I didn't beat my first playthrough yet (but started another) but it's a real disappointment to me that I can't put Xoti into her place. We can help Aloth with his multiple personalities disorder, shatter Eder's faith, show the truth to Durance and even Teheku had serious shock  while visiting the Gullet. But Xoti acts like she knows everything and she has right to judge anyone with me nodding to her behavior. 

She's a great character this way but it's getting irritating that I can't really if not change her mind but stand on my own atheist ground and/or mock her for her delusions.

Is that so? The only character development we can go through with her is from being delusional zealot to loony maniac? 

Edited by hermamora
  • Like 1

It is disappointing that there isn’t any solid character growth with Xoti. At best, you can convince her to give consideration to the light side of Eothas/the living instead of being obsessed with the dead.

To be fair though, from her perspective there is a literal walking giant of proof supporting that her “god” is real and Xoti has never struck me as a character that cares too much about the hows or whys. Everything is black and white with her. Her view is right and that’s just how it is, at least in her mind.

Which is mirrored by her endings. She goes either light or dark. I have yet to see any evidence of a true “tempered” ending with her. She’s either Happy Bubble priest or Jane the Ripper.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's the weird part with her - naive character going through a character arc and becoming more mature in the process is a RPG character writing 101. And Xoti doesn't grow as a character at all - she either remains an ignorant, immature zealot she was throughout the whole game or becomes a dangerous lunatic - and that's character devolvment not growth necessarily. And that may be deliberate. She doesn't seem designed with deep philosophical/teological discussions in mind, unfortunately. (Incidentally, she's 27- so she really should get out more.)

And in whole honesty, it's two months in and I still cannot figure out whether Xoti's a badly- or well-written character. Either she's fantastically written cynical deconstruction of a "naive starry-eyed" waifu maiden - with how obnoxious and off-putting she is sometimes, especially during her "romance", or she plays the beforementioned trope straight, she's supposed to be endearing and cute and we are supposed to take her character absolutely seriously. The argument can be made for both, IMO.

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 4

I had ending slides where right after the one with Xoti as psycho killer there was this cheerful tale of her and Maia always being happy together and never far from each other. On the other hand, it would be rich for an assassin to have moral quandaries about a murdering maniac. :biggrin:

That said, I don't have any problems with Charname's influence being very limited on Xoti. Her fanatical faith is a very large part of her identity, why some rando Watcher should suddenly be able to turn it 180°? It would be just as implausible as your influence making Serafen go "Yay slavery!" or Aloth turn zen and irresponsible.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had ending slides where right after the one with Xoti as psycho killer there was this cheerful tale of her and Maia always being happy together and never far from each other. On the other hand, it would be rich for an assassin to have moral quandaries about a murdering maniac. :biggrin:

That said, I don't have any problems with Charname's influence being very limited on Xoti. Her fanatical faith is a very large part of her identity, why some rando Watcher should suddenly be able to turn it 180°? It would be just as implausible as your influence making Serafen go "Yay slavery!" or Aloth turn zen and irresponsible.

I agree with that 100%! My only issue is you largely can't even bring it up when the conversation really feels like it

it could go that direction. It's especially weird because you can bring up these issues to other companions while she's standing there, and it's like she doesn't even process the claims. She does the same thing when Eothas pretty much outs the gods for what they are.

I don't mind if she won't change her mind despite evidence, that's a totally human reaction, I just wish there was *a* reaction.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's the weird part with her - naive character going through a character arc and becoming more mature in the process is a RPG character writing 101. And Xoti doesn't grow as a character at all - she either remains an ignorant, immature zealot she was throughout the whole game or becomes a dangerous lunatic - and that's character devolvment not growth necessarily. And that may be deliberate. She doesn't seem designed with deep philosophical/teological discussions in mind, unfortunately. (Incidentally, she's 27- so she really should get out more.)

