The best animated series on television.   The Legend of Korra is the sequel series to Avatar: The Last Airbender.  I've always thought the mythology of the series would make an excellent setting for fantasy RPG.  The Legend of Korra is currently in its Season 3, or "Book 3".  All episodes of the current season are available online at the official Nickelodeon website.  Links are below:

Episode 1: A Breath of Fresh Air

Episode 2: Rebirth

Episode 3: The Earth Queen

Episode 4: In Harm’s Way

Episode 5: The Metal Clan

Episode 6: Old Wounds

Episode 7: Original Airbenders

Episode 8: The Terror Within

Episode 9: The Stakeout

Episode 10: Long Live the Queen

Episode 11: The Ultimatum

Edited by ktchong

I was on the Bio forums not too long ago. Just to check out what they are talking about concerning Eternity. I maybe visit it once every couple years. I was amused to find out that they have a MY LITTLE PONY THREAD. I am flabbergasted that as of right now, it's on its 1,888th page.

That's damn good trolling.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

What does that have to do with Legend of Korra, Leferd? This isn't even the first Korra thread we've had - it's a magnificently well animated series that is certainly more mature than any other mainstream animated fare out there right now - the only real flaw it has is that the season finales never really reach the expectations set by the rest of the season.

To clarify for anyone who may be concerned, Korra is now legally watchable on Nick.com and these are legitimate links.

It is definitely a good show, but I feel they sacrificed a lot to make the show what it is. I pretty much rewatched Avatar the Last airbender beore watching legend of Korra and the first things that jumped out at me wasn't even the art style. It was the MASSIVE changes to society, technology, and a decrease in spiritual thought or concerns. I am current with the series now and those misgivings are somewhat meliorated given the events of book 2 and what the conclusion to which means for the world.

am I allowed to discuss spoilers?

Maybe it's just because I'm older, but I couldn't get through season 1 of LoK. Couldn't stomach all the silly love drama - the original Avatar series had its fair share of that, too, but it felt more spread around the series, and by the time it showed up, you were already sucked into the show too much, anyways.

I might be misremembering, since it was such a long time ago when I tried watching LoK, but it also seemed a lot more over the top. I nearly stopped watching the Last Airbender towards the end when they started doing that stupid exaggerated...emotion/expression thing. One of my greatest nitpicks about anime. It always weirded me out that they avoided doing it for *so* long, and then suddenly started adding it here and there. Did they do that a lot for LoK, too? I remember seeing it at least a few times in the few episodes I watched.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Last Airbender is vastly superior to LoK. I watched season one and after that gave up on the series. LoK suffers from a weak main character, that is very hard to like.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Last Airbender is vastly superior to LoK. I watched season one and after that gave up on the series. LoK suffers from a weak main character, that is very hard to like.

Overall, yes.

However, the two absolute best episodes of the entire franchise are from the second season of The Legend of Korra: Beginning Part 1 and 2, which tells the origin of the first Avatar.  (However, the second season of Korra is generally regarded as being the weakest season of the whole franchise, but with two exceptional episodes.)

Also, people are saying this season (Season 3 of Korra) is the best season of the entire Avatar franchise - that's including Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Edited by ktchong

Overall, yes.

However, the two absolute best episodes of the entire franchise are from the second season of The Legend of Korra: Beginning Part 1 and 2, which tells the origin of the first Avatar.  (However, the second season of Korra is generally regarded as being the weakest season of the whole franchise, but with two exceptional episodes.)

Also, people are saying this season (Season 3 of Korra) is the best season of the entire Avatar franchise - that's including Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Oh yes I watched those two episodes, I agree they were good, but then it went back to Korra.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I don't think that's even its worst problem because Aang wasn't a strong character initially but he served a purpose in the story as he was our anchor. Also there was an overarching plot whereas Korra's seem to be thinly representing social issues and just crashing through the series. 

The reason why I disliked it is because every character that was infinitely more interesting than Korra was put on the bench in order for the writers to do nothing with Korra. Or worse they actually agree with her. Is like that Wolverine thing, people like him even though he's a mass murdering psychopath and everyone knows it but no one stops him or antagonizes him.

Basically I can't for the life of me figure out a reason why everyone stays around Korra.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Korra started out great and they were doing a pretty good job of developing the character until around the middle of the first season. They really dropped the ball with the Equalists and that hurt Korra's character development a lot. I think they should have developed the complexity of the whole bender vs. non-bender plot so that Korra had to grow and learn more to deal with such a difficult nuanced problem. They could have actually developed the idea of how benders were abusing their power and that the Equalists were trying to push back against oppression, and both sides could have had good reasons for what they were doing but were still making a lot of mistakes and going too far into the extremes. That way, they could have had Korra become more perceptive, patient, and wiser in how she solves problems. They could have also brought in more of the spiritual element in dealing with such a difficult issue. Instead, they just decided to make Amon into the obvious evil guy and Korra never really had to change to fight him and things got solved through plot conveniences.