Why doesn't the tab key work like in PoE1?

In PoE1, when you entered a new location and pressed the tab key, it highlighted all the characters on screen, thus enabling you to see who was a Commoner, a Peasant, and so on, and who had a unique name and was therefore worth talking to. But in Poe2, this does not happen. You have to move your mouse cursor individually to each character, and only then can you see who is who.

Why? I don't see any benefit in making this more complicated than it was.

Is it like this in everybody's game? It seems unlikely that it is a bug only existing in mine.

a)  Becuase this isn't Poe1.

b)  As Boer said, if there is no name showing up, they are peons, and not worth knowing.  Its even more streamlined than 1, because in a room full of random villagers + 1 person you see 1 persons name with tab, compared to 'Commoner' *5  'Peasant' *6 'Relvant NPC'.  Much less clutter.

Actually I find this change to be helpful. Who doesn't display a name after pressing tab is not important at all.

This.  Although as I recall, there is a certain quest where you need to find a character disguised as an "unimportant" bystander.  In that case, the UI does not give the game away by pointing out which bystander is the one you're looking for...

I actually preferred the old way. I liked the idea of having to "investigate" a bit when I enter a room, instead of immediately knowing who's "worth" talking to. Added to the immersion IMO.

Minor gripe though. Carry on

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 1

I like the change. What I don't like is that you can't see the name if they are talking, whether they are an important NPC or an unimportant one, either by tabbing or holding the cursor over them. You have to wait for the dialogue to disappear. It would be preferable if tabbing would hide the dialogue and display the name instead, and then return to the dialogue after you release the tab key.

• Like 3

My only issue with tab highlighting is that some chests/barrels that you can loot require your party to be at a particular angle for it to highlight. So you have to walk around every little corner holding tab down. It is just finicky, but I'll deal.

• Like 1

My only issue with tab highlighting is that some chests/barrels that you can loot require your party to be at a particular angle for it to highlight. So you have to walk around every little corner holding tab down. It is just finicky, but I'll deal.

That is correct. It's not optimal and sometimes lets you miss stuff. Especially dropped loot is often obscured.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You can change the loot detection radius in the settings (default 4m), that should fix it in most cases.

the_ultimate.png

Done with Moon Godlike Wizard

You mean you have to walk around a corner to see what is there. That is so unrealistic.

• Like 1