Build in Progress: Solo Berserker/Devoted - The Mad Pirate

UPDATED 2018-09-02

Looking for opinions on how to best optimize (min/max) this build for an entertaining/fun playthrough of POTD completely solo (upscaling on). Ultimately I'm completely open to ALL ideas here, really whatever will work best and is the most optimized for solo play.

Class: Brute (Berserker/Devoted)

Game Version: 2.0.1

Difficulty: POTD

Solo: Yes… Hopefully

Race: Human (for Bloodied)

Histories: Custom

Background: Deadfire/Hunter

Skills: Athletics 10/Mechanics 10/History MAX

Starting Attributes (before blessings or gear):

Mig: 13

Con: 8

Dex: 18

Per: 13

Int: 18

Res: 8

Abilities:

Level 1: Disciplined Barrage/Frenzy

Level 2: Monastic Unarmed Training

Level 3: Blooded

Level 4: Fighter Stances/Barbaric Blow

Level 5: Two-Handed Style or Two-Weapon Style

Level 6: Thick-Skinned

Level 7: Disciplined Strikes/Bloodlust

Level 8: Unstoppable

Level 9: One Stands Alone

Level 10: Vigorous Defense/Spirit Frenzy

Level 11: Bloody Slaughter

Level 12: Charge

Level 13: Unbending/Barbaric Smash

Level 14: Conqurerer Stance

Level 15: Penetrating Strike or Weapon Specialization

Level 16: Armored Grace and Interrupting Blows

Level 17: Bear's Fortitude or Weapon Mastery

Level 18: Refreshing Defense

Level 19: Blood Thirst/Unbending Trunk

Level 20: Spirit Tornado

Equipment:

Pet: Abraham

Weapon (Two-Handed): Blade of the Endless Paths or Sanguine Great Sword. What upgrades are needed here for max DPS?

Alt Weapon (Two-Handed): Unarmed

Weapon (Two-Weapon): Scordeo's Edge & Beza's Toothed Blade (early game Tarn's Respite & Beza's Toothed Blade).

Alt Weapon (Two-Weapon): Unarmed

Armour: Patinated Plate (group fights) and Blackened Plate Armor (bosses fights).

Helm: Cap of the Laughingstock (Two-Weapon) or Helm of the Falcon (Two-Handed).

Gloves: Gatecrashers or Rekvu's Stained Grasps?

Neck: Strand of Favor or Charm of Bones?

Cloak: Cloak of Greater Deflection or Cape of the Falling Star?

Rings: Voidward and Ring of the Solitary Wanderer or Entonia Signet Ring?

Belt: The Undying Burden

Boots: Boots of the Stone

Food:

Mohorā Wraps

Svef

Edited by Sire Of The Shadow

If you oriented on solo game-play:

1. Max perception (18 min)
2. Don't forget to check no-rest run topic, you need +50% to healing and +10 to ACC bonuses, -20% for debuff duration, otherwise with latest Lion's Sprint  fixes you will lack of accuracy + eat food that give you +20% recovery speed and reduce debuff duration by 30%

3. Pick L1 Unarmed Monastic skill to fight  enemies with low crush AR (don't use Willbreaker

4. If you pick heavy armor (which sound logical), then you will need to use (Svef) constantly 
5. For Ring I suggest Chameleon's Touch - 35%

6. For Belt - Girdle of Eoten Constitution  

7. For Gloves - Rekvu's Stained Grasps

8. For Cloak - new cloak that give +7 to all defenses
9. For neck - Charm of Bones is much better
10. For pet - Navi or Abraham (I forget which of that 2 pets stack with Armor Grace)
11. For armor Patinated Plate for group fights and Blackened Plate Armor for bosses fights
12. I prefer Conqurerer Stance 
13. For L20 pick Bear's Fortitude
14. For L10 pcik Blood Frenzy (WotEP can apply AOE, I don't like Stagger because normal mobs can't overpen your armor and bosses is immune)
15. You also need Unstoppable, there no good item with this resistance

Edited by mant2si
  • Like 1

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

There also exist Sanguine Great Sword (the best weapon 2H sword for my point of view) and Voidwheel (the best weapon for single target enemy)
For helm slot I suggest  Rekvu's Fractured Casque 
You need 1 injure (the best one that I know is one from fire trap)

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Unbending is available at PL V, so earlierst level 13 for multiclass characters.

