Everything posted by Amentep
-
Game looks great, but...
"I love you!" "We must make passionate love!" "Let me...slip into something more comfortable" ... "Barbarian armor is more comfortable?" "Let me Wild Sprint to you and Frenzy!" LATER "Yeah, I dumped him. Turns out he was using 'One Stands Alone' on the other two party members. Skanks." etc.
-
Game looks great, but...
It is blatant barbarian exploitation. Won't someone think of the barbarians?
-
Spanish not equal Spain, the project spanish page is wrong for 350 millions of people
Can't speak for German films*, but the Godzilla movies had an "International" version in English (for the UK and subtitled through the continent in the appropriate language according to the English voice cast) and the American produced version for American audiences who needed both English AND Raymond Burr. *IIRC Herzog's Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht aka Nosferatu the Vampyre had all of the dialogue scenes filmed twice, once with the cast speaking German and once speaking English, but that was an oddity requested by 20th Century Fox who thought it'd work better than dubbing the film in post.
-
Overflowing with money.
I only find it irritating to pick up every item when I'm picking them up and not trying to pick them up like in an Elder Scroll game where you would have an item like roast beef that you could eat and get some ridiculously beefy bonus and it was sitting on a plate which sat on a piece of paper which further sat on a table, and then you went to get the item but got the plate and the paper but the item didn't move on the table like you were doing one of those magic tricks where you pull the table cloth out from under all the place settings and everyone goes "oooo" and "ahhh" when not even a fork shifts from your masterful table cloth pulling and so then you just get mad and started double clicking on everything and picked up every item in sight, including candlesticks and the centerpiece and then you walked out of the room satisfied you'd won over the man who made it hard to pick up a roast beef and then some monster attacked and you whacked it and once it was dead you'd forgotten you'd picked up an entire seven course meal and while selling items you're thinking "where the hell did the potato salad bowl come from and more importantly why the hell is the weapon shop owner buying the potato salad bowl - is he some sort of potato salad bowl fetishist or is there a secondary market in this game for selling bowls that I need to break into and make some cash?"
- PC Gamer Full Demo Video
-
RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS
Those were the things that spoiled the walk. Just like golf.
-
RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS
Haven't the Elder Scrolls games proven there were interest in hiking similators?
-
So DA:I will have stronghold and crafting too
My guess would be much like not stopping the Archdemon; if someone doesn't do it they just keep coming until they'll eventually wear down even the strongest fighters.
-
Experience Point Mechanics - Fighting Enemies
It depends, I wouldn't say "Clear the Cave" and "Clear the Cave for Farmer Bob" would be opposing objectives. So you might have FIND CAVE CLEAR CAVE REPORT TO FARMER BOB As objectives, and you could always report to Farmber Bob after "Clearing the Cave". But lets say Farmer Bob wants you to clear the caves of all Xvarts (but let the Kobolds live because they eat Farmer Dave's cows) and Farmer Dave wants you to Clear the Cave of all Kobolds (and leave the Xvarts because they trash Bob's corn crop). FIND CAVE CLEAR CAVE OF XVARTS CLEAR CAVE OF KOBOLDS REPORT TO FARMER DAVE REPORT TO FARMER BOB You always FIND CAVE on the quest If you CLEAR CAVE OF XVARTS then you can REPORT TO FARMER BOB. If you CLEAR CAVE OF KOBOLDS then you can REPORT TO FARMER DAVE. Succesfully Reporting to Bob or Dave fails the other report quest. CLEAR CAVE OF XVARTS and CLEAR CAVE OF KOBOLDS then REPORT TO FARMER DAVE and REPORT TO FARMER BOB are both failed. But you get the quest XP for clearing the caves too, but there's also reputation tied to it because now Dave and Bob talk bad about you. Etc.
-
Experience Point Mechanics - Fighting Enemies
I don't see why they'd have to program for every possible approach; the key would be to make sure the triggers are properly clearing the quest elements and ensuring that the quest XP is being awarded. Realistically this approach would not care how (or when) it was done.
-
So DA:I will have stronghold and crafting too
I think people wanted to play Qunari because they're not Human, Elf or Dwarf. The standard, generic fantasy races are pretty played out by this point, so there will be at least some people who latch on to those races that are new. Variety is the spice of life and all that. Well, yeah there is that. But I don't see many people clamoring for intelligent darkspawn though, so I think there is an appeal in not being playable in the first game. Or rocking the giant horns. Something like that. But DA would have benefitted from a few more races. My favorite is when you first meet Cullen - you, Anders and Merril all in a group (and Cullen should know Anders since he escaped the Circle in Ferelden) using magic and - yeah there was a Templar Abomination but still I can't believe once he gets back to Kirkwall he isn't telling Meredith about the apostates.
-
Experience Point Mechanics - Fighting Enemies
The way that looks to me, I'd consider handling it by breaking the quest into four parts: FIND THE LAIR OF THE WYRM GET INTO THE LAIR OF THE WYRM KILL THE WYRM REPORT THE SUCCESS TO THE FARMER In your scenario you would get the Quest XP KILL THE WYRM at the time of killing it. You'd get Quest XP for GET INTO THE LAIR OF THE WYRM by killing the guards but could have gotten it as well by sneaking past the guards into the cave. Once the Wyrm was dead, update the Journal with something like: "Just killed an immature Wyrm. Cave nest appears close to farmland; possible that someone there will want to know" When you meet the Farmer and he gives you the quest, you'd get a dialogue to indicate you'd already found the cave and killed the worm, thus satisfying the FIND THE LAIR OF THE WYRM and REPORT THE SUCCESS TO THE FARMER and awarding Quest XP. However if you meet the Farmer first, you'd follow the 4 parts of the quest in order and receive the quest XP as you go. At least that's how I'd assume it'd go. No clue how Obs is going to actually solve it (and they may leave the final award of the quest XP for completing the whole thing, dunno, but smaller dispersments makes more sense to me).
