Having a hard time picking a multiclass for my cipher that fits his background: high tech, gun-using, pro-animancy

From what I've been reading, ciphers in PoE2 are better as physical damage dealers with their weapons than spellcasters, which is fine by me. In PoE1 I loved playing a blunderbuss-wielding cipher which really reinforced my roleplay character as being a neophile, a fan of high tech and high magic being combined. And since that character's all about combining things, I'm pretty dang sure I will want to multiclass him in PoE2 though I am having some indecision as to what I might go with.

My first three choices are rogue, ranger and wizard. Rogue due to the mechanics buff and sneak attacks, ranger due to the ranged weapon focus and wizard for the more roleplaying related background of an educated man. I was wondering if there are any classes and builds I'm overlooking, perhaps because I assume their abilities only work in melee but they might be good for ranged combat as well.

Have you considered a barbarian/ranger who fights with clubs?

****posting aside, as far as RP goes what about chanter?  Kana's story is a great example of a man well educated in history whose focus is on progress. That seems like it could fit into your character well. 

Edited by George_Truman

Have you considered a barbarian/ranger who fights with clubs?

****posting aside, as far as RP goes what about chanter?  Kana's story is a great example of a man well educated in history whose focus is on progress. That seems like it could fit into your character well. 

I've considered it, but I don't know if the chanter has much symmetry with a cipher's ranged attacks?

I think rogue is the best choice. A ranger could work, unless you're playing a soul blade, because I think that's melee only. Wizard seems an odd choice to me.

How about monk? Between the helwalkers ability to raise might and the soul whip, you should get some good damage.

Magran is about advanced warfare and likes firearms (which are the dernier cri on the battlefield). Faith attuned sword + pistol with the 50% lash generate a lot of focus, too.

An awesome source of focus is cipher/wizard with Kalakoth's Minor Blights + one handed weapon in offhand (like dagger). I don't know if it fits the description of neophil though.

Maybe you should wait for Serafen and then take away his hand mortar? That seems to be quite the new thing.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Magran is about advanced warfare and likes firearms (which are the dernier cri on the battlefield). Faith attuned sword + pistol with the 50% lash generate a lot of focus, too.

An awesome source of focus is cipher/wizard with Kalakoth's Minor Blights + one handed weapon in offhand (like dagger). I don't know if it fits the description of neophil though.

Maybe you should wait for Serafen and then take away his hand mortar? That seems to be quite the new thing.

In PoE 1 Magran priests got bonuses to, what was it, greatswords and arquebuses? Do they get that in PoE2? I don't have the beta.

In PoE they got a special talent that granted +10 ACC to sword and arquebus which put them on the same level of ACC as fighters with those two weapons.

In Deadfire there are no weapon focuses for everyone but there are proficiencies which only give you some modals that can be useful in certain situations but are not always beneficial. Everybody can take them. Priests can all summon a special "Spiritual Weapon" now which are kind of in line with the talents of PoE. So magranites can summon a pistol + sword. Those weapons have an automatic lash of 50% (very powerful) and scale with level. At range you can fire the pistol and in melee you can use the sword. Both profit from dual wielding speed bonus even if you only strike with the sword in melee/shoot with the pistol at range.

Edited by Boeroer

Have the same problem as you do.

Once again, it is all about roleplay-powerplay conflict.

My way of thinking over this:

1. The Rogue is the best damage-per-target class. Devs chose rogue-cipher (mindstalker) combo for Ydwin, her background pretty matches your description - educated, pro-animancy, progressive. So, rogue-cipher fits lorewise and is good combatwise.

The only thing is to remember that in PoE Rogue is not equal Thief.

2. Ranger is obviously the 2nd choice, has synergy with cipher, but a bit strange lorewise. In late medieval times and pretty much through all later history progressive people lean towards cities. It is not early medieval, when remote monasteries were ahead in education and studies. So, educated and progressive ranger from the wildlands is hard to explain and roleplay. But he's good in battle.

3. Wizard won't do. Ciphers need to MC with classes, that add to damage output, or at least don't distract from "damage-cast-damage-cast" cycle.

4. I am thinking of trying Cipher-Chanter, but I am afraid it will be very weak. I like these 2 classes very much, but they don't add anything to each other. But at least chanting is done in background mode and won't distract from dealing dam and gaining focus. But so far I haven't seen any mention of this combo being of any success.