Why Tactical Barrage? To fight Confusion? Better set a history that will spawn Devil of Caroc's Breastplate and use its enchantment. Or if dual wielding, use swords with Modwyr. It would be a shame to loose Disciplined Strikes Critical conversion.

BotEP is not too shabby, but I think Eager Blade is a significantly better estoc.

And yeah, you want more Perception for PotD.

Edited by Haplok

If you oriented on solo game-play:

1. Max perception (18 min)

2. Don't forget to check no-rest run topic, you need +50% to healing and +10 to ACC bonuses, -20% for debuff duration, otherwise with latest  - 35%

6. For Belt - Girdle of Eoten Constitution  

7. For Gloves - Rekvu's Stained Grasps

8. For Cloak - new cloak that give +7 to all defenses

9. For neck - Charm of Bones is much better

10. For pet - Navi or Abraham (I forget which of that 2 pets stack with Armor Grace)

11. For armor Patinated Plate for group fights and Blackened Plate Armor for bosses fights

12. I prefer Conqurerer Stance 

13. For L20 pick Bear's Fortitude

14. For L10 pcik Blood Frenzy (WotEP can apply AOE, I don't like Stagger because normal mobs can't overpen your armor and bosses is immune)

15. You also need Unstoppable, there no good item with this resistance

Awesome feedback thanks so much.

There also exist Sanguine Great Sword (the best weapon 2H sword for my point of view) and Voidwheel (the best weapon for single target enemy)

For helm slot I suggest  Rekvu's Fractured Casque 

You need 1 injure (the best one that I know is one from fire trap)

Once again thank you. I'll begin looking into all these options :)

Unbending is available at PL V, so earlierst level 13 for multiclass characters.

Why Tactical Barrage? To fight Confusion? Better set a history that will spawn Devil of Caroc's Breastplate and use its enchantment. Or if dual wielding, use swords with Modwyr. It would be a shame to loose Disciplined Strikes Critical conversion.

BotEP is not too shabby, but I think Eager Blade is a significantly better estoc.

And yeah, you want more Perception for PotD.

Tactical Barrage was to fight confusion and according to u/ whimper - "Though I'll note that if you grab Tactical Barrage, you don't need to worry about it, since Tactical Barrage cancels the Confused effect of your Frenzy by giving you the Acute condition (in addition to the Aware condition). That's a net swing of 10 Int points, which makes a really big difference to how big your Carnage field is (+100% area), and how long your other abilities last (+50% duration). And Tactical Barrage is pretty nice for this build in general, since, in addition to that(!) it gives you a +5 Perception boost, a nice graze-to-hit conversion boost, and a +1 PL bonus to everything. Pretty sweet..."

what would you change in terms of stats? The original stats are from my previous thread with u/ whimper who states - "I kept Might and Intellect high to (1) maximize Carnage damage (since Might is one of the few things that influences Carnage damage) and area of effect, and (2) to maximize healing from Unbending and Constant Recovery (increasing both duration and magnitude of the healing they provide)"

and

"Perception is pretty great, so it could be that Perception should be even higher. But the Berserker already has a number of hit-to-crit boosters, making Perception increases less valuable from the point of "percentage increase to expected damage" than it would be for most builds."

Looks pretty good!

Abilities:

Level 2: ?

Level 4: Fighter Stances and Barbaric Blow

Level 6: Unbending? (not sure if it can be obtained here)

Level 7: Tactical Barrage and Bloodlust

Level 8: Thick-Skinned

Level 10: Vigorous Defense and ?

Level 12: Charge or ?

Level 13: Barbaric Smash

Level 14: Mob Stance

Level 15: Interrupting Blows

Level 16: Armored Grace and Brute Force

Level 17: Clear Out?

Level 18: Refreshing Defense?

Level 19: Blood Thirst?

Level 20: ?

