Romance in KoTOR 2

I personally enjoyed the romances in kotor and its one of the stronger points of that game and its sad more roleplaying games do not offer that extra little touch that goes a long way to getting a player more attached to the game and characters in it and its one off the things that made Baldur's Gates 2-3 such a good roleplaying game to :lol:

P.S. O and I vote YES to Romance in Kotor2 :lol:

I don't want romance so much as character development. I just like it when you can interact with characters and create relationships with them. There is so much more to a good story than plot, you need character interaction. Romance is good if it has it's place, but it seems you will have a choice whether you want to persue it or not so everyone will be happy!

I don't want romance so much as character development. I just like it when you can interact with characters and create relationships with them. There is so much more to a good story than plot, you need character interaction. Romance is good if it has it's place, but it seems you will have a choice whether you want to persue it or not so everyone will be happy!

Well, there are a few ways to develop your character. One will be through solving quests and exploring the planets. The other is by interacting with other NPCs. This is were romance comes in.

errrr well you don't NEED romance to interact with NPCs! There are MANY more types of relationships to explore, other than romance ie. Loyal Friend, Good natured competition, mutual disdain, role model, begrudging respect...

Baldur's Gate 2 and 3 are good examples of how the romances should be done in in the game and how they were there to explore and have some fun with some of the NPC's and if you were not intrested in them they had no impact on the main story, I thought KOTOR did this pretty well.

errrr well you don't NEED romance to interact with NPCs! There are MANY more types of relationships to explore, other than romance ie. Loyal Friend, Good natured competition, mutual disdain, role model, begrudging respect...

thank you for explaining that to these people. last time i watched the lord of the rings, i dont remember the dwarf telling the elf that he loves him :D

errrr well you don't NEED romance to interact with NPCs!  There are MANY more types of relationships to explore, other than romance ie. Loyal Friend, Good natured competition, mutual disdain, role model, begrudging respect...

thank you for explaining that to these people. last time i watched the lord of the rings, i dont remember the dwarf telling the elf that he loves him :D

I agree, the romance relationship in the game wasn't nearly as fun as some of the other relationships. I much prefered talking to Joele over Bastilla. Talking to Bastilla was like talking to a nagging girlfriend, but Joele was actually funny to talk with. I hope KOTOR has more LOTR type of relationships, and less "romances". I think the only people really hard pressed for the "romances" are the gamers with out girlfriends in reality...not to insult you...thats just what I think.

Baldur's Gate 2 and 3 are good examples of how the romances should be done in in the game

Baldur's Gate 2 romances were as lame as cliched as Bastila romance.

They were tagged there to please all the little prepubescent, hormonal teens who started screaming 'romances' just because they were able to kiss Annah in Torment.

The result was pure sh*t, but ho well.

As for Baldur's Gate 3, well, there is no BG3...

Side note on the Lucas/Kasdan/Foster thing:

Lucas spent 9 years writting, and rewritting Star Wars. Some of his early scripts were Dune rip-offs involving spice trade on a desert planet, General Skywalker, the Whills, no Jedi, etc.

A New Hope was all Lucas. Foster wanted to write the novel, but missed the boat. He started work on a "sequel" to A New Hope, titled Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Lucas went in a different direction and did Empire Strikes Back, which is infinitely better than Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Foster is a pretty good author, but he didn't have a great grasp of Star Wars. Kasdan added a great influence on Star Wars, but no one can take away from the fact that Lucas had quite a few great movies.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The prequels merely suffer from a lack of an editorial process. Most people don't understand that films are often made or ruined in the editting process. Episode 1 was a fine novel (written by a fine author, Terry Brooks), with a good story. The film suffered greatly. Lucas didn't come up with a horrible story. He told the story poorly. There is a difference.

Back on topic of romance, did anyone here buy the Episode 2 DVD? Did you watch the deleted scenes?