-
So DA:I will have stronghold and crafting too
Well we can hope it's justified. I hope they don't do a DA2 and just not really address the situation (because, frankly, there's no way Hawke-Mage should have not been tossed into the Circle). I'm betting half the appeal of people wanting to play Qunari is solely down to them being unplayable in the first game. Mind you in general, I'm for DA series expanding their racial choices, but they really haven't given a lore way to expand other than Qunari and...intelligent darkspawn I guess.
-
So DA:I will have stronghold and crafting too
Every iteration of DA has changes made to the Qunari. I'm not sure how this is a "change". We know that there are Quinari outside of the Qun in DA2. So what, exactly, changed here...? This is more difficult for me to accept than the Qunari changes. DA:O went to great lengths to show how mages outside of the Circle are considered outcasts and the templars hunt them down. All of this is brought on by the Chantry in DA2. Now the Divine appoints a mage to lead an inquisition? Sorry but if Shepherd from ME made a cameo in DA:I I would not be surprised. There's no integrity left in the story. They should have stuck to the Greywarden/Darkspawn story they had going. It actually got interesting in the final DLC. The Divine (and again, that's my guess, but given that the Divine's right and left hands are assisting the Inquisitor, I think a reasonable guess) appoints the only person who can close FADE BREACHES that are causing death and destruction across Thedas to head up a group to investigate and stop the source of destruction that threatens the world, as they know it. I'm not sure why The Divine would go "Yes, well I know that you are the only possible hope in saving our world as demons reign down from Fade Breaches and slaughter the hepless, but you know...you were an apostate and I just can't forgive that. Sorry let the world burn, but we're 'tranquiling' your ass."
-
So DA:I will have stronghold and crafting too
That's what it seems from what I've read, yeah. It does get tiresome, but I guess its an easy hook to explain why the PC matters in the story. And as I recall Bioware hasn't done a RPG yet that wasn't a variation of "The Chosen One" (unless its NWN - I can't actually remember the plot of the OC on that). BG series, JE, ME series, DA I, DA II were all pretty much annoited PCs. Edit - I've heard what PrimeJunta has said hinted at as well - with much of the story under wraps it'll be hard to say how it'll play out.
- What you did today
-
So DA:I will have stronghold and crafting too
The "Qunari" inquisitor isn't culturally a Qunari. Technically the Qunari would call her - as I understand it - a Valshoth, someone who has never heard the Qun (as opposed to a Tal-Vashoth, someone who has abandoned the Qun). That's the trouble of combining a culture and an ethnicity, though, it lacks clarity. The Inquisition leader is the leader because they're the only person to have survived the initial Fade Breach which has given them special "powers" that can be used to close new Fade breaches, thus they get made the leader regardless of their background. Since the story is heavily in Orlais, I'm guessing the Inquisitor is put in their position by the Divine herself (thus mooting most Templar protestations). I don't find either scenario to be implausible based on the series so far (and again assuming that ultimately the Inquisitor is given the title by the Chantry itself to face the Fade breeches).
-
RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS
Mind you they're saying that the next Mass Effect is more than a few years away. While I'd imagine the stuff they're doing now will be in Frostbite, I do wonder if that'll be the end engine or not.
-
Movies you've seen recently
I guess he could always just do a bio-pic on Tolkein too.
-
The Funny Things Thread.
♪ I feel pretty, Oh, so pretty, I feel pretty and witty and bright! And I pity Any girl who isn't me tonight. ♫
-
Movies you've seen recently
Well I don't think anyone is going for THE SIMILARION - THE MOVIE, so I guess after December. Which IIRC frees him up for the Tintin sequel.
- Saga by Brian K. Vaughan
-
'END CONVERSATION' Suggestion
My suggestion... .... .... .... ....wait for it... .... .... .... "END OF LINE"
-
Experience Point Mechanics - Fighting Enemies
Weirdly - to me at least - the "loot everything in sight" mentality is driven by the economy of the game. Very early on you need every copper piece you can scrape up so you'll take everything that might possibly be sold so that you can buy necessary equipment. The deep stash really doesn't solve the problem, it just manages it differently.
-
Experience Point Mechanics - Fighting Enemies
Well its not "bonus experience", its just experience in the context of PE. But the argument appears to be its okay to award kill xp for every Xvart you find, but to earn stealth XP you have to stealth past every Xvart. Seems inconsistant to me. Ideally if you're not wanting to create accidental incentives for people to play a particular way than the general expectations of outcomes should be similar, I'd think. Inaccessible would be awkward if you stealthed past something you were supposed to steal on your way out to progress through Map 2, but can't go back to Map 1. Units removed wouldn't make logical sense and people seem to dislike that sort of thing in games. And you can leave it like the IE games which meant stealthing was only good for finding traps and scouting too. Its not invalid. That said, I'm not sure how it would effect the "games pacing". I can't say that when I saw a Xvart in BG1 I was pondering over carefully about how much XP I got from it (but perhaps that's just me). Learning from killing is very gamey anyhow, to be fair. Generally people would spend years training and then expand how to apply that training "live" but that's not really the way games work. That said, I readily admit that I probably side more on a gameist side than a simulationist side. YMMV. Which isn't bad, IMO, just different. The ultimate proof is in tasting the pudding, IMO.