Regarding abilities, I find that there are too many good ones (especially once you hit PL 5) to fit in, and pretty much everything you listed is pretty good. A couple thoughts regarding alternatives:

--Lvl 2: Since Bloodied is the best remaining PL1 option, maybe pick that at level 2? That still leaves you with one crappy ability to choose, of course. I think Stride is an OK pick here -- it's not great, but it's a passive boost that doesn't take resources, and so will make you (very) slightly better, regardless of what else happens. As mentioned above, Monastic Training for an unarmed option is also a decent fallback option here, though I believe it scales pretty terribly compared to a monk.

--Lvl 6: Sadly, as was mentioned, you can't get Unbending yet. Have to wait for a while still... Maybe move Thick Skinned earlier here? Getting stacking armor bonuses early is nice when trying to survive in solo PotD...

--Lvl 10: One possibility worth considering here is upgrading your Frenzy here. (Spirit Frenzy is better at this level, IMO, though if you want to take Blood Storm later you'll want to retrain this into Blood Frenzy.)

--Lvl 14: Mob Stance is good, but so is Conquerer Stance. The first is better for mobs, the second is better for one-on-one targets. I find the latter fights to be tougher for this multiclass, so I like Conquerer Stance better. But both options are good.

--Lvl 16: Brute Force sounds great, but it's actually pretty hard to find creatures it'll be good for. (Unless you have a special build that focuses on lowering fort.) 

--Lvl 17: Clear Out is nice. But the Barbarian already has some AOE effects (and you'll get some further AOE effects if you're using Whispers). So not as nice as it would be for a straight fighter, who doesn't have a lot of other AoE options.

--Some good picks you could think about fitting in (though again, there's too much good stuff to pick from): 

--I like Constant Recovery too; it's hard to have too much extra healing in solo PotD. 

--For a similar reason, I think Unbending Trunk is a pretty good talent. 

--Weapon Specialization is nice; it's not flashy, but it applies pretty much all the time, which makes it pretty good. 

Pet: ? on heal or armour reduction?

Weapon (Two-Handed): Blade of the Endless Paths. What upgrades are needed here for max DPS?

Alt Weapon (Two-Handed): The Willbreaker (yes we loos accuracy, this is the just in case weapon).

Weapon (Two-Weapon): Scordeo's Edge & Tarn's Respite (if the sharp ability stacks, if not then Beza's Toothed Blade). What upgrades are needed here for max DPS?

Alt Weapon (Two-Weapon): Scordeo's Edge & Magistrate's Cudgel (yes we loos accuracy, this is the just in case weapon).

Armour: Reckless Brigandine (alternate ideas welcome)

Helm: ? (options for two handed and two weapon needed)

Gloves: ?

Neck: Strand of Favor

Cloak: ? (Greater Deflection?)

Rings: Voidward and ?

Belt: ?

Regarding equipment, a few thoughts:

Pet: Abraham gives both recovery and health on kills. Perfect for this build.

Armor: Also want a back-up set of high quality plate for certain fights.

Helm: Helm of the Falcon is great for two-handed weapon builds. But the most powerful helm for solo runs is the Cap of the Laughingstock. If you can stand how it looks, it's the way to go.

Gloves: Anyone of several nice options that give +Might or +Dex are good. Gatecrashers are nice given all of the effects you have increasing crit chances.

Cloak: Cape of the Falling Star is the best for solo runs, but apparently it's bugged and doesn't work with pets? Cape of Greater Deflection is the next best thing.

Rings: The Ring of the Solitary Wanderer is also nice, as is the Signet Ring. 

Belt: Undying Burden FTW!

Edited by whimper

Tactical Barrage was to fight confusion and according to u/ whimper - "Though I'll note that if you grab Tactical Barrage, you don't need to worry about it, since Tactical Barrage cancels the Confused effect of your Frenzy by giving you the Acute condition (in addition to the Aware condition). That's a net swing of 10 Int points, which makes a really big difference to how big your Carnage field is (+100% area), and how long your other abilities last (+50% duration). And Tactical Barrage is pretty nice for this build in general, since, in addition to that(!) it gives you a +5 Perception boost, a nice graze-to-hit conversion boost, and a +1 PL bonus to everything. Pretty sweet..."

Well, I would not say you gain 10 Int. You're not loosing 5 Int (but any item/food with Intellect resistance will ensure that also). And you could gain 5, but as I understand Frenzy Confused is canceled by Acute and both are removed? Unless you double-apply it, but then you burn double amount of resources on that. For martial classes I prefer 25% hit-to-crit conversion  rather then a +1 PL bonus...

As for stats, I don't know. I would dump Res to raise Perception and a little Con... but then again I don't play solo.

The "problem" with PER in solo games is that you can't find traps and secrets with lowish PER.

With bounding boots and good mechanics you can loot all chests of merchants with some of their unique gear they sell. Pick lock (this usually triggers no hostile reaction), retreat and stealth. Stay in stealth, leap right near the chest (press pause on landing, you will keep stealth), loot chest while stealthed in pause. Done!

With this method you can make some good money (spare money of stuff you want while selling the stuff you don't need) that you can use for ship upgrades. Then go hunting. Ship combat doesn't care about char level. It's a great way to get tons of XP early. You only need a ship with decent upgrades (mainly good cannons).

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well, I would not say you gain 10 Int. You're not loosing 5 Int (but any item/food with Intellect resistance will ensure that also). And you could gain 5, but as I understand Frenzy Confused is canceled by Acute and both are removed? Unless you double-apply it, but then you burn double amount of resources on that. For martial classes I prefer 25% hit-to-crit conversion rather then a +1 PL bonus...

As for stats, I don't know. I would dump Res to raise Perception and a little Con... but then again I don't play solo.

Good catch. I'd read that higher level inspirations trump lower level afflictions, but I just double checked and that's not the case -- the two cancel, just as you say. (Not sure how I didn't notice that... : P) That does make Disciplined Strikes more attractive if you have another way to cancel the Confusion.

I'm not crazy about using the DoC armor to get cancel Confusion because its armor value is too low to make high AR a viable means of defense. Since barbarians can't stack deflection very effectively (given the Frenzy deflection penalty), that makes solo PotD very painful.

But food/booze (e.g., Captain's Banquet) are another way to do it. So maybe relying on that and going with Disciplined Strikes is a viable way to go. I think I'll retrain and try that!

The "problem" with PER in solo games is that you can't find traps and secrets with lowish PER.

With bounding boots and good mechanics you can loot all chests of merchants with some of their unique gear they sell. Pick lock (this usually triggers no hostile reaction), retreat and stealth. Stay in stealth, leap right near the chest (press pause on landing, you will keep stealth), loot chest while stealthed in pause. Done!

With this method you can make some good money (spare money of stuff you want while selling the stuff you don't need) that you can use for ship upgrades. Then go hunting. Ship combat doesn't care about char level. It's a great way to get tons of XP early. You only need a ship with decent upgrades (mainly good cannons).

Yeah, having a decent Perception when in "exploration" mode is definitely important. But with a starting 15 (13+2BB), you can have a 17 in "exploration mode" by the time you leave the starting island (Protective Eothasian Charm, Gosha pet), and an 18 with a quick stop on the way to Neketaka to pick up the Cowl of the Piercing Gaze. I think that's enough to find pretty much everything in the game, no?

That's how I've been doing things, and I haven't yet run into any traps or important hidden items I couldn't detect yet...

(And, I suppose, if you ran into a trap that required something even higher, you could always reload and use consumables to get you to 20+.)

Edited by whimper

1. From Food you need Mohora Wraps, this is only single food which bonus stacked with Barbarian Frenzy
2. To negate confused from frenzy and use heavy armor you need Svef drug. it is very cheap, give resistance to all non martial afflictions and give constantly +3 to perception
3. To negate high debuff duration with dumped resolve (I don't suggest to dump resolve) you need debuff duration reduction  bonuses for example prostitute buff from Dunnage (-20%), lonely wolf ring (-30%) and (-30%) from Mohora Wraps 
4. + You need at least 140 deflection to stop enemies for overpen your armor with crits, that why you can't dump resolve, resolve should maxed and DEX and MIGHT can be lowered
5. + A lot of enemies has constitution afflictions, without Rekvu gloves you will die very fast even with Unbending

Edited by mant2si

UPDATE 1

Mig: 18 or 13?

Dex: 13 or 18?

Abilities:

Level 4: Fighter Stances and Barbaric Blow

Level 7: Tactical Barrage? or Disciplined Strikes? and Bloodlust

Level 8: Unstoppable?

