New Features Trailer and Preview

Yennifer and Triss are both pretty terrible people and I kind of hated them equally.

Yen is not terrible. She can be a bit unempathetic but she acts on pretty solid logic. She has good reasons for doing things she does.

Yeah but she's kind of a giant **** to everybody while she does it. She treats Geralt terribly throughout the game and it's played as some sort of epic troubled romance, but she's just really mean to him all the time. When she accused him of cheating on her when he was amnesiac and being lied to, I decided she was pretty terrible and I hated her.

Yennifer and Triss are both pretty terrible people and I kind of hated them equally.

Yen is not terrible. She can be a bit unempathetic but she acts on pretty solid logic. She has good reasons for doing things she does.

Yeah but she's kind of a giant **** to everybody while she does it. She treats Geralt terribly throughout the game and it's played as some sort of epic troubled romance, but she's just really mean to him all the time. When she accused him of cheating on her when he was amnesiac and being lied to, I decided she was pretty terrible and I hated her.

Geralt loves her though,which is one of the major problem I have with Witcher 3: it gives the player too many options. Geralt has established personality and personal history, yet the game let the player make lots of decisions for him. Some of these decisions are fine, but others didn't really fit with his character, and it breaks the immersion completely. The romance option is one of them.

Edited by jf8350143

Geralt loves her though,which is one of the major problem I have with Witcher 3: it gives the player too many options. Geralt has established personality and personal history, yet the game let the player make lots of decisions for him. Some of these decisions are fine, but others didn't really fit with his character, and it breaks the immersion completely. The romance option is one of them.

On, I think it’s here that W3 is really brilliant. Geralt did love her in books and he can love her in W3. However, for two games he has been in love with Triss, due to amnesia. Now who is Geralt at this point? I think that very much depends on your perspective as a player. I can imagine that Yen might be just as odd pick for someone who played games only. Story wise PR used a neat trick with releasing the genie to give a way for Geralt to break connection he shared with Yen. A very neat way to get out, and really lovely scene if you want to continue the romance.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

So is Geralt. She can be brutal, but also tends to be right. Isn’t it excusable for her to be furious that Geralt ****ed her best friend?

“Yen, I lost my memory.

Is that your excuse?”

It’s not cool. I would be disappointed if she just accepted that. She calms down quite a bit, if you continue her romance.

On, I think it’s here that W3 is really brilliant. Geralt did love her in books and he can love her in W3. However, for two games he has been in love with Triss, due to amnesia. Now who Geralt is anymore? I think that very much depends on your perspective as a player. I can imagine that Yen might be just as odd pick for someone who played games only. Story wise PR used a neat trick with releasing the genie to give a way for Geralt to break connection he shared with Yen. A very neat way to get out, and really lovely scene if you want to continue the romance.

The way I see it amnesia and the genie is a convenient way to let the players have more choices since game fans love Triss and forcing them to go after Yen who didn't really appear in the game before will make them unhappy. And I don't really feel like it's a bad choice for the dev. However let the player be able to walk away and let Roche killed by Djikstra is a really bad move.

There's some light ribbing here and there but I really don't think it goes further than that. I think people just aren't used to NPCs talking back to them without the option to hit them with a sword to punish them for it.

The quest with the djinn totally missed the point. Djinns can't force someone to fall in love in this setting. That was never what happened.

Edited by The Sharmat

So what do Andrzej Sapkowski's masturbatory fantasies have to do with PoE or the new features seen in the trailer or article of the OP?

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

So what do Andrzej Sapkowski's masturbatory fantasies have to do with PoE or the new features seen in the trailer or article of the OP?

I do not know; neither do I know what reason you could have to debase someone's writing as "masturbatory fantasies".

• Like 1

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

I do not know; neither do I know what reason you could have to debase someone's writing as "masturbatory fantasies".

Because it's basically what it is? The series is pretty terrible, and I've never been able to get into the Witcher games because I've had the misfortune to read the books before the games came out. 

• Like 1

Because it's basically what it is? The series is pretty terrible, and I've never been able to get into the Witcher games because I've had the misfortune to read the books before the games came out. 

I'm still not seeing any elaboration on what makes the series terrible or "masturbatory fantasies".

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

I'm still not seeing any elaboration on what makes the series terrible or "masturbatory fantasies".

They are infantile wish fulfillment fantasies with one dimensional characters, and every girl falling for Geralt. It's only prominent because the fantasy genre didn't really exist in Poland when the first stories came out in the late 80s

• Like 1

They are infantile wish fulfillment fantasies with one dimensional characters, and every girl falling for Geralt. It's only prominent because the fantasy genre didn't really exist in Poland when the first stories came out in the late 80s

Well, I fully disagree with just about every opinion you expressed; so, I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

So is Geralt. She can be brutal, but also tends to be right. Isn’t it excusable for her to be furious that Geralt ****ed her best friend?

“Yen, I lost my memory.

Is that your excuse?”

It’s not cool. I would be disappointed if she just accepted that. She calms down quite a bit, if you continue her romance.

Geralt didn't "**** her best friend". Geralt was amnesiac and manipulated in to a sexual relationship when he had no way of knowing it was not true. Triss *raped him*. That's what that is; she took advantage of his vulnerable state to manipulate him into a sexual relationship that he would not otherwise have engaged in.

That's the problem I see there. Geralt was taken advantage of; Yen only see's how it affects her, and utterly ignores the fact that *Geralt was raped*. Triss is a **** person for having done that; Yen is a **** person for not caring that it was done to him and only seeing how it affects her. This isn't a one time thing, either; throughout their "romance" Geralt is continually ignoring, defending, or denying that Yen consistently treats him like **** and only cares about how things are affecting *her*. It's even commented on by other people; Yen treats him like a dog and Geralt goes along with it because he "loves her".

I had something to say to your second point, but that would only take this further off point. If you're actually curious about my opinions, we can discuss it over PMs. 

As for the OP, I'm actually really curious about the possibility of attacking forts with our ship. I'm wondering if it'll work like standard ship combat, or if it will be a unique scripted interaction. 

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

So you didn't actually read the books, you just played an hour of the Witcher 1?

The quest with the djinn totally missed the point. Djinns can't force someone to fall in love in this setting. That was never what happened.

Why you say so? Yen certainly wasn’t in love with Geralt before the third wish. Whenever it was Djinn’s magic, or Geralt caring that started it - well, that’s the part unexplained in the short story, and one PR cleverly took an advantage of.

I'm pretty curious to know by someone that regard Sapkowski's work as "masturbatory fantasy" what thinks of G.R.R. Martin. I mean, you really can't get more explicit in a needless way than Martin to be honest.

I also don't remember all that sex in witcher's books...

Edited by Daled