In general, the most educated classes seem to be wizards, chanters, druids. We may also suggest that certain paladin orders and priesthoods provide general education (literacy and count at least).

I'm not sure that ciphers were ever mentioned as educated in-game. As I get it, ciphers are more about inborn abilities and training, not systematic education. First ciphers were encountered among wild orlans and elves, who dwell in early tribal form of society, they are intolerant, closed, and not progressive in any way.

3. Wizard won't do. Ciphers need to MC with classes, that add to damage output, or at least don't distract from "damage-cast-damage-cast" cycle.

Try out Minor Blights or Citzal's Spirit Lance + cipher and evaluate again. :)

4. I am thinking of trying Cipher-Chanter, but I am afraid it will be very weak. I like these 2 classes very much, but they don't add anything to each other.

Except Mith Fyr can add a 25% lash to your weapon which will grant additional focus, Killers Froze Stiff will paralyze in an AoE so you don't need to waste focus and casting time for Mental Binding or similar or you can use Come Sweet Winds or Ancient Memory (later Courage Thick as Steel) to become a very sturdy cipher. Sure Handed Ila reduces the reload time of your gun, Hel-Hyraf and Hammering Thoughts stack for +3 PEN... stuff like that.

I had a lot of fun withg a Beguiler/Trickster (tons of CC options with rel. fast casting times) - he's not top notch in damage, but he causes hefty CC effects in an AoE nearly 100% of combat with Confounding Blind/Arterial Strike with a rod+Blast and Eyestrike, if targeted properly, gives you back more focus than you spent.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Try out Minor Blights or Citzal's Spirit Lance + cipher and evaluate again. :)

4. I am thinking of trying Cipher-Chanter, but I am afraid it will be very weak. I like these 2 classes very much, but they don't add anything to each other.

Except Mith Fyr can add a 25% lash to your weapon which will grant additional focus, Killers Froze Stiff will paralyze in an AoE so you don't need to waste focus and casting time for Mental Binding or similar or you can use Come Sweet Winds or Ancient Memory (later Courage Thick as Steel) to become a very sturdy cipher. Sure Handed Ila reduces the reload time of your gun, Hel-Hyraf and Hammering Thoughts stack for +3 PEN... stuff like that.

I had a lot of fun withg a Beguiler/Trickster (tons of CC options with rel. fast casting times) - he's not top notch in damage, but he causes hefty CC effects in an AoE nearly 100% of combat with Confounding Blind/Arterial Strike with a rod+Blast and Eyestrike, if targeted properly, gives you back more focus than you spent.

Close-combat wizards are tough, no argue with that. But if we drop guns-only limitations, cipher can be combined almost with every class. 

About cipher-chanter, thanks, that's some very reassuring info. But I lack such deep knowledge of all the mechanics, and I fear it will be very difficult to build him properly. Better leave for the 2-3 run.

Trickster-Beguiler is the crowd-control machine and is the closet to my view of original glanfanthan ciphers.

I could see justifying a cipher/ranger combo as a worshiper of Galawain in both his aspect of god of literal hunting but also god of the pursuit of knowledge... unfortunately, after the end of PoE1 my character's a le fedora tippin' euphoric atheist so that doesn't work.

I didn't know Chanters gave any lash damage to ranged weapons, I'll play around with that once the game drops. Are chanter chants still kinda "fire and forget" like they were in PoE, or has the power system made activating them more active like wizard/priest/druid spells?

A Chanter plays a lot more reactive in Deadfire. They start combat with phrases and there are ways to speed up phrase collection (Skalds gain phrases on melee crit, Troubadours can use Brisk Recitation which is +100% collection speed and so on).

Also a Skald pays less phrases for offensive invocations and a Beckoner pays less for summons.

Phrases now all have the same base length - they don't get longer and longer with every level.

Compared to other casters' spells Chanters' invocations are pretty fast casts, too.

Edited by Boeroer

Right. A fighter (who's all about Discipline and effectiveness) could be played as an open-minded warrior when it comes to new technology on the battlefield. Especially a Black Jacket (get 4 slots and quick-switch arquebuses) or Devoted (get additional +2 PEN with a gun of your choice).