[Help] Companion Builds - Skill Points Distribution

Hi,

I'm totally new to the game. My main is a Cipher. I'm currently using this build. I'm just a little bit overwhelmed with all the skills point distribution for the rest of my crew. I just got to the point where I got Eder and Aloth. I'm planning to use these build videos (Part 1 and Part 2) for my characters since these are the most recent ones I can find. Everything else seems to be from 2015. I do have White March Part 1 & 2. The videos are just missing skill point distribution. From what I understand so far that Lore isn't required for the companions because they don't need the dialogue options. 

I plan to use Eder as primary tank, Maneha as offtank, Durance and Zahua as midrange, and Aloth and Cipher PC as back-rank. Like the guide Cipher guide has recommended, but just don't know how to distribute their points. Can I please get some assistance in figuring out how to distribute the skill points for these companions? Also if you have suggestions on alternate companions than the ones that are suggested that would be great as well. Thanks!

Similar to what has been said at Steam, those nerd commando videos are overrated. Retraining a level 16 character with access to (almost?) all good equipment in this game and then only doing a few fights - if at all - is a joke. Good builds also cover the long path from level 1 upwards. You want to be a helpful companion and not only be dragged along by others in your party till you get some special items or talents at high levels.

What else? You spoil most of the fun of playing Pillars of Eternity, if you try to copy from guides. No special builds are necessary to finish the game. You can play it and learn talents you like and still be successful. In case of doubt, it's possible to retrain also the NPC companions at every inn keeper's interface for a bit of gold. Btw, Zahua is very well capable of surviving as a frontliner and doing tons of damage.

^ I completely agree.

Lore is needed for casting scrolls. So, if you want your Edér to be able to cast a Fireball every now and then or to use a Prayer against Fear, he'll need a bit of lore.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Skills are straightforward. Everyone needs a few survival and athletics (4 is my personal magic number, though 2-3 can work depending on a lot of factors).

You'll need someone who devotes most of the rest of their skill points in mechanics, and possibly someone else who does the same for stealth. Characters who spend most of their time swinging their weapons and dealing damage (like rangers) may also devote the rest of their points in survival.

The rest can devote their points into lore for scrolls and athletics for the bonus heal. For lore 4 is a good stopping point for defensive scrolls, though you can push to 8 if you have extra points.

Edited by scythesong

With athletics it's debateable: I personally would never put points into athletics when I can put them into survival.

It's because Second Wind is a slow cast, it has a long recovery phase, it heals for a small amount of endurance only and doesn't scale with level. It's ok at the beginning of the game, but falls off quickly. There is a use though: if you have a character with very low INT, a lot of MIG and no other self healing capabilities (and you are really annoyed by potions or don't want to use consumables) then it can be good to use athletics. I just don't get why OBS decided for linear progression.

If you don't plan to use a scroll with a character (or don't want to use scrolls at all) you can complety skip lore. If you want to use scrolls, scythesong's absolutely right.

Stealth can be good for Backstab-Rogues or scouts or characters who want to steal stuff unseen - even characters with good (ranged) opening strikes can profit from it because out-of-combat per-encounter abilites/spells (like Flames of Devotion) will be reset to their uses if you manage to fire and hit before you get detected and combat starts. For all others it's completely useless.

Mechanics, as scythesong said, is all or nothing. 10 is ok for most cases, but 12+ is more convenient in the high-level areas, because there will be some traps and chests that need it.

Edited by Boeroer

I like to start with 1 point in athletics as 25 heal when you have 25-50 hp is nice. After that either leave it at 1 or suddenly increase it up to 4-5 after level 6 in order to pass a few checks without injuries; or save the points and rest instead. It can be ok with healing modifier from survival/chanter through.

As for final skill distribution I would quite recommend:

cipher: 10 surv, 6-8 lore, 1-5 athletics, rest in lore

aloth: 1 athletics, 4 surv, max mechanics

eder: 8 or 14 surv, 3-5 athletics, rest in lore

maneha: 10 or 14 surv, 3-5 athletics, rest in lore

zahua: same as maneha

durance: 4 or 10 surv, 1-3 athletics, rest in lore

P.S. No wonder I have 5 colonists and a scientist in party...

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 2

Another thing about Second Wind/athletics:

If you have a Fire Godlike then don't use Second Wind (or the watcher abilities) when you are under 50% endurance! You will hit yourself with Battle Forged. At higher levels this is suicide. It's obviously a bug.

I like to start with 1 point in athletics as 25 heal when you have 25-50 hp is nice. After that either leave it at 1 or suddenly increase it up to 4-5 after level 6 in order to pass a few checks without injuries; or save the points and rest instead. It can be ok with healing modifier from survival/chanter through.

As for final skill distribution I would quite recommend:

cipher: 10 surv, 6-8 lore, 1-5 athletics, rest in lore

aloth: 1 athletics, 4 surv, max mechanics

eder: 8 or 14 surv, 3-5 athletics, rest in lore

maneha: 10 or 14 surv, 3-5 athletics, rest in lore

zahua: same as maneha

durance: 4 or 10 surv, 1-3 athletics, rest in lore

P.S. No wonder I have 5 colonists and a scientist in party...

Thank you. I will follow this. I just needed a guiding hand with my first run through. It's just a little intimidating diving into a new franchise. I just like playing casually too after a long day at work and just dive into a game that's mainly the reason why I follow build guides. I know I'm going to play this a couple times. I love the Dragon Age series.... (Well 2 was alright.). I'm pretty sure I'll love this, too.

Reason why I picked Cipher is it's what most people recommend in various forums suggest to pick. I just like backline characters. They seem to have all the fun. :)