Ive been poking around in the builds thread and am curious about making a wizard using the frost spells in ninagauth’s teachings and watershaper’s focus. Since the focus is pretty awesome in its own right, am I shooting myself in the foot by adding a martial multiclass, and if not what would everyone recommend? I’m a fan of adding rogue to everything for sneak attack/deathblows/etc, and I suspect helwalker would be pretty solid too. Anyone have any favs?

Edit: I’d be playing with a party in veteran, maybe potd if I’m feeling spicy

Edited by superior987

Ranger (Geomancer). Driving Flight + Watershaper's Focus (+Ondra's Wrath) is very good and can one-shot mobs. Also the accuracy bonuses vs. single targets like Marked Prey, Stalker's Link etc. work with spells. And Concussive Tranquilizer with a rod-Blast is even better than Arcane Dampener or Arcance Cleanse. Also: Binding Roots! Great with Infuse with Vital Essence.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Pet isn't great, but also it isn't a liability if you keep it in the back and only have it attack enemy chargers/flank. And sometimes you want to send it after a target to get Stalker's Link Accuracy bonus and/or do a takedown combo for huge bonus on next attack (which can be a nuke spell).

• Like 1

So I’m thinking evoker/ranger. Are there any essential spells in blocked by losing conjuration and transmutation? Also, any particularly important wizard spells that are t already in the grimoire? Up til now I’ve been focusing mainly on melee classes and haven’t put too much thought into spells beyond the odd priest buff/aloth fireball

Doesn't matter much. Stalker doesn't really fit though.

Unless you running a geomancer tank or melee ranger then stalker seems right. i know its weird but im running a main tank like this.

Edited by draego

So I’m thinking evoker/ranger. Are there any essential spells in blocked by losing conjuration and transmutation? Also, any particularly important wizard spells that are t already in the grimoire? Up til now I’ve been focusing mainly on melee classes and haven’t put too much thought into spells beyond the odd priest buff/aloth fireball

If ur playing on potd the enemies have high AR so you need high pen. Ninguaths death ray was my favourite spell. Its level 3 and does raw damage so no need for high pen

Doesn't matter much. Stalker doesn't really fit though.

Unless you running a geomancer tank or melee ranger then stalker seems right. i know its weird but im running a main tank like this.

I didn't mean in general. I meant for the use with Watershaper's Focus on the ranged Geomancer.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Just a quick update - thanks for the advice, I went with a vanilla geomancer, no subclasses. So far it’s been a blast! Feels like there’s both more to do with the spells while still having the ability to do reasonable damage whenever I run out of spells.

• Like 1