Closing locations in 4-3 and 5-4

Strategy Builder

Question

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure if you are asking if locations stay closed for a whole turn or whether the scenario have you temp close locations when it doesn't matter.

Temporarily closed locations are closed just for that encounter.

Mummy's Mask Rulebook p17

Temporarily closing a location only prevents the villain from escaping there during this encounter; it does not trigger any of the other effects of closing a location, and the location opens again immediately after the encounter.

Part of encountering a villain is temporarily closing locations, whether the villain can escape or not. I think in 4.4 (Under Jorgenfist) the temp closing will matter for cases when the villain is not defeated.

For 5.4, you are basically having to corner and defeat all 3 villains. In the physical game, you put each villain up by the scenario card when they are defeated and can't escape. You win once there are 3 up there.

I'm not sure if you are asking if locations stay closed for a whole turn or whether the scenario have you temp close locations when it doesn't matter.

Temporarily closed locations are closed just for that encounter.

Mummy's Mask Rulebook p17

Temporarily closing a location only prevents the villain from escaping there during this encounter; it does not trigger any of the other effects of closing a location, and the location opens again immediately after the encounter.

For 5.4, you are basically having to corner and defeat all 3 villains. In the physical game, you put each villain up by the scenario card when they are defeated and can't escape. You win once there are 3 up there.

I believe the 5.4 question is aimed at Ordikon which states "on a 1 or 2, Ordikon is undefeated, and you immediately encounter him again.". From the wording, it's obvious you have two separate encounters and -per the quote Hawkmoon provided- you're allowed- and *must*- go through Temp Close before each separate encounter.

As for 4.4 - when you corner (potentially by Temp Closes) and defeat the second Lamia - you then immediately summon and ENCOUNTER the first Lamia for a second time. By the same token as above - this encounter warrants its own round of Temp Closing (so you may corner&defeat Lamia 2, but then Lamia 1 can escape if you didn't Temp CLose a location).

Edited by Longshot11

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

The tutorial says "when you encounter a villain, your characters may attempt to close locations." It then goes on to explain the normal consequences of defeating a villain. Once you start monkeying around with the basic principles of what a villain is (One per scenario? Three?), defeating it (erm no, in this given scenario you defeat it twice using the poison trait and hold your mouth kinda like this while tapping your heels together), etc., then it's reasonable that people will have questions.

I am glad we have a forum to discuss them. Not all of us have a tabletop group and discuss the rules on a regular basis. Thanks for the helpful links. The snark is childish. Kind regards.