Is it possible to pick up the Priest of Ryrmgand (Vatnir) early in the game?

If I remember right from the streams, they say you get invited to the island by the pale elves. What triggers that or if you can go without the invite, I have no idea.

Typically, it seems like most areas aren't blocked off, so I suspect the only real barrier would be the enemies you might have to fight to get to him.

• Like 2

Probably have a much better idea in about 17 hours or so. ;)

Since you get invited, there might be an actual trigger to unlock DLC Island #1 or you might be able to sail there uninvited. 

As far as I know nearly every single area in the base game is available to be explored once one gets off of Maje Island except for the endgame, including Out of Order places like visiting Ashen Maw BEFORE visiting Hasongo.  The only exception I can think of offhand is the second level of  Pāhowane, which can only be accessed via the Skipping Ahead quest.

Be kinda interesting to take Vatni along on the A Glimpse Beyond quest, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if finishing that was one of the possible triggers for getting the invite.

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 1

Any news on this front?

As I just said in the Beast of Winter DLC thread, I was able to get the invite when I loaded up a Level 6 character extremely early in Act One.  They had just started to explore Neketaka and had done a handful of post-Port Maje quests.  Got it immediately when I transitioned to the World Map.

Exactly how early one can get it is yet to be seen. :)

• Like 2

I didn't try to go there with a noobsquad or anything, nor was I uninvited, but it seems to me that to recruit Vatnir you need to defeat the Messenger. Which is probably a very tall order early in the game.

• Like 2

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Any news on this front?

As I just said in the Beast of Winter DLC thread, I was able to get the invite when I loaded up a Level 6 character extremely early in Act One.  They had just started to explore Neketaka and had done a handful of post-Port Maje quests.  Got it immediately when I transitioned to the World Map.

Exactly how early one can get it is yet to be seen. :)

Please let us know how early you can recruit him.

I didn't try to go there with a noobsquad or anything, nor was I uninvited, but it seems to me that to recruit Vatnir you need to defeat the Messenger. Which is probably a very tall order early in the game.

Got the intro letter immediately after getting my crashed ship fixed and off of Port Maje. Proceeded to get my ass kicked when facing The Messenger. :lol:

Even on Story Mode. :lol:

Miiiiiiiight be possible to deal with him at a lower level. Wouldn't be surprised if folks figure out builds which can as there are clever boffins out there.  But one has to defeat/drive off Ol' Chatty and his friends first (i.e. The Messenger and the critters who join during the fight) which is a formidable fight to say the least.

Unless one thinks that  a critter which can fire off power level 8/9 abilities is a pushover, that is. ;)

So, afraid Obsidian means it when they say this is for higher level characters. ;)

One might be surprised at EXACTLY how one 'recruits' Vanti once the fight is over though. :lol:

• Like 2

What I'm wondering is how much we learn about the White that Wends and Glamfellan culture in this DLC.  I might need to start my Pale Elf Cipher's story over based on what I learn...It sounds increasingly from what I've seen that the majority of Pale Elves are Rymrgand-worshiping nihilists, which is...like...the opposite of how I've been playing my character (I know you can't worship Rymrgand in the game, but I'm sure she's been too Passionate).

Got the intro letter immediately after getting my crashed ship fixed and off of Port Maje. Proceeded to get my ass kicked when facing The Messenger. :lol:

Miiiiiiiight be possible to deal with him at a lower level. Wouldn't be surprised if folks figure out builds which can as there are clever boffins out there.  But one has to defeat/drive off Ol' Chatty and his friends first (i.e. The Messenger and the critters who join during the fight) which is a formidable fight to say the least.

Unless one thinks that  a critter which can fire off power level 8/9 abilities is a pushover, that is. ;)

So, afraid Obsidian means it when they say this is for higher level characters. ;)

One might be surprised at EXACTLY how one 'recruits' Vanti once the fight is over though. :lol:

So basically you have to spend most of the game without Vatnir? That sucks.

What I'm wondering is how much we learn about the White that Wends and Glamfellan culture in this DLC.  I might need to start my Pale Elf Cipher's story over based on what I learn...It sounds increasingly from what I've seen that the majority of Pale Elves are Rymrgand-worshiping nihilists, which is...like...the opposite of how I've been playing my character (I know you can't worship Rymrgand in the game, but I'm sure she's been too Passionate).

I just started it and there's already lots of lore. Lots of reactivity for a Pale Elf Watcher from White that Wends. Bring Ydwin too, she offers some counter points to the cult's mainstream culture. Though I still don't know just how representative the cult is for the culture of White that Wends. Also your personal philosphy and beliefs are one thing, you personality is another. I think she still can be passionate. Just look at the varied NPCs in the new area.

