I'm not sure anyone played this game before. But exploring on island, collecting resources, building/events across the maps, neutral stacks of creatures. Deadfire implementation reminds me of Heroes of Might and Magic. I think they can go further with this idea with future expansions or even PoE 3 :)

• Like 3

Heroes of Might and Magic..

Haven't though about that game in ages...

Now..I wish POE2 had artifact for us to find! cose we can find ressources , but they don't pile up as they should . 

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

Heroes of Might and Magic..

Haven't though about that game in ages...

Now..I wish POE2 had artifact for us to find! cose we can find ressources , but they don't pile up as they should . 

yes they can have buildings that give temporary buffs or guarded buildings/establishment once you defeated them you be rewarded the said artifact. i kinda think of endless possibilities how poe3 will move towards!

I have thought that they could release a DLC that keeps all the side quests and companions but removes the main quest. Instead of the main quest there can be goals, like becoming king of Huana tribes and uniting them. Or becoming director of Valian Trading company and forcing the natives into submission. The four factions politics are already there. 

This way the players will be able to choose whether they want to play a RPG or a strategy game. Or both.

Edited by wih
  • Like 1

World map exploration and ships is the least fleshed out thing in this game.
They need to concentrate on better and bigger RPG game-play maps, and keep the world map stuff to minimum.

This is a cRPG, making it some kind of strategy hybrid would only hurt the game even further.

Edited by Farsha

World map exploration and ships is the least fleshed out thing in this game.

They need to concentrate on better and bigger RPG game-play maps, and keep the world map stuff to minimum.

This is a cRPG, making it some kind of strategy hybrid would only hurt the game even further.

Changing the core game is indeed a bad idea. PoE 3 should absolutely be a traditional CRPG. Such experiments should only be done as a spinoff or optional DLC.

I see little similarities - no army to command, no real resource gathering. Heroes world map is a board game, Were you move units around, gather resources explore, block, intercept enemies. PoE world map is still essentially an interactive menu, albeit with resource consumption.

• Like 2

Wow. Interesting.

I remember how Storm of Zehir reminded me of Heroes of Might and Magic, exactly because of the overland map. That's why I was so intrigued by Storm of Zehir. How could a roleplaying game give me the feeling of a HoMM game? That was quite an interesting experience for me.

First of all lemme start a riot. Heroes 5 Is the best HoMM game! /Hide

I love heroes of might and magic, and I'm so sad Ubisoft have destroyed it. Go forth Obsidian and slowly morph pillars into HoMM ;P

No, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is. Closely followed by Heroes of Might and Magic 2.
And no that is not only my personal, subjective opinion but also known, objective, fact. Deal with it. 8)

• Like 4

"Loyal Servant of His Most Fluffyness, Lord Kerfluffleupogus, Devourer of the Faithful!"

ringoffireresistance.gif *wearing the Ring of Fire Resistance* (gift from JFSOCC)

I love heroes of might and magic, and I'm so sad Ubisoft have destroyed it. Go forth Obsidian and slowly morph pillars into HoMM ;P

I am actually with you, but HoM&M5 was the first one I played. Tried to go back to 3, but never grabbed me. Ubi should get their **** together, and release proper HoM&M game without messing it up. From what I have heard 6&7 aren’t worth trying.

Wow. Interesting.

I remember how Storm of Zehir reminded me of Heroes of Might and Magic, exactly because of the overland map. That's why I was so intrigued by Storm of Zehir. How could a roleplaying game give me the feeling of a HoMM game? That was quite an interesting experience for me.

No, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 is. Closely followed by Heroes of Might and Magic 2.

And no that is not only my personal, subjective opinion but also known, objective, fact. Deal with it. 8)

Well, Heroes of Might & Magic was originally conceived as combining the strategic gameplay of King's Bounty with Might & Magic, a roleplaying game series...

• Like 1

y'all got it wrong! Heroes of Might and Magic 4 was tha best ! *throw tomatoe* 

Anyway , that aside..

While the boat remind me of that , this an rpg and should stay as such . I have plenty of strategy games , and there are more outta there to try out .

Let's not change this into that..that's how we end up with something horrible usually . 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

I see little similarities - no army to command, no real resource gathering. Heroes world map is a board game, Were you move units around, gather resources explore, block, intercept enemies. PoE world map is still essentially an interactive menu, albeit with resource consumption.

for me, the combat is a resemblance of the board tactics as well. heroes has always been turn based and that takes away the awesomeness of real-time.

i'm loving deadfire for many years to come. found frostseeker and the siren summon is way awesome! that gave me some wild imaginations about innovating deadfire game modes to resemble heroes of might & magic.

I like Heroes of Might and Magic 3 best, simply because it's much faster to finish a turn, without 20 seconds loading time.

4 on the other hand, I'd say it has tons of potential and fresh ideas, but in the end they never pushed it far enough and decide to go full Might and Magic 3 in Heroes of Might and Magic 5.

• Like 1

The world  map in HOMM is a lot more interesting to explore. In Deafire i keep collecting fruits and water and random events that have you snoozing until you reach a dungeon that takes you 5 minutes to complete...... It's nice they try to evolve the genre,but don't but out major things to add stuff that is not properly fleshed out.

I am actually with you, but HoM&M5 was the first one I played. Tried to go back to 3, but never grabbed me. Ubi should get their **** together, and release proper HoM&M game without messing it up. From what I have heard 6&7 aren’t worth trying.

I have a certain fondness for 2 and played 3 to the death but 5 is actually pretty good (and more balanced than 3) especially with mods (improved AI does help a lot and so does using templates for random maps). 

With that in mind 6 and 7 are worth playing now and they should be rather cheap on sale. They still have some quirks but they do get a bad rep for not being 3 (or 5 for that matter). I'm not saying they're the best in the series but they're worth a look for a change of pace. 

4 went too far away from what 3 did best and that's probably why it isn't so popular. I won't deny it has some interesting ideas but it would certainly be the last one on my list. 

As for the comparison with Deadfire, I can only see similarities with the island hopping in the King's Bounty series (which I thought was what the OP had in mind). 

y'all got it wrong! Heroes of Might and Magic 4 was tha best ! *throw tomatoe*

Come now, it's a fun game that gets a lot of crap merely for not being HoMM3.

lol honestly..I love 2, 3, 4....

But couldn't get into 5...

;)

Elderly Hive Dweller

but yeah , deadfire could use more stuff for us to pick up on the map . i mean , we pick ressources , but they are always the same boring ones . would have been nice , if there was a bit more on the map to pick . 

oh I don't know..maybe say something like you can pick artifact that add + 4 to power of your boat . They can make these items have a limit of use , then you can find more . 

Elderly Hive Dweller