The most Fearsome, the most Terrible Monster of all Time!

Ooooh this is a cool thread. For me, the Rat King  (I ain't talking' bout the cutesy Rat King in the Nutcracker Ballet) scares the hell out me. *shudders* Egh! I nearly gagged having to look that up. Apparently they were a real thing during Black Plague ravaged Europe. Hygiene was so bad back in that time when the streets were filled with rotting bodies, fecal matter, trash, and sludge multiple rats would get tangled and stuck together at the tails. So basically Europe was dealing with chaotic and skittering hive mind entities long before Lovecraft was born *shudders again* I haven't seen one in a video game yet (thank goodness) but this one's on the house Obsidian.

Another great "monster" is a demon from South America. I can't remember the name or the country of origin, but basically this demon looks like an innocent human child around 8-10 years old and has human mouths in the middle of it's palms which they cover up with clay. The demon preys on lost wanderers and poses and a child claiming they can lead them back to a road or town. Once the demon takes the persons' hand (like a child would to a parent/adult), the mouths on the hands start chompin'. The only way to identify them from actual benevolent child is that the demon casts no shadow and when walking they don't crunch the leaves beneath their feet. That always spooked me as a kid.

Edited by EbonyBetty

Ooooh this is a cool thread. For me, the Rat King  (I ain't talking' bout the cutesy Rat King in the Nutcracker Ballet) scares the hell out me. *shudders* Egh! I nearly gagged having to look that up. Apparently they were a real thing during Black Plague ravaged Europe. Hygiene was so bad back in that time that the streets were filled with rotting bodies, fecal matter, trash, and sludge that multiple rats would get tangled and stuck together at the tails. So basically Europe was dealing with chaotic and skittering hive mind entities long before Lovecraft was born *shudders again* I haven't seen one in a video game yet (thank goodness) but this one's on the house Obsidian.

Another great "monster" is a demon from South America. I can't remember the name or the country of origin, but basically this demon looks like an innocent human child around 8-10 years old and has human mouths in the middle of it's palms which they cover up with clay. The demon preys on lost wanderers and poses and a child claiming they can lead them back to a road or town. Once the demon takes the persons' hand (like a child would to a parent/adult), the mouths on the hands start chompin'. The only way to identify them from actual benevolent child is that the demon casts no shadow and when walking they don't crunch the leaves beneath their feet. That always spooked me as a kid.

Shadowrun Hong Kong is your game. (Sinking Ship side quest)

• Like 2

Ooooh this is a cool thread. For me, the Rat King  (I ain't talking' bout the cutesy Rat King in the Nutcracker Ballet) scares the hell out me. *shudders* Egh! I nearly gagged having to look that up. Apparently they were a real thing during Black Plague ravaged Europe. Hygiene was so bad back in that time that the streets were filled with rotting bodies, fecal matter, trash, and sludge that multiple rats would get tangled and stuck together at the tails. So basically Europe was dealing with chaotic and skittering hive mind entities long before Lovecraft was born *shudders again* I haven't seen one in a video game yet (thank goodness) but this one's on the house Obsidian.

Shadowrun Hong Kong is your game. (Sinking Ship side quest)

Cool! I haven't played that Shadowrun yet. But which creature are you referring to? The Rat King or the South American demon child?

Huh... I don't recall encountering it? Or am I missing on a joke?

Its an oooollld joke. I didn't expect many people to get it. Its not anywhere in ToB. ​Or is it...

But the Tarrasque​ is an actual D&D monster that in early editions could only be killed by extraordinary means, and then a Wish spell, and in current editions it cant even be killed. 

6'8" Italian Warlord Lives!

Fist Bump to all the old BISers. BISites? BISsies?  Hmmm, guess I should stick with Black Isle Studio forum members, considering.

IIRC isn't it the case now that you can only send the Terrasque into hibernation (thus counting as a win for the home team)? 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

From my old pnp D&d days,

The nastiest basterds I who's stats I came across where probably the demon lords Grazzt and Pazzreal.

From memory, I saw there stats in some kind off compendium from the planes box set

And yeah I just spent the last 10 minutes googling tarrasque throne of ball, not funny

Edited by firkraag888

There was a long term poster on the Black Isle Boards (the above mentioned Italian Warlord) who'd try and trick newbies to Throne of Baal/the forums into believing that if you did certain things you'd unlock a fight in the Oasis with the Terrasque.  It became a running gag that occasionally still shows up amid the old Black Isle forums crowd.

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

There was a long term poster on the Black Isle Boards (the above mentioned Italian Warlord) who'd try and trick newbies to Throne of Baal/the forums into believing that if you did certain things you'd unlock a fight in the Oasis with the Terrasque.  It became a running gag that occasionally still shows up amid the old Black Isle forums crowd.

I mean, it still works. I immediately went, and googled the thing, assuming that there was still a fight in BG I somehow missed. Oh, how excited I was...

• Like 1