Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time post. I've been following deadfire's development off and on and I'm really excited about the potential to dual wield pistols.

I've been stewing over the ways to maximize the potential of dual wielding pistols for ideal builds and I was wondering what some of you savvier/more experienced builders think given the information we have to date. I've compiled a few thoughts below but I take the following as assumptions that can be easily disputed with a fact I'm unaware of:

-Firearms have zero recovery only reload time (Can't remember where I read this so it's in speculation)

-Rapid Fire module gives at least 20% reload increase (haven't seen the percent in-game from any of the beta streams)

-Gunner from Ranger ability provides 50% reload increase (based off PoE1)

-Speed increase are multiplicative as in PoE1

-Speed weapons exist (I don't believe there were any in the Beta)

-Armor doesn't effect reload times only recovery times (Can't remember where i read this so it's in speculation)

-Dexterity effects reload, recovery and animation times

My thoughts are around a paladin multiclass where you full attack FoD with both pistols, this stacked with sworn rival and potential multiclass damage sources for strong burst damage but attempting to get reload time to a minimum for strong sustained dps as well. Top it off with being able to wear heavy armor without consequence (assuming you don't multiclass into a caster) being fairly durable should you draw threat due to surprise or poor positioning.

All this has me leaning towards a Kind Wayfarer/Sharpshooter build but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks when looking at maximizing the dual pistol(/blunnderbuss) potential.

I am not in the beta, so…

How does the dual pistol affects ciphers and their ability to get focus? Does it make them over powered?…

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

And armor doesn't affect reload time, only Dex and +action speed ability/spell.

Sounds like a bug, because we were told that armor will affect reloading duration in Deadfire. 

How does the dual pistol affects ciphers and their ability to get focus? Does it make them over powered?…

It doesn't make them OP yet. Dual-wielding two 1H does, because of the wrong base recovery duration (1s instead of 3s).

But the thing is, except for Soul Annihilation, there is nothing worthy to do with you focus anyway. Instead of waiting for casting animation, it's better to keep auto-attacking.

• 1 month later...

got a user just to follow this

Super exited about doing a similar dual firearm concept, but using a hearth orlan for the extra crits

on the class side of things im going for Fighter/sharpshooter concentrating in the pistols aspect, maximizing, the speed of the shots but giving sufficient buff to acc so it also hits.

The idea is go with this abilities and use the ones left for some survival (character or mascot)

fighter: Discipline barrage, two weapon style, fighter stance, confident aim, weapon specialization, conquerer stance, armored graze...

ranger: Marked prey, wounding shot, marksman, gunner, marked for the hunt, accurate wounding concussive shot.....

Can this be done with a blunderbuss (much more thematic) or the low PEN makes it impossible to do it without pistols?

is it ok to go Devoted? or do i loose to much locking myself into one weapon?

played the first PoE when it came out but never finish it, so completely noob here, thanks for the help

got a user just to follow this

Super exited about doing a similar dual firearm concept, but using a hearth orlan for the extra crits

on the class side of things im going for Fighter/sharpshooter concentrating in the pistols aspect, maximizing, the speed of the shots but giving sufficient buff to acc so it also hits.

The idea is go with this abilities and use the ones left for some survival (character or mascot)

fighter: Discipline barrage, two weapon style, fighter stance, confident aim, weapon specialization, conquerer stance, armored graze...

ranger: Marked prey, wounding shot, marksman, gunner, marked for the hunt, accurate wounding concussive shot.....

Can this be done with a blunderbuss (much more thematic) or the low PEN makes it impossible to do it without pistols?

is it ok to go Devoted? or do i loose to much locking myself into one weapon?

played the first PoE when it came out but never finish it, so completely noob here, thanks for the help

The Devoted penetration bonus does stack with Sharpshooter for +4 penetration, so that's pretty good. If you can get the Tenacious inspiration that will be +6 penetration. Empower can also boost penetration. 

Black Jacket has a huge initial speed boost because you can quick switch four times without any reload or recovery time. Dual wielding firearms is currently bugged but once it's working again it should allow you to fire 8 times at the start of the fight. Black Jacket's main drawback is no Constant Recovery but that's not as useful for a ranged character anyway. Fights often don't last very long so I'd expect Black Jacket to have higher firearm DPS than Devoted in most cases.

You'll want a Chanter in the party for the chant that speeds up reload speed. If in the future everything that speeds up recovery will speed up reload speed too then Berserker might become good (bonus accuracy, Tenacious, +60% action speed with Frenzy + Wild Sprint + Bloodlust, reload speed instantly refunded if you kill the target with Barbaric Blow).

I tried a Black Jacket/Sharpshooter in the first beta version and it was indeed the case that you could fire 8 shots from dual pistol (or blunderbuss) before reloading. Of course you had to switch manually after every second shot - which is a pain in the back in terms of micromanagement. Sadly, there is no AI scripting option yet that lets your char switch weapon sets automatically.

I would usually attack the nearest enemies with the first 8 shots, then switch on the modal for rapid reloading and shoot at the enemies that are farther away in order to balance out the horrible ACC malus. But the reloading with the modal is really fast, so... depends I guess.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Haha - I didn't think about a Streetfighter who so to say flanks himself all the time via powder burns in order to activate his bonuses. Nice idea. ;)

I think I'll quickly double-check if the lash gets applied, wait a minute...

Edited by Boeroer

Nope, does not apply - just as you predicted.

Powder Burns is quite underwhelming not only because of the distraction, but also in terms of damage (just did a test with 15 RES).

Edited by Boeroer

By the way: does FoD also apply a burning lash to the Powder Burn's AoE?

Nah I don't think so, aren't the blunderbuss modal useless except for streetfighters now? It's more a debuff than bonus...

Also gives your 3 (or 2) strength casters a way to do damage once all their spells (or scrolls, or spell-binding uses, or grenades) are gone.

Berserk + Phantom Foes should also work with Streetfighter (without the perception malus) though I haven't tested that yet. (And berserk lets your carnage and jump spells hit charmed/dominated enemies, who can't be targeted by regular weapon attacks or hostile spells.)

Another nice thing about Powder Burns is that a regular blunderbuss attack follows immediately after with no reloading (though with 3 strength that might not be helpful except with something like Combusting Wounds).

Edited by SaruNi

And berserk lets your carnage and jump spells hit charmed/dominated enemies, who can't be targeted by regular weapon attacks or hostile spells.

? Sure you can target allies with regular weapon attacks and also hostile spells.

And berserk lets your carnage and jump spells hit charmed/dominated enemies, who can't be targeted by regular weapon attacks or hostile spells.

? Sure you can target allies with regular weapon attacks and also hostile spells.

Hmm, from testing it just now you can target allies with hostile abilities / spells, but how do you target them with regular weapon attacks? Instead of the weapon cursor you get the "select" cursor... and clicking on the weapon first doesn't help.

So probably an unintended UI issue....

Edited by SaruNi

You click on the sword icon (bottom center - left from the buttons that control game speed) and then on the ally. Exactly like in PoE... :D

I did it like a hundret times during the beta so far.

However: sometimes you can't attack npcs that are in the middle of a conversation (which is new and might be a bug). Try another npc then. Maybe that's what you encountered.

Edited by Boeroer

You click on the sword icon (bottom center - left from the buttons that control game speed) and then on the ally. Exactly like in PoE... :D

I did it like a hundret times during the beta so far.

However: sometimes you can't attack npcs that are in the middle of a conversation (which is new and might be a bug). Try another npc then. Maybe that's what you encountered.

Thanks, that works in combat. Though outside of combat it gives a red circle with a line through it when trying to target party members (and other allies too I'd assume).

You can still attack party members outside of combat using the sword icon or whatever hotkey you've tied to it. This works both when you've selected only a single character and when you selected multiple characters. The switch to the crossed out circle only occurs when you're trying to attack a party member who happens to be one of the people you've selected to perform the attack (such as when you have your entire party selected, for example).

(Edit: And yes, I just dropped into the beta to confirm that right before posting; something about the thought of not being able to kill my companions whenever I want unsettles me, though I wouldn't mind them putting up more of a fight along the way.)

Edited by blotter
  • Like 1