Broke Cantor build 

Meh, I soloed that Area on my lvl 10 or 9 War Caller. What you see here is not that broken on strong at all. Guy is at almost max level and everything dies so slow.

If I went there on his level with Fighter It would end in 3 Charges probably...

Having played a loremaster solo, I can safely say that interrupts aren't as bad as you think if you build defensively. Honestly, you can just grab the concentration passive...

The moment you get your first wave of summons out, they can tank any mob because of their sheer numbers. As for aoes blasting everything to bits, you're severely underestimating beckoner summons here. The ancient brittle skeletons spawn extra skeletons on death and those persist even when you summon a new batch of skeletons. Thanks to your meat wall, you can easily run to the back where it's perfectly safe and out of range of the enemy. Just cast your summon the moment your phrases charge up. Ogres are beefy enough in most cases as well.

By the way, there are hardly any situations where you can't find a choke point...unless you decide to stand there for no rhyme or reason...you can pull mobs you know. Also, there aren't many fast attacking mobs in PoE 2 so even if they kill your summons, you still have a decent chunk of time to finish your invocation. Once more, choke points are everywhere, you just gotta find them. 

Ancient weapons are amazing. Give them a shot.

One last thing, if you are playing a multiclass chanter, you don't really need that many phrases. Instead of casting invocations, you can just rely on your other class to dps/heal/buff/whatever so not much versatility loss there. You only have one action per recovery after all.

Unfortunately some of this doesn't apply to my playstyle. I know that most of the time you can use a chokepoint but the emphasis is on "most of". In PotD Ironman there is no second chance. Also, I play in a party which means that abilities have different values. For example, "Set to Their Purpose.." is much better in a party than solo for obvious reasons. 

I agree that you need less invocations if multiclassing with wizard (I had in mind pure Chanter), but I still have to ask - are there boss battles that are long enough for you to run out of wizard spells? Or Empower takes care of that?

It's not that I'm underestimating Beckoner summons, but merely saying that Beckoner is going to be casting them twice as often because of shorter duration and lower hp. And on top of that has less utility, and usefulness drops as the game progresses because -1 for an invocation of a certain type is much more valuable in the beginning (33% cost reduction) than later on. Also, less useful in a party (compared to Troubadour, both being pure builds of course, easier to compare). 

I'm sure both Beckoner and Troubadour are good though, summons seem very useful. The reason why I'm not playing Beckoner is 1) I don't like tiny summons, and 2) I like diversity and versatility that Troubadour offers over Beckoner. 

As for ancient weapons, they seem good on paper, but I just can't use them, the concept is too silly for my mind. Weapons floating in the air, striking by themselves, as the top level summon of a Chanter.. Of a million things you could design as a summon..

Broke Cantor build 

Meh, I soloed that Area on my lvl 10 or 9 War Caller. What you see here is not that broken on strong at all. Guy is at almost max level and everything dies so slow.

My post wasn't meant as a kind of chalenge to you to tell us that you can solo the area, or to fill your need to diminish someone else's build.  Frankly I don't think that's very important to the discussion and if that's the only feedback you have about the video then that's kind of boring.  Please do better.

Edited by Noctaem

Broke Cantor build 

My post wasn't meant as a kind of chalenge to you to tell us that you can solo the area, or to fill your need to diminish someone else's build.  Frankly I don't think that's very important to the discussion and if that's the only feedback you have about the video then that's kind of boring.  Please do better.

Well, you obviously called that build broken and you brought it into "builds" sub-forum so you pretty much challange in some way people here to take a look at the build you presented.

Also you could just say "Auto Summon Skeleton from Chant in best on Troubadour" as this is discussion about summons. Not that I think you did something wrong, just explaining.

If you call some build broken, you kind of need to be aware that it will be put vs other really broken builds discovered here.

So while build from that video is ok, it's far from broken or even being optimized.

Anyway, let's just get back to summons.

All I know is that I made a 5 beckoner party / 1 troubador party and they cleared POTD so fast it was laughable (to be fair there were 2 paladins multiclassed in there somewhere).  

I've had a beckoner and troubador (yes, both) in every run I've done so far and they're both great for what they are.  Beckoner summons rarely die and have never despawned on me in POTD, I guess if you're playing a super defensive party that takes a while to finish enemies this might be an issue though.  The small size is useful because they need to swarm around things.  Double the amount of half-sized bodies is still roughly the same amount of body blocking potential.  

My only thing is that I think the middle dragons (I don't remember the name) are much better than Ogres, even being a tier lower.  I had a lot of issues with ogres (slowly) gathering around an enemy and not attacking for what felt like a long time, whereas the middle dragon summon throws out it's fire breath AOE poor man's fireball the instant it spawns, which is nice utility.  

P.S. try the 6 chanter party.  At least for a little bit.  Summoning a screen full of the small dragons and their ranged attack spam is kind of hilarious.  

P.P.S.:  You might not have given it much thought but I think the stride chant is super useful for a summoner because the summons can move between enemies a lot faster.  

Edited by jakesmurf

In the beta Beckoner summons had half HP. I didn't heard this was changed. But I didn't check this myself - although I play as a Beckoner. I will check this tomorrow, when I have access to my PC.

But this all doesn't matter. As Beckoner/Paladin your summons on PotD solo never die. So it is completely irrelevant if the "normal" summons have 2x or 4x HP.

@The Josip

As promised I checked the summons health. You were right, the health for Beckoner summons is only a quarter of the health of normal summons. This was changed in the release version of the game ... in the beta it was half health.

Btw you don't get interrupted as solo summoner? Or you use concentration ability/chant?

I have the combat focus ability to give me concentration. Also all my defenses are at 130+ (I can look up the real values tomorrow). And I'm immune to Paralyze (from being woodelf) and Stunned (from item) ... the only two afflictions that stop you from chanting. I also skilled both faster casting passives. You almost never get interrupted and when you get interrupted you are sturdy enough to keep you alive while you cast your next summon.

oops ... I think I underestimated my defenses:

post-195492-0-38235000-1526914501_thumb.jpg

So all defenses are at 150+ ... up to 208 for will defense. These are only the base defenses out of combat with equipment for my level 20 solo Shieldbearer/Beckoner (temporary buffs or resting bonuses not included). I think now I know why I don't get interrupted very often ;)

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
13 hours ago, RoseGoldSeifer said:

So you've obviously played before, and looking at the perk tree for the invocations, do I have to build the pre-summon invocation first and follow the line? Or can I just choose each summon invocation as I level up?

You can just pick the summon invocations when you level up. The only ones that have prerequisites are the upgrades, such as the skellies, wisps, drakes and ogres. To get the upgraded summon you have to select the basic version first.

They also have a small DoT on Hit, but it doesn't stack for multiple Wurms.

The upgrade would be pretty good but :

- it costs +1 phrase to cast so the upgrade isn't really cost effective.

- Wurms weapons don't grow stronger with levels which make them meh. PEN is only 9 which is nice at lvl 3, but useless on Endgame.