A serious discussion towards Ydwin and animancy

Actually: Watchers are also interesting topic, not that good as living god, but enought for some short publication. Not always you can catch live speciment. So she may be interested in study the Watcher, most of the time its PC who knocks and ask stupid questions about npc background. But if OE needs character to ask Watcher about his past and feelings... eager lisener ready to make some notes.

• Like 3

Actually: Watchers are also interesting topic, not that good as living god, but enought for some short publication. Not always you can catch live speciment. So she may be interested in study the Watcher, most of the time its PC who knocks and ask stupid questions about npc background. But if OE needs character to ask Watcher about his past and feelings... eager lisener ready to make some notes.

I really like this idea. Ydwin trying to study you on your journey together.

• Like 2

I really like this idea. Ydwin trying to study you on your journey together.

That makes sense. And besides, most companions in PoE basically join you because you're a watcher. It's the only thing that all player's characters have in common.

I wonder what kind of personality she'll have? Eccentric scholar/absent minded professor is the first thing that comes to mind but given her background, perhaps a slightly cruel edge?

Well, as long as she doesnt go down the Liara route, I would be completely down for this

• Like 4

We need to send your idea to Josh and Carrie.

Edited by molotov.

Well, as long as she doesnt go down the Liara route, I would be completely down for this

Liara was a bit to dedicated with Shepard for her own good. For unconditional love we have Eder so Ydwin could be intrigued but more critic. Judging some very nasty deeds: "So you sacrifized that village for shinny talking sword, well, that is a hero for our times".

She may be to short fuse, and willing to investigate or get involved.

The concept of laws never got to her.

She values her future fame and recognition as scholar too much.

She get mad if "used" (academy was using her not really giving a chance)

Value singular happiness as high as wellness of humankind.

More about proving something about herself than great things. But still curious.

Edited by evilcat

Given what we know about Ydwin, I don't expect her to be that critical of some of the watcher's grayer actions.

The impression I get though is that she is somewhat single-minded. At least in her professional pursuits. Seems like she wants to operate as an independent animancer. She has to stealth around because she doesn't have the conventional means to operate. Maybe she is not all that eccentric as a personality, but she is estranged relative to the cultures she finds herself surrounded by. Always subverting the status quo.

Maybe less critical of others, but highly academically argumentative when challenged on her own pursuits.

There could be some smart way of connecting her childhood with time in Republics and today. Possibly without tragic backstory .

Like she grown up in wild outpost, so she is not that academic as she want to, there iis always something she missed about urban or culture, and makes some faux pas "why it need to be sooo formal". Which is really annoying for aspiring scholar. maybe that is reason for love for fancy outfit. (companions who loves each unique named equipment lol) To represent herself as "I am not a Wildthing".

Another thing to dislike: Folks who got overthemselves just for being well born. Probably could tell some hars words to noble orgin Watcher.

Training to connect Great White Outcast with Valian Animancer

• Like 1

So she basically became nouveau riche when pursing an academic life, so she isn't so much eccentric but a walking faux pas. The friction basically caused her to turn away from a formal career, and now the watchers provides are bountiful opertunity for her to still make it big as an animancer outside of the typical channels. I like it.

The "riche" part could be overstatment.

Make companions human/elven, ang give perks very non fantasy.

There is only that many times you can hear "You need 3 generation of wizardy to understand magic arcanum" before getting pissed off.

The good part is that with 20 level cap she may reach the point where she outleveled some profesors.

good that this happy brainstorming has something to like.

One more idea: Watcher powers could help Ydwin to improve her animancy if we soul vision her past lives of some other animancers, share with herr our visions. Each time we do so she we learn something. However some of them will cost us something, and other are a bit dark side (swallow the soul of the living one) which can turn Ydwin to just power hungry Animancer like we slayed in Dyrwood. Balance.

Edited by evilcat

Manic pixie is the one way to commit character assassination on Ydwin.

dunno.  inexplicably clumsy, comic bad at cooking and your younger sister from a past life?  got glasses-girl scientist already, so the anime clichés is gonna spontaneous develop like cancer if you let 'em.

there is innumerable options to do poorly.  is easy to do bad.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Manic pixie is the one way to commit character assassination on Ydwin.

dunno.  inexplicably clumsy, comic bad at cooking and your younger sister from a past life?  got glasses-girl scientist already, so the anime clichés is gonna spontaneous develop like cancer if you let 'em.

there is innumerable options to do poorly.  is easy to do bad.  

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, didn't mean that so literally. But those glasses do have me a bit worried as to the tropes that lie ahead. Back anime back, away from my western rpg!

Gromnir watches anime? I never would have guessed! Ha! Good fun!

Never fear chaps, the writers are American, yes? I don't think we'll have any painful anime tropes in PoE. I think it takes a native Japanese person to write that "bad at cooking" sh**t with a straight face.

But at the end of the day, we're mostly nerds here, and many nerds have a soft spot for cute megane-ko. Can't blame the artists for throwing that in. It seems to have secured instant popularity for the character.

• Like 1

Gromnir watches anime? I never would have guessed! Ha! Good fun!

we do not.  have friends who invariably recommend new anime to us every couple years in an attempt to change our pov.  being a broad minded fellow, we do indeed watch a couple episodes o' whatever is the proffered show/movie dujour before once 'gain concluding that anime is a perpetual pus filled boil affixed to the devil's hairy arse. 

apologies for our understatement.

is exceptions such as grave of the fireflies, spirited away and a few episodes of cowboy bebop. is so few exceptions.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've actually worked in the manga industry before, but I can respect that opinion. There are some brilliant ideas but also a lot of old, useless tropes that people don't want to let go off.

Anyways, I don't think Ydwin is going in that direction.

Aloth had a huge potential to be a full anime character... A cute, skinny passive elf who hates to get into fights that has an alter ego that love fights and getting into trouble! And he didn't go towards that... far from it.

I've actually worked in the manga industry before, but I can respect that opinion. There are some brilliant ideas but also a lot of old, useless tropes that people don't want to let go off.

too much emphasis on wacky plot and setting while recycling characters and themes.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64528-anime-for-adults-or-kids/?p=1381947

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/47994-anime-recommendations-part-2/?p=834605

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/44779-anime-recommendations/?p=744096

am nothing if not consistent.

so far all we got o' ydwin is a short character sketch and one bit o' artwork.  we find the art troubling on multiple levels, as already discussed, but such doesn't define a character.  somebody at obsidian is a big fan o' gaiman's sandman and anime? am not shocked. however, one paragraph o' background is too small a sampling for us to be complete dismissive.  the setting needs more in depth scrutiny o' animancy, and a companion would be an ideal starting point from which to delve.  we wanna like an animancer companion, but so far we don't have much positive other than animancy.

even so, we agree with assessment regarding the remote possibility o' obsidian surrendering to clichés and tropes in spite o' a dubious start with the art and biographical blurb.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Aloth had a huge potential to be a full anime character... A cute, skinny passive elf who hates to get into fights that has an alter ego that love fights and getting into trouble! And he didn't go towards that... far from it.

Thankfully.

• Like 1