And in whole honesty, it's two months in and I still cannot figure out whether Xoti's a badly- or well-written character. Either she's fantastically written cynical deconstruction of a "naive starry-eyed" waifu maiden - with how obnoxious and off-putting she is sometimes, especially during her "romance", or she plays the beforementioned trope straight, she's supposed to be endearing and cute and we are supposed to take her character absolutely seriously. The argument can be made for both, IMO.

I'd say she is well-written, in that, like real life zealots, you aren't going to change her mind. The ultimate RPG cliche is changing someone's lifelong beliefs thanks to the application of approval scores and possible sexual organs. The evil person turned good is always annoying, be it Viconia, Jack, or Zevran. Eder changing his faith was easy, since he was barely hanging on to it. Durance didn't really have any, but kept preaching like he did. Xoti being a perfectly dedicated fundie makes sense.

I think she is both a deconstruction and a cliche. The writer of Drakengard and Nier hates this type of godly waifu, and made the ultimate deconstruction in the original Drakengard with Furiae. But, then again, in that game, your paladin was a child molester, your elf was a baby-eating serial killer, and the world is destroyed by angel babies, so it doesn't stand out that much.

• Like 1

I'd say she is well-written, in that, like real life zealots, you aren't going to change her mind. The ultimate RPG cliche is changing someone's lifelong beliefs thanks to the application of approval scores and possible sexual organs. The evil person turned good is always annoying, be it Viconia, Jack, or Zevran. Eder changing his faith was easy, since he was barely hanging on to it. Durance didn't really have any, but kept preaching like he did. Xoti being a perfectly dedicated fundie makes sense.

I think she is both a deconstruction and a cliche. The writer of Drakengard and Nier hates this type of godly waifu, and made the ultimate deconstruction in the original Drakengard with Furiae. But, then again, in that game, your paladin was a child molester, your elf was a baby-eating serial killer, and the world is destroyed by angel babies, so it doesn't stand out that much.

I hear you, but my problem is more with her consistent immaturity more than anything. I don't need her to go through an entire crisis of faith and join Pallegina in her anti-relligious crusade. Priest with lost faith is a horrid cliche in and of itself. I would just like her to grow up a bit after all the things she saw - drop her sheltered waif attitude, approach her faith and conviction in more critical way, become a responsible and concious priest and not a ignorant zealot that mindlessly spouts Eothasian scriptures like a gospel. Y'know - character development. Tekehu went through that arc - why can't she?

Edited by aksrasjel
  • Like 2

I feel like majority of companions are stagnant... Except for Tekehu. I think I just agree with aksrasjel.

Xoti just seems so unbelievably immature. I've lost my patience for this character. The only thing I liked about her were her unique views on Gaun, how death is intertwined with life. But that's about it and with each playthrough I'm just more fed up with her antics.

• Like 3

I agree Xoti is on another level of annoying but even well made characters get old after numerous playthroughs. This is the reason why I play through pre-made companions once or twice tops then make my own party from scratch onward.

Edited by JiggleFloyd

If you allow me, I think she's well-written as a character but the general writing is lacking of different approaches player could take. I mean how is it possible that there's no harsh responses to her nonsense? Realistically speaking my character picked up nice priest lady who turned out constantly preaching zealot. If not change her mind, why can't we be harsh to her or kick her from the party? I mean some other companions would leave but Xoti is -2 and acting like she owns my ship.

Some very specific dialog choices will allow you to convince Xoti to... not forsake Eothas, but side with you over him. But this doesn’t happen until basically the end of the game.

But it was hilarious when Xoti kept gushing at Eothas, and her own god had to essentially say “The adults are talking right now, Xoti.”

Edited by Incendax
  • Like 1

Some very specific dialog choices will allow you to convince Xoti to... not forsake Eothas, but side with you over him. But this doesn’t happen until basically the end of the game.

But it was hilarious when Xoti kept gushing at Eothas, and her own god had to essentially say “The adults are talking right now, Xoti.”

I think I got that one purely by chance. It's not good but.. It's what little growth and trust she shows.