Books

Gorth

I'm reading some fun things like "Examination of Inequalities in HIV/AIDS Mortality in the United States From a Fundamental Cause Perspective" and "The Connection between Poverty, Sexual Activity, Knowledge about HIV/AIDS and Willingness to Test for HIV Infection among Young People" - still, I should be able get some recreational reading in during the Thanksgiving break provided no-one decides to assign any last minute projects or papers.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

just finished reading it last night

Sanderson writes Mat in a very different way to Jordan - it can be rather jarring at times

over all though it was still alright. timelines for the characters have caught up to eachother, and finally Perrin starts becoming an interesting character again. though there was some pretty out there kinda stuff too (ie red veiled aiel?)

I think part of the trouble with Mat is that in these books we're seeing Mat more as the General type with that touch more sense of responsibility behind everything. Before, it was still Mat as the wilder, unrestrained individual... At least that's how I squint at it..

I'm not sure quite how to take the Rand transformation aspect.. in some ways it almost feels like a deus ex handwave excuse.. even if it does make a certain sense..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

• 4 months later...

Read the whole Hyperion Cantos. Simmons's writing and characters are great, but the story is horribly convoluted while having a very simplistic point, the sci-fi goes well into metaphysics and I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending either.

Oh and Wise Man's Fear came out and is somewhat disappointing.

I just finished a collection of Dan Abnett fantasy novels. Mixed bunch, the best of which were the Riders of the Dead and the Hammers of Ulric.

Riders of the Dead was absolutely brilliant. Heartily recommend it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm in the midst of Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun series.

I get turned off from scifi stuff from time to time because I can be something of a prose style snob, and so many of the well reputed scifi-type authors write rather dreadful prose. But I'm loving Wolfe in this regard. Also, I'm a sucker for a good unreliable narrator-- the book's sometime-overly-poetic flourishes would feel forced and awkward with standard narrative omniscience, but they work viewed through the lens of the protagonist's (most likely less-than-honest) recollection of events.

Read the whole Hyperion Cantos. Simmons's writing and characters are great, but the story is horribly convoluted while having a very simplistic point, the sci-fi goes well into metaphysics and I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending either.

Oh and Wise Man's Fear came out and is somewhat disappointing.

Don't bother with Endymion. Didn't enjoy those books at all, the main character was pretty irritating. Read Virtual Light by Gibson, simple plot, but the world he fleshes out is pretty interesting, decent light reading. Now I can either read Blindness or Green Mars.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

anyone read the Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko?

my flatmate gave them to me to read but i've barely looked at them and don't know if i can be bothered if they end up being horrible

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I finished off the Amazon Legion by Tom Kratman.. which follows on from his Carnifex and A Desert Called Peace.

(Heh, they might interest Wals actually...)

It actually makes me curious how Baen managed to mix so many quite..right-wing ex-military sci-fi authors with liberal fantasy authors..and keeps them all working as one happy family..

I'm almost in the mood to go and re-read John Ringo's Keldar stuff. Now that's done as pure over-the-top pulp silly mysoginist adventure that is quite an amusing read. If you can put up with the "Oh John Ringo No!" moments that is. :)

books to make my flist's heads explode

Well started Blindness. There's no punctuation and the entire thing is a stream of consciousness but it's not too bad. As for that link...wow. Just...wow.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well started Blindness. There's no punctuation and the entire thing is a stream of consciousness but it's not too bad. As for that link...wow. Just...wow.

If you're wow on that.. make sure to also check out the Author's Reaction to it all... :)

In fact, he endorsed things like tshirts with the phrase "Oh John Ringo No!" and sold them off to raise money for one of those charities that supports "fallen women" and the like trying to get out of the sex trade..

Edited by Raithe

More books this way

>_

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein