Weird damage reduction behaviour from enchanted armor/cloak

Hi everyone,

I encountered a very strange thing. For example I have Wayfarers hide armor, which gives me 14 pierce, 14 freeze and 6 corrode DR. When I enchant it with slash proofing, which is suppose to give me 3 slash DR, I gain 14 slash DR instead. To make this even more crazy, when I put the Hiros Mantle on, it gives me additional 14 crush DR (instead of 3) according to its description.

Similar thing with my Argwes Adra armor. It gives 20 slash, 20 pierce and 8 shock. When I enchant it with crush proof it gives me 19 crush DR instead of 3. Then I put on Cloak of Comfort, which is suppose to give me 3 slash, 3 pierce and 3 crush DR, however it only raises slash and pierce DR (by 3 points, like in the description). If I dont enchant the Argwes Adra with crush proof I have 0 DR against crush overall, but when I put on the Cloak of Comfort it instantly raises the crash DR to 19 (instead of 3 like in the description).

Similar with other armors. It seems to be multiplicative, but it doesnt make sense to me, I cant figure out how is it calculated, but do I understand it correctly that its just always better to go for the proofing which is absent in the armor, as for example when I enchant Argwes Adra with crush, I gain 19 crush DR (from 0-19) and when I enchant it with slash, it gives me 4 (for some unknown reason), so thats only from 20-24. The final calculated bonuses from cloaks make no sense either to me.

Can anyone shed some light into this please?

Thanks in advance

It use the wiki site, it lists all damage types even when they are the same as base DR - this is different from in game.

Armor only displays the base DR and any DR that is different from base. 

So Wayfarer's displays  11 base, 14 pierce, 14 freeze, and 6 corrode. 

When you enchant with crush proof it adds 3 + 11 base =  now displays 14 crush (crush was = 11 base prior to enchant).

• Like 1

It use the wiki site, it lists all damage types even when they are the same as base DR - this is different from in game.

When you enchant with crush proof it adds 3 + 11 base =  now displays 14 crush (crush was = 11 base prior to enchant).

So do I understand it correctly that Wayfarers hide for example has 11 crush and 11 slash proof (that is the original value which isnt displayed cos its identical to base DR of 11)?

Edited by Aerinqq

So do I understand it correctly that Wayfarers hide for example has 11 crush and 11 slash proof (that is the original value which value isnt displayed)?

Exactly. You've got it.

MasterCipher, on 30 May 2017 - 4:00 PM, said:snapback.png

So do I understand it correctly that Wayfarers hide for example has 11 crush and 11 slash proof (that is the original value which value isnt displayed)?

Yeah. Like plate: it has 12 base DR in general against everything - but slash and pierce are higher and shock is lower.

And watch out: the bonuses/malus are percentage based (like a plate with 12 DR has -50% shock DR: means 6). Those percentage based bonus/malus also applies to your own proofing enchantments that you put onto your armor.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

plate: it has 12 base DR in general against everything - but slash and pierce are higher and shock is lower.

Tbh plate is such a great armor type...

Not only it gives extra 2DR over the curve (i.e. base 12 instead of 10 like brigantine has), but also provides an extra bonus to 2 out of 3 damage types where DR is most effective. (these 3 in my opinion are: slash, pierce, freeze}.

Xaurips, vithracks, spiders, beetles come in large groups, and their low auto-attack damage is greatly reduced by the DR. Similar thing with shades' freeze damage.

While enemies that deal crush, corrode or fire damage usually inflict it in big chunks, and a still sensible amount goes through reduction. Also these are not usually that numerous, so they can be just hard-cc'ed.

P.S. If only Durance' robe have provided freeze or pierce DR instead of fire... imho it would be one of the best armors in the game.

• Like 1