Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Big Post of Stacking Rules

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

grasida

grasida

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Deadfire is a game with a lot of extremely complicated, intricate mechanics that aren’t described clearly in game and are not intuitive for most players, even those with a good bit of experience in the game. It’s fine for games to have lots of complicated mechanics. I really like it, in fact, and it keeps the community more engaged with discussing builds and figuring things out. But, information about how things work should also be easy to find. This post is an attempt to compile one set of the game’s mechanics and present them in a readable format. I hope, if I do my job well enough, that it and other in depth posts can eventually be compiled into a stickied, master thread of in-depth game mechanics. This post is absolutely incomplete, and will have omissions and inaccuracies. I’ll try to keep the post up to date with my current knowledge of the game mechanics. Please let me know if you have any problems with readability or if anything is incorrect.

Deadfire Stacking Rules:

Bonuses from Equipment Stack:

Spoiler

Active Buffs Don’t Stack:
Spoiler

-Some damage taken debuffs stack and others don't. Sworn enemy stacks with takedown combo and inspired beacon, but the takedown combo and inspired beacon don't stack with each other.

Passive Buffs Stack:

Spoiler

Hit-To-Crit Conversion and Other Boosts Don’t Stack Additively:
Spoiler

Some Buffs or Debuffs With Similar Effects but Different Names Stack:
Spoiler

I apologize for the “I don’t knows”, “I thinks” and “I don’t recalls”. I’ll test them if and update the post as appropriate once I do know. I’m sure I’ve missed some important things to mention. Please remind me!

Edited by grasida, 11 August 2018 - 07:06 AM.

• AndreaColombo, thundercleese, Elric Galad and 3 others like this

thundercleese

thundercleese

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 465 posts

So I just did a quick test on Intuitive and Berzerker - they do indeed stack. I believe that stat increases from abilities/spells don't stack with inspirations, but the other effects of the inspirations do stack. Might inspirations won't stack with Devotions' +4, Int inspirations won't stack with Duality, etc.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13431 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Right, +INT/CON from Duality of Mortal Presence will not stack with Inspirations (Smart,Fit etc.) - active.

+MIG from Helwalker stacks with everything - passive.

So far so good I think.

Accuracy Bonus of Devotions stacks with Perception Inspirations (or did so at release).

Edited by Boeroer, 11 August 2018 - 02:40 AM.

grasida

grasida

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

So I just did a quick test on Intuitive and Berzerker - they do indeed stack. I believe that stat increases from abilities/spells don't stack with inspirations, but the other effects of the inspirations do stack. Might inspirations won't stack with Devotions' +4, Int inspirations won't stack with Duality, etc.

Not all the effects of the inspirations stack, unless I’m badly mistaken. Armor from hardy, penetration from tenacious, power level from acute, etc. all don’t stack with bonuses from other sources. I don’t know about stride from fleet and other stride boosts. That’s something to test. Concentration always stacks into layers, I think. I suppose conversion just always stacks, but it’s worth testing berserker and fighter buffs with things like merciless gaze, the potion of perfect aim, etc.

Right, +INT/CON from Duality of Mortal Presence will not stack with Inspirations (Smart,Fit etc.) - active.
+MIG from Helwalker stacks with everything - passive.
So far so good I think.
Accuracy Bonus of Devotions stacks with Perception Inspirations (or did so at release).

I think bonuses or penalties from stats gained from inspirations will always stack with direct bonuses to the derived stats. So the action speed boosts on swift strikes and deleterious alacrity stack with the dex inspirations given by the same abilities.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13431 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
No. As I said: Duality of Mortal Presence raises INT directly and supresses the INT bonus of INT inspirations.

Devotions raises ACC directly but does not supress the PER bonus of PER inspirations.

Attack Speed bonus + DEX inspirations: sure.

Edited by Boeroer, 11 August 2018 - 04:28 AM.

grasida

grasida

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
That’s why I said derived stat. Action speed from dex will stack with an action speed boost. Two buffs to dex won’t stack with each other, whether they’re inspirations or not, unless one is from a passive (e.g. I think the conjuror familiar can give +3 to dex that will stack with a dex inspiration)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 13431 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Ok. Now I understood what you meant.

Yet there are exceptions to "two [active] buffs to x will not stack".

For example Vigorous Defense or Llengrath Safeguard or Circle of Defense will stack with Mirrored Image (was mentioned in the OP : thumbsup:).

Which is bad. I mean it's good for your char of course, but bad for consistency. :)

Internally it might be that +x to all and +y to deflection are two different groups, but which "normal" player can understand let alone suspect this?

Edited by Boeroer, 11 August 2018 - 04:38 AM.

grasida

grasida

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I tested minor avatar and the greatsword damage modal and they don’t stack. Very disappointing for priests of berath. I want to take yet another opportunity to express how much I hate that weapon modals don’t stack with other buffs.

I tested hit-to-crit conversion on a battlemage with intuitive, merciless gaze, the potion of merciless gaze and the potion of perfect aim. I think they all stack. I didn’t test long enough to see a confirmed conversion from both the potion of merciless gaze and the spell merciless gaze while both were active, but they both showed up on the buffs list. For all the other buffs, I clearly noticed each separate one being mentioned as responsible for hit-to-crit conversion in the combat log while all were active. It seems all sources of conversion stack, though not multiplicatively.

I tested damage reduction with claim and refusal and guardian stance and they don’t stack. That means item granted modals are considered actives and don’t stack and damage reduction doesn’t stack (unless someone knows of an exception to this).

Damage received boosts like from sworn enemy stack inconsistently. Sworn enemy stacks with takedown combo and inspired beacon, but takedown combo and inspired beacon don't stack with each other.

Can anyone think of -AR to a specific armor type from an active ability? I'd like to test if that stacks with general AR debuffs.

Edited by grasida, 11 August 2018 - 07:04 AM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users