There is a scene where Anakin and Padme visit Padme's family on Naboo that features early in the movie. Anakin is outside playing with the youngins, and Padme is looking out the window at Anakin. In that moment you see Padme's love for Anakin. Her mother catches it, and Padme goes back into the denial that she believes is necessary because of her station. That 10 second moment sets up the rest of the movie, and salvages what otherwise is a rather poor romance. Due to a poor editorial decision, it was cut to have a faster-paced, action-oriented movie.

Really good movies can often be told in brief "beats". X-Men: 2 is a great example (despite being a big-budget studio tent-pole) of fine directing and storytelling. Each of the characters has their story told and realized in efficient dialouge, and good "beats".

Lucas and Obsidian could both take a cue from Singer's excellent storytelling (Apt Pupil, Usual Suspects, X-Men, X-Men: 2)

When all is said and done.... i still wonder how the prequels would have been if lawrence kasdan had been involved in their making...

Whether it be Kasdan, or anyone to challenge Lucas with unique ideas, the prequels would be improved. Lucas admits to being a self-imposed hermit in his ranch, and ignoring all media. He is surrounded by yes men, and funded the prequels on his dime, so he didn't even have to answer to a studio at all.

There is an auteur theory, that the director of the film touches everything in the film, and thusly the film is his vision completely. Lucas is an auteur director, in a bad way. My take on good film making, like good game design, is that it is a team effort. Each person lends their creative speciality, and the director orchestrates it to a cohesive theme.

If the prequels had a script polish, and some work in the editting room, they would be worlds better. I guarantee it.

My question, is what the hell Jonathon Hales is doing. He was hired to polish AOTC script, and it came across as classic Lucas corny dialogue (which I contend plagued Episodes 1, 2, 4 and 6).

Oh finnaly found that book ( The creative impulse (a book about the old trillogy)).

Okey here goes ..Veteran writer Leigh Brackett did the first draft of Empire

and then sadly died of cancer,at this time spielberg and lucas had already hired the young Lawrence kasdan to do the script to Raider of the lost ark,Lucas asked kasdan to take over the writing of Empire ...

Months later Kasdan,Kershner and lucas did partake in a long story conference to hammer the final points in place...and hence Empire was born.

Also found a little side remark by kershner i find somewhat appropiate...

In an interview in Rolling Stone magazine in 1980, Kershner explained,

In an interview in Rolling Stone magazine in 1980, Kershner explained,

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Lucas spent 9 years writting, and rewritting Star Wars.  Some of his early scripts were Dune rip-offs involving spice trade on a desert planet, General Skywalker, the Whills, no Jedi, etc.

Er..., Star Wars it's still a Dune rip-off, except now it's also a Foundation rip off and a Lens Men rip off. It's a John Carter of Mars rip off too, i don't know what else, i'm sure there's lot more rip off involving.

He even ripped off one of my favored sci-fi books (Eon) in Howard the Duck, down to the very design of the alien creature.

Lucas is a con artists, but rabid fans just don't get it...

Lucas went in a different direction and did Empire Strikes Back

The hell he did :

http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/20...ucas/index.html

The last and most crucial link to "Star Wars" and literary science fiction is Leigh Brackett, the original scriptwriter for "The Empire Strikes Back," the first sequel, and by any reasonable standard the best of the series. The late Pauline Kael was a tireless champion of journeyman director Irvin Kershner, and many film buffs take her lead in crediting Kershner with the movie's sense of urgency and drama. But this does an injustice to Brackett, whose career uniquely bridged pulp science fiction and Hollywood. Brackett started out writing space operas in the Smith mode. Her first short story was published by Astounding in 1940, and she quickly became known as an expert pulp technician. She was also a capable teacher, upgrading the work of her husband Edmond Hamilton and tutoring the young Ray Bradbury, who credits her with getting him started as a writer.

