Obs Vs Bis Comparison/expectation

Comparing BIS and OBS due to the staff thing. Good thing or bad? same with expectations?

well, most people here either see FO or PS:T as their favorite RPG. So in some ways, you can't get around comparing the two, if only by the games they eventually release.

It's been a long time since either FO or PS:T were released, so holding people to those standards may not be realistic simply due to the passage of time. Styles, inlfuences, theories etc change, so whatever Obsidian come up with now may very well likely not mirror either FO or PS:T.

I don't think comparing BIS and Obsidian is fair, either. While Obsidian clearly has a lot of BIS people, it's not the same group and may not even have the same agenda (there are some key people missing). I think comparisons may only be valid after we have a couple of Obsidian games to play.

Expectations are inescapably high for Obsidian, and justifiably so. There's some good talent there, and a desire on our part to see some really good (eg PS:T or FO) RPGs made for the PC.

newlogo.gif

Would it be a good idea to list the people currently working at OBS and those who worked for BIS and post that somewhere? (here?)

But I'm happy for Obsidian but also aware not to be too happy. People aren't everything, people do change. I just hope I'm wrong, and that OBS can prove that by developing one heck of a game !

I don't think this belongs in suggestions, heh.

Exitium

RPG Codex - the premier avant garde gaming news site.

"It is more convenient to follow one's conscience than one's intelligence, for at every failure, conscience finds an excuse and an encouragement in itself. That is why there are so many conscientious and so few intelligent people." - Nietzsche

then i suggest, it's ok here in the suggestions-board, after these 2 suggestions, isn't it.

kc-tang: luckily, people do and did change. bis sure made great games, but they were often, if not always, released before everything was finished (except maybe iwd1). furthermore, there were far too many "rohrkrepierer", as you'd say in german, (no idea how to say it in english). games, that were being developed for quite some time, but then left unfinished, to death. i hope, that'll change with the new company.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

i agree BIS games often had a habit of coming out unfinished, or canned when they were all but done.

but having people at OBS that have made such fantastic game does help, but the degree of input a publisher has can often turn a good thing into crud.

Comparing BIS and OBS due to the staff thing. Good thing or bad? same with expectations?

well, most people here either see FO or PS:T as their favorite RPG. So in some ways, you can't get around comparing the two, if only by the games they eventually release.

if obsidian announces that the game they is working on is kotor2, we suspect that the favorite game of most obsidian posters will be kotor... and many of those kotor fans won't know or care 'bout bis.

just a little perspective.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

if obsidian announces that the game they is working on is kotor2, we suspect that the favorite game of most obsidian posters will be kotor... and many of those kotor fans won't know or care 'bout bis.

Scary thought. I am sure we'll do our best to drive those people away and force Obsidian to make games that we want. Or something.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

that makes me remember the nwn fans on some other boards... i hope that won't happen.

I am sure we'll do our best to drive those people away and force Obsidian to make games that we want. Or something.

better no driving away possible buyers of obsidian products, wether it's kotor or anything else. we want that studio to survive, don't we?

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

...send them sexy e-mails.

*shudder*

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

...send them sexy e-mails.

*shudder*

I wasn't actually referencing my uber-pwn, but thinking about it LAHLZ!

(for those not in the know, I mass-emailed everyone on DAC a naughty picture.)

Is obsidian basically everyone from bis, or were there some other companys (besides troika)?

>*

Well, the Obsidian/BIS comparison has to be there.. I mean why else would we be here? Who would care for Obsidian if they didn't have their back catalogue of games to take into consideration?

Strangely enough, none of the BIS games are my absolute favourites. (Daggerfall, Wasteland, Deus Ex, Gothic, Gothic 2 in no particular order) But Fallout/Fallout 2 were incredible games, KotOR was fun, but easy and short and I only played Baldur's Gate (not the sequel) and Icewind Dale for a short while because those games were too slow for my taste.

Since more and more RPG's are taking the 3D step I'm expecting Obsidians next project to be in full 3D. With a little luck it'll be in the Fallout/Wasteland universe. There have been a few RPG's in full 3D, but none in a dark futuristic wasteland, like in Fallout or Wasteland. That's mainly what I am hoping for.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Aye, I agree with mkreku that most likely everyone on these boards right now is here because they are aware of the link between Obsidian and BIS. Also for some time to come most newsbits and articles about Obsidian will not fail to mention the BIS heritage. However that does not mean the comparison will necessarily be fruitful when we will get our hands on the first product. Time will tell.