Nvidia RTX Series

Bokishi

I'm not looking at discrete GPUs for anything besides pure curiosity any time soon. Barring a hardware failure, I have zero reason to replace anything or build a new system. My goal was always 4K at high or better settings and mission accomplished with my current hardware. I don't see the point in 8K unless the screen size is 100" or bigger and I wouldn't even consider purchasing a 100" 8K TV until they become affordable (read: $1000ish), that ain't happening any time soon. I don't even want to look up what a 100" 8K TV costs right now. I'm guessing it's 4 digits.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My stuff still mostly gets me 60fps/4k at High (more if not average aaa sorts, or if I turn on a little DLSS) and I'm fine with that. I don't game constantly anymore and not worth new (pricey) tops gpu without new cpu at this point, either, imo.

Thus I'm also waiting for the 5080/5090 to see what it does/the price. Maybe Death Stranding 2/PC will motivate a new build. Maybe.

I'm not sure there are any (consumer, common store) 100" 8k TV's available. Biggest I've seen mentioned in reviews is 86" ($5-$6k or more usually).  Which isn't to say there might not be some fancy dancy uber rich designer $15k version, not sold in consumer stores.
But I also see little point in 8k for typical home use, even for gaming. 100"+ to me would be when I'd prefer face-interface gaming/movie watching to become more (long session, comfortable/less intrusive to wear) usable/amazing instead, if one is interested in the "eyeball surround/immersion" sensation.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

• 4 months later...

... :lol: I know the (hilarious) intro is a comedic video edit, but - did some quirky AI take over this guy's brain? Seriously, some of those quotes.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"It isn't accurate, but it is correct." :skull:

I haven't checked my YouTube subscriptions in two days and GN appears to have released six videos in that time.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Posted (edited)

When clicking the video above, Youtube greeted me with the ultimate irony: Playing a credit loan kind of ad first. So, basically NextGen advertising:

The more you loan, the more you buy.
The more you buy, the more you save.

Still running my 1050ti. Likely until it's run into the ground. Mind you, it's only in because I don't play much graphical blockbuster kind of games anymore. KCD II may be the first time I genuinelly want to upgrade. Rest of the system is a Zen 2 Ryzen, so a tad fresher and capable of running faster CPUs, including the 5800x3D.

5, 6 years ago you could get a fairly decent RX 580 for like 200 bucks, eventually below. For the same amount of money, you still but get a RX 6600 -- and that's but ~70% faster and still has the same 8GB. Things have really stalled in the entry level in particular. Current gen RTX 4060 / RX 7600 cards still ship with the same 8GB the RX 480 shipped with in 2016 as well. Even for Full-HD, you can't run higher textures anymore in every game. If the likes of 5060 and RX 8600 ship with 8GB still, they can keep those. Before I'm ever going to pay the price of a console just for a GPU, I'm opting out of blockbuster gaming for good. For KCDII though... we'll see. 😄 

Edited by Sven_
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I don't play new AAA games basically ever, so last year I bought an RTX 2060 from EVGA for a hundred bucks and called it good. I haven't run into any games where I needed it to be more powerful than that, so... It's not as if I can't afford it, but I don't know, I've never paid more than $200 for a GPU in my life and I'm kind of inclined to keep it that way what with my faded interest in current AAA games.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I don't play new AAA games basically ever, so last year I bought an RTX 2060 from EVGA for a hundred bucks and called it good. I haven't run into any games where I needed it to be more powerful than that, so... It's not as if I can't afford it, but I don't know, I've never paid more than $200 for a GPU in my life and I'm kind of inclined to keep it that way what with my faded interest in current AAA games.

Pretty much this. My most expensive was the first Voodoo generation MiroHiscore 3D with 6MB rather than the then standard 4MB for over 400 DM,- back then. This was followed by Voodoo 3 (200 bucks upon launch). Even a GeForce 4ti I got for 99 Euros (a year after initial relase, brand new). And until ~ten years ago, only enthusiasts really ever NEEDED to spend significantly more than ~250 bucks in general. There was a WEALTH of viable options even for ~100-150 for many years. 

