Everything posted by Hurlshort
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
Seemed to have a lot of pro-environmental awareness tones to me, which was surprising. Green Party ad could be almost identical.
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
You are driving around in a multi-ton vehicle with a powerful engine, and cyclist are pedaling around on a small frame that weighs 15-30 pounds, yet they are the menace?
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
So you are saying that All Traffic Matters? I get that cyclists and pedestrians can be more mindful, but I don't think you are going to find any cars killed by them. The cars are the bigger problem here. People drive around in multi-ton weapons at high rates of speed while being distracted by all the technology of the day. I'd say the whole culture behind cars needs to start changing.
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/us/bloomington-car-attack-protesters.html I've been disappointed in how people keep trying to dismiss vehicular manslaughter and homicide because people were jaywalking. Then again, I regularly deal with this on the road when I run an cycle. Drivers seem to feel that it is alright to endanger peoples lives if they are in a hurry.
-
The TV and Streaming thread renewed
It's a western version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on a spaceship.
-
Why do consoles suck so much these days?
Yeah, my PS4 gathers dust most of the time. The Nintendo Switch gets a lot more use. It is portable and multiplayer friendly. Every time Nintendo puts out a console, I think it is weird, but then it ends up being the right tool for the right time. That's why they make the big bucks.
-
What Are You Playing Now: The New Beginning Thread
I've been sucked back into Conan Exiles. I started over again, and currently have a neat base set up in the desert near thee pirate ship. I've bridged a couple plateaus and have an elevator that takes me to a rich resource area, so I an happy with the location. The new Greek DLC pack is pretty awesome looking.
-
What you've done today - Days of Our Lives
I get my cast off tomorrow. I am soooo ready. I also need to get a TB test before I report back to work. But I have no idea when I will be reporting, and I really don't want to go to the clinic where they take the test.
-
What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday
This morning I realized I was way behind on my family photo books. Typically I put together a book from our summer trips, and I have them starting from 2009. I guess I never finished 2018, so I polished that one up and ordered it from Shutterfly. Now I need to work on 2019. 2020 is going to be a weird one. We sold our RV, which we've had since that first trip in 2009 when my daughter was just a toddler. So it was already going to be a bit of a change with that, but now the summer trips, triathlons, dance competitions, parades, and hockey camps are all cancelled because of a pandemic. I suppose it will just be pictures of us laying around the house for a summer.
-
What you've done today, tomorrow and yesterday
Happy 4th of July to my countrymen. We had a nice group workout this morning, and now we are taking it easy. I'll BBQ for dinner. I am enjoying the folks poking fun at the All Live Matter crowd by posting All Countries Matter. People really need to laugh at themselves a bit more.
-
nfl 2020-2021
So the NFL is going to play the Black National Anthem before games in week 1. This was surprising to me, since I had no idea it existed. Turns out there is a fascinating history behind the song dating back over 100 years. It seems like a pretty safe way for the NFL to acknowledge their players, who are overwhelmingly African-American, and the current climate. But I am sure insecure people will freak out about it and consider it an attack on their version of 'Merica.
-
What Are You Playing Now: The New Beginning Thread
I mean, African children probably don't complain about their lives like gamers do, but I will leave it alone.
-
What Are You Playing Now: The New Beginning Thread
Yeah, but people usually don't go to AA and try to blame the bars for serving them alcohol. That tends to be the case with gamers who encounter issues. Granted it might be a buggy game, but it also might be an issue with your computer.
-
The TV and Streaming thread renewed
It is still all way cheaper than cable/satellite, and that is with me spending $40 a month on Hulu Live for local news and sports.
-
The TV and Streaming thread renewed
Amazon is easy. Free 2-day shipping pays for itself. Some of this stuff is going to fail and have to join with others (looking at you CBS.) But it also is why we are getting a ton of new and fairly unique content. Shows no longer get cancelled any more, they just jump services. Firefly would have ran 20 seasons in this market and we would all complain about how bad it has become. It is a glorious time.
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
The footage that came out of those camps at the end of the war needs no exaggeration. It depicts the worst of humanity. I agree that History, as a subject, should be kept fairly simple. We weigh cause and effect. Speculation should be kept separate, as that can lead us to completely false narratives such as the Mayan Scholar Utopia or the Great Zimbabwe/Queen of Sheba connection. But history is just one aspect of the Social Sciences, and I'd call it detached or even hard-hearted to ignore all that context and not think critically about how to improve the future. There is nothing political in saying that the Holocaust and Hitler are horrific chapters in human history. That is a pretty simple lesson. It isn't propaganda. I don't see what your objective is in referring to it that way.
-
Beautiful games
Subnautica. I want to live there. Conan Exiles too.
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
A lot of people mistrust the holocaust? I would honestly lump those people in with anti-vaccinators and flat earthers.
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
None of that really erases history though. At least, not any more than has happened with every civilization that has come before us. We've gone through some pretty serious purges and cultural upheavals over the centuries. This stuff is super tame in comparison.
-
Coronavirus: Triple Edition
So not unpredictably, many of the states where you had a ton of protests against SIP and masks are seeing a big jump in cases. Here is a pic from a protest in Austin, Texas: Do you think there is a chance that these guys look at this pic and think,"ok, this is a bad look. I'll calm down on this whole mask thing."? No, I guess self-reflection is probably too much to ask.
-
Weird - Random - Interesting
Somebody tried to make an island analogy and the replies were golden: http://geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=11214
-
Coronavirus: Triple Edition
https://twitter.com/i/status/1275990086262198272 This is golden.
-
The TV and Streaming thread renewed
I just finished Fire Saga, the Eurovision contest movie with Will Farrell. It has been getting some rough reviews, but I don't get it at all. First off, half the movie is set in beautiful Iceland, and then parts of Scotland, so from a visual perspective it is just fun to watch. It's also silly and light hearted, which is what I would expect from Farrell and what I wanted. It was a fun movie and I smiled the whole way through. It wasn't a gut busting comedy, but I was happy to watch something that made me smile.
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
Nope. Sounds like they just rounded up a few black kids that didn't run and called it a day. Hooray for the police!
-
Politics XXXVII (The 12th Prime)
I'm sure Skarpie will use our reactions to validate his opinion that she is brave and will be attacked for her opinions. Of course, he will ignore the fact that he shared her opinion here in the first place, and none of us would have even noticed her if he hadn't.