaling:
    With AMD, you activate "GPU-Scaling" in RADEON settings and set it to "Center".
    In the NVIDIA Control Panel you set Scaling to "No Scaling" as well as "Override Scaling by Games

Enjoy the game!!! :)

Franky, no changes and/or compremises should have to be made solely because in in 2019, the company that makes the game can't add proper support. I have a gsync monitor which i should be able to use in game at 3440x1440. 

Borderless has its own issues by dropping performance. 

utilising borderless with the FOV up as high as possible still makes it look zoomed and horrid to play. 

I've given up with the useless support they offer and i've uninstalled and requested a refund. There smaller devs out there who are more deserving of my $ and have the ability to support widescreen (Which really isn't that much a of a minority these days) properly. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand you. I too moved on... at least basic support would be mandatory... support for it during gameplay (with correct FOV) and cutscenes stay 16:9 non stretched, as long as they are seamless it's fine.

Look at the newest SW. It does not support 21:9 completely, as the cutscenes are 16:9, but at least it's seamless and gameplay is 21:9. I'm totally fine with it and no need to create custom resolutions because it doesn't honour the OS settings or playing with GPU settings because it does not honour the Display Driver settings. There are other things to spend the money on.

And to be fair, there has been very little communication, regarding most of the issues, widescreen or not. The patch that is coming, at least based on the list of fixes that was provided, is really small. If it takes so long to fix game breaking bugs, I wonder how long it will be to address this one...

Edited by ozulus
modified last sentence, as there's a patch being delivered
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...