[Guide] Permanent bonuses / Approach for a "no rest" run

The necklace, Soul Void, grants its whiteleaf effect after rest. If you want to do a no rest run, you must get it before the last rest which starts the no-rest progress. Lady Epero's Estata, Serpents Crown, Neketaka.

When I tried this, its effect had a limitation by seconds -- it started counting down from 273 seconds or something, so it seemed pretty clear that it would run out (its effect) within a short amount of game time.  Have you had a different experience testing it?

I was losing bonuses on a trip to spiders or trip to that massive boar. But not always, I don't know what it is dependent on. So no harm done, just reload an try  again.

Actually both can do that, it seems random.

Good Food, better friends: Can not be acquired after ashen maw, if you have installed the third dlc.

I was losing bonuses on a trip to spiders or trip to that massive boar. But not always, I don't know what it is dependent on. So no harm done, just reload an try  again.

Good Food, better friends: Can not be acquired after ashen maw, if you have installed the third dlc.

Is it still a toss-up between Good Food, Better Friends and food buffs?  The info in the original post said it overwrites ....

Is it still a toss-up between Good Food, Better Friends and food buffs?  The info in the original post said it overwrites ....

Hmm, could not test it yet, but if it still does, the food bonus would be the better choice.

Nope. You can have it from scripted ecounter in Lowland Sands anytime.

• Like 1

signature2jpg-SM2.jpg

Yeah thanks

It seems, it does not override the food bonus.

• Like 1

Yeah thanks

It seems, it does not override the food bonus.

If this is true, it is frakking HUGE.

Hm, so pausing the game doesn't hinder you from doing scripted encounters, but it prevents forced rests, nice.

edit: Hm, not quite, "only" works for "good food better friends" and camping (opieop) but doesn't work for scripted encounters where it says something like "x hours passed", but still being able to combine all foods ingame is pretty crazy

edit: also this doesn't work for camping in a dungeon and the likes, this only works while exploring the world map.

Edited by Raven Darkholme
  • Like 1

So after testing this out on stream today it seems like food pause stacking only works AFTER you got Good food better friends.

Can you explain how it works?  I still don't understand the "pause."  

Are you saying you get Good Food, Better Friends first, then literally "pause" the game before resting to get a food bonus? 

If that's the case, how does pausing for food affect any other no-rest bonuses (like dawnstar) you already picked up?  Or you literally have to do Good Food, Better Friends first before anything?

Also how are able to "combine all foods in game"?  We seem closer to cracking how that guy had so many stacked food buffs when he claimed monk was OP killing the ooze boss....

Edited by brasilgringo

You have to be on the actual world map, where you travel around with the ship for this to work, it neither works on islands or dungeons or anything.

You have to first get Good Food, better friends before any permanent bonuses like dawnstar, because sometimes it deletes your bonuses.

Now you go to the ship map, pause your game and then press the rest button, now you can combine all food bonuses in the game, you will get something ridicolous like 500 hp at max level, -60-70ish damage taken an d +50ish% damage dealt, my freezing pillar did something crazy like 180-200 damage on hit and almost 300 on crit, PER TICK.

• Like 3

You have to be on the actual world map, where you travel around with the ship for this to work, it neither works on islands or dungeons or anything.

You have to first get Good Food, better friends before any permanent bonuses like dawnstar, because sometimes it deletes your bonuses.

Now you go to the ship map, pause your game and then press the rest button, now you can combine all food bonuses in the game, you will get something ridicolous like 500 hp at max level, -60-70ish damage taken an d +50ish% damage dealt, my freezing pillar did something crazy like 180-200 damage on hit and almost 300 on crit, PER TICK.

That's pretty cheap and i would not consider to do that. I can just use the console and cheat, would be the same.

• Like 4

I see a difference between cheating and exploiting, as long as something is in the game it is "legit".

For this specific exploit I have to admit that I don't think more than one playthrough will be fun because the amount of buffs one acquires this way is absolutely massive.

Maybe after one playthrough Obsidian will fix this anyway.

For people trying to recreate this exploit I found out another thing during todays stream:

While this didn't happen on my testcharacter, for my new char I made and played from level 4 I couldn't get this to work without quicksaving and reloading before actually pauseresting.

This makes this impossible to use in Trial of Iron, since deadfires TOI save and load system is absolutely horrible, while the game doesn't even autosave which is an absolutte disgrace, every time one exits the game an exitsave is created, so unless you actually wanna go thru the trouble of saving the actual savefile manually the exitsave will destroy your buffs.

• 1 month later...
For people trying to recreate this exploit I found out another thing during todays stream:

While this didn't happen on my testcharacter, for my new char I made and played from level 4 I couldn't get this to work without quicksaving and reloading before actually pauseresting.

This makes this impossible to use in Trial of Iron, since deadfires TOI save and load system is absolutely horrible, while the game doesn't even autosave which is an absolutte disgrace, every time one exits the game an exitsave is created, so unless you actually wanna go thru the trouble of saving the actual savefile manually the exitsave will destroy your buffs.

I tried for several hours, but I couldn't replicate this in any way, shape, or form. Has it been patched? If not, then there is some other requirement that I am not meeting.

It might have been patched, but as far as I can tell when it disappeared it wasn't in the patch notes, but there was changes to turn based mode which just was introduced back then and one of them had something to do with pausing.

Unless it was a stealth patch, what actually happened they tried doing something to pause for turn based mode, but by doing so they accidentally removed the ability to reload a paused game, which accidentally removed this glitch.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

• 5 weeks later...

I cannot do the scripted encounter for the Seeker without losing my rest bonuses. I think I'm on my fifth attempt now. Anyone know a surefire way? Tried pausing already.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Riiight... well, I did my first and last rest right after picking up my mercs in Port Maje. Works out beautifully if you don't care about reforging the swords or doing Dirty Laundry. This is annoying, maybe I should find some console trick for it.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!