Level 10: Vigorous Defense and Blood Frenzy

Level 12: Charge?

Level 13: Barbaric Smash & Weapon Specialization?

Level 15: Unbending

Level 17: Clear Out?

Level 18: Refreshing Defense?

Level 19: Blood Thirst? & ?

Level 20: Bear's Fortitude or something else?

Equipment:

Weapon (Two-Handed): Blade of the Endless Paths. What upgrades are needed here for max DPS?

Weapon (Two-Weapon): Scordeo's Edge & Beza's Toothed Blade (early game Tarn's Respite & Beza's Toothed Blade).

Armour: Patinated Plate (group fights) and Blackened Plate Armor (bosses fights).

Food:

Mohorā Wraps

Svef

I can tell you from my own brute in the fampyr cave and the same weapon, you won't even close beat any of them, because you don't deal enough damage with a 2handed weapon.

And if we do two-weapon style instead?

You seem to be missing abilities at level 13 and 19.

So i am, damn it... slight edit not sure what to put in those spots. What do you suggest?

I can tell you from my own brute in the fampyr cave and the same weapon, you won't even close beat any of them, because you don't deal enough damage with a 2handed weapon.

So i am, damn it... slight edit not sure what to put in those spots. What do you suggest?

I would go sabres, because they are very good and with devoted you have to choose one weapon class for the bonus. But with the upcoming full attack nerf, i don't know how good matial classes are in the end.

I would go sabres, because they are very good and with devoted you have to choose one weapon class for the bonus. But with the upcoming full attack nerf, i don't know how good matial classes are in the end.

I’m worried about the nerf too. That’s why I’m planning this build to go either two handed or two weapon.

UPDATE 2

Mig: 13

Dex: 18

Abilities:

Level 4: Fighter Stances/Barbaric Blow

Level 7: Disciplined Strikes/Bloodlust

Level 8: Unstoppable

Level 10: Vigorous Defense/Spirit Frenzy

Level 12: Charge

Level 13: Unbending/Barbaric Smash

Level 15: Penetrating Strike or Weapon Specialization

Level 17: Bear's Fortitude or Weapon Mastery

Level 18: Refreshing Defense

Level 19: Blood Thirst/Unbending Trunk

Level 20: Spirit Tornado

Equipment:

Weapon (Two-Handed): Blade of the Endless Paths or Sanguine Great Sword. What upgrades are needed here for max DPS?

Food:

Mohorā Wraps

Svef

If someone has a moment can they go over this build to double check that it will work for solo. I’m concerened about fyapyrs and the ability to survive large scale fights.

Anything that needs to change in terms or stats gear or abilities (so many good ones),let me know and I’ll adjust the build.

In terms or skills I’m still think 10/10 split with athletics and mechanical. And full history. Is there anything to change here?

If someone has a moment can they go over this build to double check that it will work for solo. I’m concerened about fyapyrs and the ability to survive large scale fights.

Anything that needs to change in terms or stats gear or abilities (so many good ones),let me know and I’ll adjust the build.

In terms or skills I’m still think 10/10 split with athletics and mechanical. And full history. Is there anything to change here?

You board Lucia Rivan's ship.

The Algul, Fampyrs, and 10+ something spawned shades eat you.

You respec arcana.

You nuke everything to kingdom come.

That fight is hella rough solo if you don't get lucky and gib some of the dangerous targets before you're left alone.

Edited by Metaturtle

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

1. From Food you need Mohora Wraps, this is only single food which bonus stacked with Barbarian Frenzy

2. To negate confused from frenzy and use heavy armor you need Svef drug. it is very cheap, give resistance to all non martial afflictions and give constantly +3 to perception

3. To negate high debuff duration with dumped resolve (I don't suggest to dump resolve) you need debuff duration reduction bonuses for example prostitute buff from Dunnage (-20%), lonely wolf ring (-30%) and (-30%) from Mohora Wraps

4. + You need at least 140 deflection to stop enemies for overpen your armor with crits, that why you can't dump resolve, resolve should maxed and DEX and MIGHT can be lowered

5. + A lot of enemies has constitution afflictions, without Rekvu gloves you will die very fast even with Unbending

I just invited your comment about resolve, decora and might.

What would you make the starting stats?