First impression on full ability tree

Difficult since no tooltip.

You should stack Perception on someone because of finding traps/secrets. Could as well be the monk...

If you want crits you should also bring somebody who can paralyze and a priest for Devotions.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You should stack Perception on someone because of finding traps/secrets. Could as well be the monk...

Make the Monk a Nalpazca with a Svef problem.  (Long-duration +5 PER.) 

• Like 1

Yes. Too bad you can't cast most PER-inspirations outside of combat. 

Does attacking party members count as combat?

You could unequip a fighters weapon ( so you do little damage), attack a companion and activate his per buff, then stop attacking at once.

In the beta when I did not have a char with high per, most traps were discovered by my fighter in combat.

This means I will have Eder in my party, he gets a fighter/rogue and the mechanics skill.

Yeah it is a bit disappointing. I was hoping Obsidian would manage to create some more exciting Rogue high level abilities. The main thing that put me off Rogues in PoE was not that they were weak (they weren't really) it was that their abilities just didn't appeal to me. 

maybe they ran out of time and had to release the game.

Not many people are going to be happy with this kind off stuff.

It is just mind boggling to look at the chanters full roster of abilities compared to a rogues

From the research i have done (basicaly the last 2 days full time) i reckon the :

Powerful range of classes:

- chanter

- Paladin

- fighter

- monk

- priest (only for there high level spellls)

- Barbarian

- wizard

Mid tier

- none they are all quiet balanced apart from the three below

Lower Mid Tier

- Rogue

- Cipher

Gutter Trash

- Ranger

Edited by master guardian

To be fair it's easier to come up with cool abilities for spell casting classes like Chanters, or even Paladins. By and large Rogues are supposed to be non-magical so you have to find some way to make attacking with your mundane weapons and/or stealthing as cool as summoning a Dragon.

That said, in PoE I felt they did a good job with Fighters and Rangers despite the same limitations. For Rangers it was the combination of Twinned Shot (sadly kinda ruined in Deadfire) and Driving Flight: it wasn't flashy but that simply multiplication by 4 was cool enough to be appealing. With Fighters you had Charge: again fairly mundane but powerful and it changed the way the class worked in an interesting way.

To be fair it's easier to come up with cool abilities for spell casting classes like Chanters, or even Paladins. By and large Rogues are supposed to be non-magical so you have to find some way to make attacking with your mundane weapons and/or stealthing as cool as summoning a Dragon.

Or maybe that shouldn't be a thing in a setting where everything is soul-powered one way or another.

“X is supposed to be mundane” is why we can't have nice things, IMO.

Pillars of Bugothas

The problem imo isn't mundanity, it's that all the abilities are the same. No modals, no temporary self buffs, very little flavored abilities. It's all just afflictions. Fighter and Barbarian are just fine in both variety and flavor, and they're just as mundane.

• Like 1

Or maybe that shouldn't be a thing in a setting where everything is soul-powered one way or another.

“X is supposed to be mundane” is why we can't have nice things, IMO.

No argument from me. Shadowstep seems at least somewhat magical in nature.

The problem imo isn't mundanity, it's that all the abilities are the same. No modals, no temporary self buffs, very little flavored abilities. It's all just afflictions. Fighter and Barbarian are just fine in both variety and flavor, and they're just as mundane.

You need to wait tier 8 to get a swift inspiration, when a monk level 1 can get quick + action speed, a fighter at tier 2-3 get a good critical hit conversion etc... Why remove the reckless modal? They could have introduced a switch between reckless assault and cautious defense. I find a modal more active/interesting than a passive, and it don't compet with other active abilities for your resources.

No throwing knife? (outside of a shadow step upgrade). Ability to hit/interrupt at distance without switching weapon fit the rogue I find. A fan knife attack like the wizard ghost blade could fit too. A backstab that actualy work while dual daggers.

Even if you consider the 'classic' rogue/assassin it miss lot of features. At least we have proper poisons now (I hope they're usefull) but the rogue could have got a passive to increase duration/potency of the poisons, or an active ability that give you a guile based 'basic' poison so you always have access to poison.

There are many potentially interesting, non magic skills fitting a rogue, caltops, poisons, choking gasses as you disappear, acid vial etc.

The thing is... I think now you have all these abilities as quick items. That mean it should be easy to implement, quick items don't replace class abilities (you have scrolls and potions and they don't replace the class spells). Rogue already have a smoke grenade, they could get their own unique poison / grenade / caltrop as class abilities.