So making that jump AND just getting GPUs with 2016 mid-range (RX 480) / minimum requirement amounts of VRAM, I dunno. I'm not gonna run out of games for the forseeable future as such. Plus, I bet even the 2500 Dollars RTX 5090 ain't gonna support CTX (Commodore-Tracing) anyway, so meh. 😄  Lovely bunch of pixels brought to you by: SKALD: Against The Black Priory. :) 

96Tjdlk.png

Edited by Sven_
  • Like 1

Well, here's to hoping Intel's Battlemage can deliver better compatibility at a decent price. The A770 cards wouldn't be half bad as alternative to nVidia's and AMD's very underwhelming cards at that price range, if it would be less of a dice roll with fresh game releases. :shrugz:

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Aren't they a dice roll with OLD games, too? That's the primary I've never considered them, having heard horror stories about compatibility with old crap, especially anything DX9 and earlier. Immediate compatibility with new games doesn't really concern me.

They fixed DX9 a while ago, it is now supported natively in the drivers and no longer emulated. GN retested Arc every now and then.

• Like 2

All the rumors/"leaks" re: 50xx specs has me thinking I'll be waiting until 60xx. Or maybe 70xx. Or maybe a used 50xx during the 60xx period. Or maybe never.

Ah, yes, performance leaks and performance expectations are wonderful things. AMD expected RDNA3 to outperform Ada Lovelace. The rumor mill expected a 40% IPC increase with Zen 5. Leaks said Intel is going to up the core count on the 14th gen i5s. Intel thought Meteor Lake would be able to outperform Raptor Lake. There were leaks once about how Battlemage was going to have 512MB of L2 cache. Karzak once expected that Temple of Elemental Evil is going to make people forget about Baldur's Gate 2.

You can guess thrice which one of those turned out to be true. :p

• Haha 2

I'm mostly not interested in another round of the "the xx90 is the only one "worth" buying if they're gonna gimp the lower tiers but not also lower the price enough on those gimped lower tiers." And by lower tiers I mean ... the xx80.

...also not interested in a gpu that weighs more than my head and needs support brackets in a tower case, or an extra gpu cooler stack, or a 3rd mobo slot, or a dedicated home circuit, or whatever else, if any of that comes to pass, either soon or in the future. 😛

10 hours ago, majestic said:

Ah, yes, performance leaks and performance expectations are wonderful things. AMD expected RDNA3 to outperform Ada Lovelace. The rumor mill expected a 40% IPC increase with Zen 5. Leaks said Intel is going to up the core count on the 14th gen i5s. Intel thought Meteor Lake would be able to outperform Raptor Lake. There were leaks once about how Battlemage was going to have 512MB of L2 cache. Karzak once expected that Temple of Elemental Evil is going to make people forget about Baldur's Gate 2.

You can guess thrice which one of those turned out to be true. :p

What's Baldur's Gate?

• Haha 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

15 hours ago, majestic said:

Karzak once expected that Temple of Elemental Evil is going to make people forget about Baldur's Gate 2.

Semi-related: the only malware I've ever had in my entire life was thanks to my brother installing a pirated version of Temple of Elemental Evil on my PC back when I was like eight. No, I'll never forgive him for it...though there was one good effect: it permanently scared me off the whole sordid affair of online piracy. Squeaky clean ever since.

• Gasp! 1

34 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Is ToEE the one that wiped your OS if you tried to uninstall it?

No, that was Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor. While I did not like ToEE, it was never that bad. :p

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Semi-related: the only malware I've ever had in my entire life was thanks to my brother installing a pirated version of Temple of Elemental Evil on my PC back when I was like eight. No, I'll never forgive him for it...though there was one good effect: it permanently scared me off the whole sordid affair of online piracy. Squeaky clean ever since.

The only time my computer got infected was back in the ancient DOS times from a shareware collection on CD from a trade show I went to. That was in '93 or so.

Well, techically untrue, I once installed a remote control tool with trojan capabilities to test it out. Should probably say the only unintentional infection with malicious software. :yes:

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2