Romance & Companions wishes (NON-SPOILERS)

IIRC from the days of Infinity Engine console commands, all of the romance dialogue in BG2 were based on demographics and a timer (and Jaheria's timer was slightly mistimed).  So it was, literally, only a matter of time in BG2 before you'd get the available dialogue to launch the romance if you met the demographic (as if anyone playing a human, elf, half-elf or halfling female PC needed another reason to make sure that Anomen wasn't in their party). 

It seems like PoEII tried to gate it through dispositions but that it not triggering as intended atm since its easier to trigger the thresholds than intended.

Can confirm. "Lovetalks" triggered at regular intervals based on a real-time clock, so long as you met certain prerequisites and hadn't yet locked yourself out of the next one.

That said, there were some problems with this system. On the practical side of things, they were timed to BG2, which was an enormous game if you explored its content thoroughly, so players who didn't do its 100+ hours of sidequests were often out of luck. In addition, LTs wouldn't trigger during acts 4 and 5, which made sense but also meant some fairly lengthy parts of the game didn't progress the clock. On the technical side, there were bugs in several of the LTs. Jaheira's in particular were extremely buggy, and several options killed the romance that definitively shouldn't have. There were also problems with petrification, imprisonment, and death killing the romances.

All of this has been fixed with mods, BTW, and the BG2 romances encompass a vast amount of writing, so people shouldn't hesitate to check them out.

• Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

There were also problems with petrification, imprisonment, and death killing the romances.

Gee, who'd have thought.

Well, specifically, romances get killed if the person leaves the party. Imprisonment and petrification both cause the character affected to leave the party. As a result, even when they're reversed and the character rejoins, the romance breaks. Death bugs were less severe, IIRC.

Remember, this is D&D we're talking about. People stay dead slightly more often than main characters in superhero comics.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

I know, I know. It was a joke, more than anything else, about how the sentence sounds ridiculous without context.

See, this is a thing I love about video games: it's a hobby where such a sentence makes perfect sense.

• Like 4

IIRC from the days of Infinity Engine console commands, all of the romance dialogue in BG2 were based on demographics and a timer (and Jaheria's timer was slightly mistimed).  So it was, literally, only a matter of time in BG2 before you'd get the available dialogue to launch the romance if you met the demographic (as if anyone playing a human, elf, half-elf or halfling female PC needed another reason to make sure that Anomen wasn't in their party). 

It seems like PoEII tried to gate it through dispositions but that it not triggering as intended atm since its easier to trigger the thresholds than intended.

Can confirm. "Lovetalks" triggered at regular intervals based on a real-time clock, so long as you met certain prerequisites and hadn't yet locked yourself out of the next one.

That said, there were some problems with this system. On the practical side of things, they were timed to BG2, which was an enormous game if you explored its content thoroughly, so players who didn't do its 100+ hours of sidequests were often out of luck. In addition, LTs wouldn't trigger during acts 4 and 5, which made sense but also meant some fairly lengthy parts of the game didn't progress the clock. On the technical side, there were bugs in several of the LTs. Jaheira's in particular were extremely buggy, and several options killed the romance that definitively shouldn't have. There were also problems with petrification, imprisonment, and death killing the romances.

All of this has been fixed with mods, BTW, and the BG2 romances encompass a vast amount of writing, so people shouldn't hesitate to check them out.

I just want Bishop's "romance" to be "fixed" in NWN2  :ninja:

• Like 1

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

To be fair his "romance" would consist of wham bam and thank you mam.

and then him probably talking crap about you afterwards.

Yep outside of the bugs (which thankfully were fixed with mods) those romances aren't particularly difficult. It's just time consuming. Least modern BW romances tend to make you initiate the romance with an obvious flirt (and shut it down with an obvious no thanks) instead of burying it in conversations and making it so hours later you're stuck in a romance with someone you never even hit on.

And yeah when those bugs are fixed I'll feel better about judging which romances go too fast/too slow.

Edited by Ryz009

Actually!

There is a Bishop Romance mod for the NWN2 base campaign, currently hosted on the Gibberlings 3 website, and also here. No guarantees as to quality (I've not played it), but it does exist. The same writer did mods for the other three romantic interests in the OC.

Maybe i missed it because of bugs, but i couldn't find any romance in the game. I tried to romance Xioti, flirted with her and eventually got the fade to black, but that's not a romance, that's the prelude for a romance. After that i got the "We need to break up"-dialogue-option and an ending-card that referenced the supposed relationship and that's it. Even the last companion-dialoge after entering Ukaizo didn't acknowledged it in any way. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but to me a romance-option should include some level of doing things together, like the small dates in the Citadel-DLC from ME3, or at least some talking with each other. And since both of these options would just be a little additional writing and not some elaborate cutscene anyway, i really can't reconcile it's current implementation with Josh's wording on doing them right or not at all.

- Xoti is real cute, but you have to consider she's a bit nutty. Like "burn-the-heretic" -kind nutty.

- Maia is... okay. The fact she hates for being nice to the locals is however a bit turnoff.

- Pallegina would be cute, but she's already married to her country, in more ways than one. (she's not even an option)

Not into dudes, so can't give opinion on those.

Would like to see more interaction with your choice after you "confirm" with them that "we'll bang, ok". Also the end credits were really weird for Xoti, like she was my romance, but then she like wanted to bang Eren, and my character tried to encourage her, but then she left, but decided to stay faithfull even being years gone, like... whaa.....?

More consistancy and more little interactions and comments in dialogue, that's my wish.

Edited by lautasantenni

Actually!

There is a Bishop Romance mod for the NWN2 base campaign, currently hosted on the Gibberlings 3 website, and also here. No guarantees as to quality (I've not played it), but it does exist. The same writer did mods for the other three romantic interests in the OC.

I'm aware of it. While I appreciate the attempt, it wasn't what I was looking for. I (personally) feel it butchered his character.

I want to believe a satisfying romance between a good and evil aligned character is possible without a redemption arc. Doesn't have to be a happy ending to be satisfying.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.