AoE stun Wizard? - that is, Rod of Pale Shades Wizard build?

Would this be viable build? That is, viable as in crit often enough to be a reasonably reliable CC tool?

And if yes, how do I get there in terms of the necessary Abilities/Talents? (I guess maxing Perception and spamming Eldritch Aim in the beginning of every fight is a start, but beyond that?)

Also, relatedly, is Golden Gaze a decent weapon on a Priest - if I am not going to use it on a Wizard?

Critting with Blast is possible (as far as I know it also gets +1 ACC per level?) and thus you can cause stun to an enemy here and there.

But the Golden Gaze is better on a wizard. You will trigger Expose Vuln. pretty soon because of Blast and then its dps with Blast is unbeatable. Two Blasts with every shot, higher base damage and so on. Also more AoE interrupts.

On a priest it's wasted. A priest could use Gyrd better than Golden Gaze because it also profits from the special priest ACC talent - so it doesn't matter which priest, it's not necessary to pick a priest of Wael.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Critting with Blast is possible (as far as I know it also gets +1 ACC per level?) and thus you can cause stun to an enemy here and there.

But the Golden Gaze is better on a wizard. You will trigger Expose Vuln. pretty soon because of Blast and then its dps with Blast is unbeatable. Two Blasts with every shot, higher base damage and so on. Also more AoE interrupts.

On a priest it's wasted. A priest could use Gyrd better than Golden Gaze because it also profits from the special priest ACC talent - so it doesn't matter which priest, it's not necessary to pick a priest of Wael.

Maybe I should run two Wizards? I can't believe I am thinking about this! ;)

I am just trying to get more CC in there that is not mind control, as the last aborted playthrough made me leery of mind controlled mobs retaining MY buffs! ;)

So at least I am sure I will use the Gyrd on the Priest now, because I now want to limit random Dominate procs.

A no fail solid back line that has been a great contributor to me in multiple Frozen Crowns is : Buff Priest, ranged CC/DPS Kalkoths Blights Wizard and Storm Druid. Wether that's the tank version, cat DPS or pure caster.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

A no fail solid back line that has been a great contributor to me in multiple Frozen Crowns is : Buff Priest, ranged CC/DPS Kalkoths Blights Wizard and Storm Druid. Wether that's the tank version, cat DPS or pure caster.

Yes you can run 2 wizards. Wizard is a terrific class and one of my favorites.

Yes, I will likely try a ranged Fighter for the 3rd ranged spot, and if he fails, I'd have to consider adding a 3rd caster (in addition to the Priest and the Wizard). I have not liked either ranged Rogue or Ranger when I tried them, but I still want a ranged auto-attacker (so I don't over-micro), so trying ranged Fighter first likely.

I think that between wood elf racial+ max per + max dex+ daom, merciless gaze, cizal martial power + durganized rod and some kind of cc/lower enemies defences could be a viable build or even a strong one.

The point is that the wizard can be built in so many ways and ever be strong

• Like 1

I think that between wood elf racial+ max per + max dex+ daom, merciless gaze, cizal martial power + durganized rod and some kind of cc/lower enemies defences could be a viable build or even a strong one.

The point is that the wizard can be built in so many ways and ever be strong

Ah, I even forgot about Merciless Gaze! I think I am going to try both Pale Shades and Golden Gaze and not decide on which weapon to Durganize until I test both thoroughly to my satisfaction.

Yes, I will likely try a ranged Fighter for the 3rd ranged spot, and if he fails, I'd have to consider adding a 3rd caster (in addition to the Priest and the Wizard). I have not liked either ranged Rogue or Ranger when I tried them, but I still want a ranged auto-attacker (so I don't over-micro), so trying ranged Fighter first likely.

Sorry about the ranger. But what about ranged Chanter. That is probably the least micro you can get. And you can still give them Stormcaller a great ranged auto attack weapons. And  Boeroer seems to argue fighters are not great ranged. 

Edited by draego
  • Like 2

As Boer said Ranged Fighter is pretty crappy.  The least micro ranged guy that can be good is a Chanter.  And hes got that chant that speeds up firing and reloading.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

Sorry about the ranger. But what about ranged Chanter. That is probably the least micro you can get. And you can still give them Stormcaller a great ranged auto attack weapons. And  Boeroer seems to argue fighters are not great ranged. 

I tested the ranged Chanter, and I did not like him either. The issue was that a ranged Chanter sits so far back that he couldn't utilize Dragon Thrashed much. And the same issue existed for other Phrases and Invocations as well. And frankly, if I am not bringing a Chanter for Dragon Thrashed, I am not bringing him at all.

I know Boerer and other veterans think a ranged Fighter is a poor choice, but it also depends on what you are looking for in a class slot. I am not looking for max DPS archer - and I am not even looking for a ranged Fighter build that comes close to a ranged Rogue or Ranger DPS. I just want him to do enough to be not a totally useless damage-wise; and he will be almost micro-free. And he will also provide something that a ranged Rogue cannot provide: Some aggro transference via Into the Fray so I can take the heat off the truly fragile back-liners. Finally, I do think that Boerer and others may under-estimate how much functional DPS a Fighter can do in practice.

As Boer said Ranged Fighter is pretty crappy.  The least micro ranged guy that can be good is a Chanter.  And hes got that chant that speeds up firing and reloading.

I tested a ranged Chanter, per my reply to Draego, and it was not up to par. I couldn't really use Dragon Thrashed - and a lot of Phrases and Invocations - and the Chanter doesn't really have much to boost damage either beside the speed buff.

If you play with w party and want a ranged chanter you should try Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr. It add a 25% fire lash on everything ( spells included). In the end it adds to party dmg more or less as much to dragon trashed, and can be used also from the rear ( you just need to be in range of your allies, not enemies). Or you can chain lvl 1 defensive chants and spam killer froze still or ogres. A lot of choices.

• Like 3

If you play with w party and want a ranged chanter you should try Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr. It add a 25% fire lash on everything ( spells included). In the end it adds to party dmg more or less as much to dragon trashed, and can be used also from the rear ( you just need to be in range of your allies, not enemies). Or you can chain lvl 1 defensive chants and spam killer froze still or ogres. A lot of choices.

I recall someone did calculation and said that Dragon Thrashed should add more overall DPS for you than Aefyllath. But I am not a math guy, and my memory is hazy, too.

Also, the above set-up requires that you use Scion of Flame - or at least fire lash - on every character, and I like to diversify a bit.

Mith Fyr is at least good for opening, where it is unlikely to get all the enemies affected by Dragon Thrashed. Good for Ciphers as that means more focus generation... but yeah I know how you feel about them Ciphers.

Not necessary to get Scion of Flame on everyone, thats overkill. But the thing is Dragon Thrash offers 2 dmg type, so if fire immune enemies come along, one will still preferably switch to pure Dragon Thrashed. If you cant stand to micro, then Dragon Thrashed all the way is fine.

• Like 1

Mith Fyr is at least good for opening, where it is unlikely to get all the enemies affected by Dragon Thrashed. Good for Ciphers as that means more focus generation... but yeah I know how you feel about them Ciphers.

Not necessary to get Scion of Flame on everyone, thats overkill. But the thing is Dragon Thrash offers 2 dmg type, so if fire immune enemies come along, one will still preferably switch to pure Dragon Thrashed. If you cant stand to micro, then Dragon Thrashed all the way is fine.

I think at level 16, you can ran both if I recall. I believe that's how I ran the last dual Chanter group, but I will have to check again once I hit level 16.

You can but Dragon Thrashed can also stack with itself. Mith Fyr can't. So its either pure Dragon Thrashed, or Dragon Thrashed and Mith Fyr alternate.

Really? I didn't realize Dragon Thrashed can stack with itself - when chanted by one Chanter only. I thought only Dragon Thrashed from multiple Chanters stacked. I have no idea why I thought this. Still, I like a more balanced approach so I will likely continue to alternate Phrases.

I am simply terrified of being mind controlled - so I always have that Will and Fortitude Phrase up all the time ;)

Aaaand it doesn't help)

As for Dragon Trashed - it's better not mix it with Aefyllath.

Either you have high MIG and somewhat decent accuracy, and go all in with DT. Or you are a low-mig chanter who buffs his other party members' damage output (and occasionally summons or cc'es).

Its easy to avoid my friend.  Only a few mobs that are a serious threat have it.  Vithrack,Kith type Ciphers and Adragans.  So When you fight these if you have a priest use Prayer against Treachery or its corresponding scroll.  You will have it by the time these enemies come around.  Also your Paladin whether he has Righteous Soul or not will be highly resistant to it.  Stealth everyone but him and he will eat the first mind control.  Pop Everyone else out and burn that enemy.  Or if you have Liberating Exhortation pop one of your characters that isnt the chanter out of stealth let him/her eat the mind control and place the Exhortation on them.  A Goldpact Knights Bond of Duty is actually really good with this of course.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.