• Like 2

So basically you have to spend most of the game without Vatnir? That sucks.

I wouldn't say "most of the game", no.   Beast of Winter, IIRC, was designed for 14-16 level characters.  Quite easy to get that by the mid game.

I would think a lvl 10 party could probably do it with the right tactics/build.  Maybe even lower with enough game/system mastery.

Just saying that one can't waltz in, take Vatnir, and then ignore the DLC until the mid game.  

On a more general point, it does appear that Vatnir is quite chatty when it comes to sidekicks.  Not nearly as much reactivity as a full companion, no.  But he does appear to have conversation comments in a few places outside of DLC Island #1.

And, yes, it does appear that the Glimpse Beyond quest is a little different if it is done after the Beast of Winter DLC.

Anywho, seeing just looking at the data files, I'm seeing minor reactivity at Ukaizo, Wahaki Island, Splintered Reef, Drowned Barrows, Poko Kohara, Fort Deadlight, and a few faction related quests.

Not anything major, I hasten to add, with the possible exception of the different conversation with Ryrmgand during the Glimpse Beyond, which I haven't looked at in detail as I want to finish the DLC first. ;)

TBH, to add a companion/sidekick that is only possible to acquire for the last 25% of the game seems silly to me. There must be a way around it. If anyone knows, please let me know, thanks!

Doesn't seem like he's got much reactivity beyond his own quest line, so not that silly.
  • Like 2

TBH, to add a companion/sidekick that is only possible to acquire for the last 25% of the game seems silly to me. There must be a way around it. If anyone knows, please let me know, thanks!

Nope.  As long as The Messenger is still around in the (first) encounter with it, Vatnir isn't recruitable.  Just checked when I went back in to the building he's in with The Messenger still hanging about.

(Also last 25% of the game sounds like an exaggeration)

• Like 1

Story mode should still allow you to get Vatnir right away, even if it means nerfing The Messenger even more on that particular setting. BTW, are people trying it with level scaling?

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Story mode should still allow you to get Vatnir right away, even if it means nerfing The Messenger even more on that particular setting.

Might be a suggestion to make to the devs (maybe in the Tech Support forum??), as that's an interesting idea.

===

Not to make poor Stardusk78 suffer anymore than they already are, but I am LOVING Vatnir's personality in his initial set of conversations post Messenger defeat.  The guy is just the right shade of disreputable to be charming.  At least to me.

His personality is also completely ringing true and is a welcome contrast to most of the other yahoos in Harbinger's Watch.

Not at all what I was expecting and very very welcome.  :thumbsup:

Story mode should still allow you to get Vatnir right away, even if it means nerfing The Messenger even more on that particular setting.

Might be a suggestion to make to the devs (maybe in the Tech Support forum??), as that's an interesting idea.

===

Not to make poor Stardusk78 suffer anymore than they already are, but I am LOVING Vatnir's personality in his initial set of conversations post Messenger defeat.  The guy is just the right shade of disreputable to be charming.  At least to me.

His personality is also completely ringing true and is a welcome contrast to most of the other yahoos in Harbinger's Watch.

Not at all what I was expecting and very very welcome.  :thumbsup:

What special abilities does Vatnir have as a Priest of Ryrmgand?

===

Not to make poor Stardusk78 suffer anymore than they already are, but I am LOVING Vatnir's personality in his initial set of conversations post Messenger defeat. The guy is just the right shade of disreputable to be charming. At least to me.

Not at all what I was expecting and very very welcome. :thumbsup:

Decay/Ice/Poison spells. So a bit redundant if you have Aloth or a good substitute.

His Symbol/Incarnate spells are pretty good. I still prefer Skaen's though.

Edited by Verde

===

Not to make poor Stardusk78 suffer anymore than they already are, but I am LOVING Vatnir's personality in his initial set of conversations post Messenger defeat. The guy is just the right shade of disreputable to be charming. At least to me.

Not at all what I was expecting and very very welcome. :thumbsup:

Decay/Ice/Poison spells. So a bit redundant if you have Aloth or a good substitute.

His Symbol/Incarnate spells are pretty good. I still prefer Skaen's though.

As a Ryrmgand Godlike he has:

"Plague Host":  When he is Bloodied or Near Death, he gives off a Foe Area of Effect that causes Sickness.

"Child of the Void": +5 defenses against Body/Mind Afflictions

For the record, his core/auto Priest spells are:

1 Touch of Rot

2 Blizzard

3 Spreading Plague

4 Noxious Burst

5 Blast of Frost

6 Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar

7 Death Ring

8 Symbol of Rymrgand

9 Call of Rymrgand