Brackett was also adept at other genres. Her first novel, "No Good From a Corpse" (1944), was a mystery story couched in hard-boiled prose so convincing that director Howard Hawks told his secretary to contact "that guy Brackett" to help on his adaptation of Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep." Even when he found out she wasn't a guy, Hawks liked her work well enough to use her on several other films: "Rio Bravo" (1959), "Hatari!" (1961), "El Dorado" (1967), "Rio Lobo" (1970) and "Man's Favorite Sport" (1962). When not writing screenplays, Brackett cranked out a stream of novels: Westerns and mysteries as well as science fiction. Prior to signing on with Lucas, she scripted Robert Altman's 1973 version of "The Long Goodbye" and wrote one episode of a short-lived television series based on Ross Macdonald's Lew Archer mysteries.

Brackett died of cancer shortly after submitting her first draft of "The Empire Strikes Back." Though the film's credits list her as screenwriter along with Lawrence Kasdan, Pollock says Lucas had to throw out her draft and start from scratch with Kasdan's help. This is hard to swallow, bearing in mind that Lucas and Kasdan also co-wrote "Return of the Jedi." The strengths of "The Empire Strikes Back" echo those of Brackett's own work as surely as the mediocrity of "Return of the Jedi" matches that of Kasdan's subsequent films, all built from secondhand materials: Chandler-lite for "Body Heat," warmed-over John Sayles for "The Big Chill."

From Chris Avellone in the Questions to the Devs thread:

I don't like to lock CNPC quest down to romance quests - it's more like we have relationship quests in K2, which aren't tied solely to romance but how much you are an example to your allies and how you treat them. Things like building friendships, loyalties, developing grudging respect or contempt, and occasionally the need to strangle the life out of each other will occur. And you can cheerfully shut them all down and ignore them if you want, though your companions may occasionally lay into each other without prompting.

I'm sorry, but I think this is an horrible idea. One of the reasons that KoTOR has been rated the best RPG of all time across all platforms is because of the romances. While I do like the other interactions, and look forward to them, cutting out the romance is simply awful.

KoTOR was very inspiring to many, many people, due in large part to the character development that was there when the PC was drawing romantically closer to either Carth or Bastila. Romances are included in just about every piece of classical literature out there, from every genre. There is a universal appeal about them, which is one of the reasons why Baldur's Gate II was such an enormous success as well.

The romances are one of the most talked about aspects of the game. The majourity of players love having them in there, and truly appreciate how much they added to the enjoyment of playing KoTOR. I know many, many people are looking forward to the romances in KoTOR 2, and when I asked at E3, I was informed by LA that there would be romances in the story.

Looking at it from purely a writer's standpoint, love is the single most powerful and most used device out there. Using Star Wars, the Han/Leia romance aside, the catalyst for most of the movies was love. Luke's love for Obi Wan, Luke's love for his friends, and finally, Luke's love for his father. It's difficult to inspire that kind of devotion in a third person environment like a game without using the romance card.

Please, please reconsider the romance option. I truly believe that KoTOR2 will suffer if it is left out, and many, many fans will be disappointed.

heh, i just reread this, and it sort of makes no sence.

i dont think it has been rated a great rpg cause of the horrible romance in it

how did the romance in the game inspire people?

i dont know if you can speak for the majority of the people about liking the romance

i dont know about anyone else, but my favorite parts of the game was killing the guy in the locker, great graphics, fun battles, and some of the more creative sidequests like the sandral/matale quest, not some romance plot

i wouldnt say that 'romance of kotor' is the most talked about aspect of the game

how did the romance in the game inspire people?

i dont know if you can speak for the majority of the people about liking the romance

Well, according to the poll a few pages back (I think it's on page 3 or 4) 121 people wanted to see romance implemented somehow in KOTOR2 as opposed to 15 who wanted it eliminated altogether, so the majority of people (at least on this board) overwhelmingly liked the romances.

I liked them insofar as they were probably the only really meaningful character interaction that Bioware implemented in the game (and it provided a way to kill Carth). If Avellone and company succeed with their stated intention to develop other types of relationships they will become significently less important to the game-at least to me.

Of course that's just my opinion and you all know what opinions are like.... :rolleyes: