The Music Listening thread

Pidesco

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Apropos of nothing, Autotune might be the worst thing to ever happen to humans.  Worse than the Holocaust, worse than Stalin systematically executing millions of his own people, worse than the Bubonic Plague, worse even than reality television...  maybe.  I might have crossed the line on that last one.  :p

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Apropos of nothing, Autotune might be the worst thing to ever happen to humans. Worse than the Holocaust, worse than Stalin systematically executing millions of his own people, worse than the Bubonic Plague, worse even than reality television... maybe. I might have crossed the line on that last one. :p

Autotune doesn't seem so bad if it was being used to make minor corrections...but if they were minor corrections, then clearly your singer is already half-decent and it's probably better to just let the minor issues stay rather than introduce unnatural (and usually quite noticeable) pitch shifts to a performance. So yeah, crappy. I like some forms of vocoding, but autotune and straight up pitch-shifts usually sound pretty bad.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Apropos of nothing, Autotune might be the worst thing to ever happen to humans. Worse than the Holocaust, worse than Stalin systematically executing millions of his own people, worse than the Bubonic Plague, worse even than reality television... maybe. I might have crossed the line on that last one. :p

Auto-tune should never be used in ANY situation. It's dishonest, even if used for the smallest things, to correct the smallest noticable mistake. It represents dishonesty among the musicians/singers community and when one of it looks bad, it makes the rest of us look bad. Unfortunately there will always be others out there who try to make excuses for it "Our artists are sick" or "It's the norm, get used to it" but these are the people who have no experience in either the music business or with fan loyalty in the community.

In short, you're right. Can't go to a concert these days without wondering if they're lip-syncing or using auto-tune.

I consider voice-boxes and modulation as effects, I consider auto-tune as a way to hide and cheat the audience/fans. The thing is that these can be made up up of the same equipment but the intention is totally different, making for a different result altogether.

Voice boxes like the one Peter Framton used was legit for sure, definitely unique and a stamp on 70's.

I never liked Cher, she always really annoyed me. Even moreso as an actress but yeah, terrible voice. Her husband, on the other hand actually had a good voice. The only reason why she got famous was a one hit wonder in which her husband outshined her, then rode on her husband's death to cash-grab in that super-lame emotionless song.

Someone here will probably say otherwise of course ;)

https://youtu.be/-PkdLMIz-Ys?t=1h31m6s

These things make me proud to pay the TV licence.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

^ That is crazy cool.

Never heard of the guy other than that song you posted last. Although very different styles, his approach to music reminds me of Tom Waits. I also wouldn't be surprised if David Bowie took inspiration when writing Blackstar.

• Like 1

^ That is crazy cool.

Never heard of the guy other than that song you posted last. Although very different styles, his approach to music reminds me of Tom Waits. I also wouldn't be surprised if David Bowie took inspiration when writing Blackstar.

It's possible, I know Bowie's been a fan since the early years, so much so that he produced a documentary feature based on Walker called 30 Century Man (and was also interviewed in it - I still haven't seen it though so no idea what he says). His latest albums have been absolutely insane, really dark and amidst the most unique stuff out there. But his baroque pop albums from the 1960s are a beaut too:

Definitely an artist worth exploring! :D

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden