Feature request about dice rolls

NightmareCC

Question

Hi,

I don´t know if this has been asked before but could you please implement a feature to skip unnecessary dice rolls?

Like when I need to roll a 6 with +4 and 2d6. It is guaranteed to succeed at this check so I don't need the rolling animation.

A button to automatically succeed the check or something else would be really great.

11 answers to this question

Yes, it has been requested several times. But what's the difference between hitting a button to auto-succeed and the gesture to roll the dice? I see no benefit. You couldn't have an auto-succeed feature that didn't have a button becuase there are occasions where you would want to fail the check (typically by changing the skill to a D4 skill)

• Like 1

Yep, there have to be buttons to auto fail, auto succes and roll. And auto succes is the least meaningfull because it is allmost the same as rolling the dice. It takes the same amounth of time.

It would be fine feature, but it does not reduce the time of pushing buttons because player have to have the choice to lose if he want to do it.

what's the difference between hitting a button to auto-succeed and the gesture to roll the dice?

Well, if the game were to skip the dice rolling animation (including displaying the result and additional effects, like the "die result promotion" on weapons like the scythes) and proceed directly to resolving the results of the check upon pressing the "auto-success button", that would make such checks slightly faster.

That said, there are some checks that would have to be exempt from being auto-resolved even if you have plenty of die and bonuses due to secondary effects that are not related to the total sum, but to rolls of the individual dice - the mention of the scythe reminded me of that. I'm thinking of the Dogslicer, in particular, due to having do discard it if any d6 rolled on the check result in 1.

• Like 1

Yes, it has been requested several times. But what's the difference between hitting a button to auto-succeed and the gesture to roll the dice? I see no benefit. You couldn't have an auto-succeed feature that didn't have a button becuase there are occasions where you would want to fail the check (typically by changing the skill to a D4 skill)

You see no benefit probably because your version always recognizes the dice-rolling gesture... When I play, it's not uncommon that I have to repeat the gesture one or more times - and an 'auto-succeed' button would be helpful from time to time. And there is also the time waiting for the dice to stop and the result to be shown.

But I know there are some exceptions where the difference of the check matters, for example (like Rat Swarm), and this means this feature could become a nightmare for the dev team. So I see why it might never be implemented, after all...

Cheers!

Mauricio

• Like 1

You see no benefit probably because your version always recognizes the dice-rolling gesture... When I play, it's not uncommon that I have to repeat the gesture one or more times - and an 'auto-succeed' button would be helpful from time to time. And there is also the time waiting for the dice to stop and the result to be shown.

But I know there are some exceptions where the difference of the check matters, for example (like Rat Swarm), and this means this feature could become a nightmare for the dev team. So I see why it might never be implemented, after all...

Cheers!

Mauricio

LOL! You make an excellent point! My Android device (sadly now defunct) was terrible at touch gestures for PACG. Absolutely terrible. I used to get friction burns trying to roll the frickin' dice. Even now on a PC/Emulator the dice occasionally refuse to roll until the second or third attempt.
  • Like 1

LOL! You make an excellent point! My Android device (sadly now defunct) was terrible at touch gestures for PACG. Absolutely terrible. I used to get friction burns trying to roll the frickin' dice. Even now on a PC/Emulator the dice occasionally refuse to roll until the second or third attempt.

I'd also love to see a "Roll" button as an alternative to the swipe gesture.  Even on a theoretically "top-of the-line" iPad Pro, I get a little annoyed when it takes a few swipes to do a check.

And then there's the flip-side..., where the gesture recognizer is unexpectedly hyper-sensitive and you roll a check without weapons or blessings or anything because your finger strayed barely north of the character's hand...  [insert sad "failed check" noise here]

• Like 2

I think the point of this suggestion is to speed up the process of playing the game. While dice rolling animations are cute, they are time-consuming and get old quickly. Saving the few seconds that dice-rolling takes would add up very quickly, and would lead to a better gaming experience, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I think the point of this suggestion is to speed up the process of playing the game. While dice rolling animations are cute, they are time-consuming and get old quickly. Saving the few seconds that dice-rolling takes would add up very quickly, and would lead to a better gaming experience, in my opinion.

Yeah exactly this.

I get pretty tired of the animations after a few games. 

They slow down the game play. And when you don't have that much time to play its a point!

Skipping the dice rolling animations completely via an option could be great too.

• Like 1

I'd also love to see a "Roll" button as an alternative to the swipe gesture.  Even on a theoretically "top-of the-line" iPad Pro, I get a little annoyed when it takes a few swipes to do a check.

And then there's the flip-side..., where the gesture recognizer is unexpectedly hyper-sensitive and you roll a check without weapons or blessings or anything because your finger strayed barely north of the character's hand...  [insert sad "failed check" noise here]

LOL! Yeah, had that happen too. I think that you're right and that a "Roll" button would be useful. They might have to implement one when they do the PC/Steam implementation, so it could be an optional UI feature for all versions. Dice animations could be similarly configurable.

More options to craphics and animations in all devices would be nice to have. My iPad have power to run reasonable well, but I don't want to try this with my abysmall slow phone... so all posibilities to togle on off different things in this app would be usefull ofcourse They all Also can cause new bugs and new combinations that can go wrong, but still it would allow wider range of devices and Also different amounth of energy drain so definitely a feature that would be usefull.

The down side to getting rid of the dice animation would be losing the immediate visual percentage representation.

You can always do numbers (1 to 6 possible) instead of showing the die then just show the result. That would be tricky when it comes to adding to the check.

The other.option, which I think would be only slightly better, would be to show it in terms of %. For example, the check is three, you roll a d6 with no pluses, it shows a 50% success.

Then you add another d6 and it goes to 95% success.

In essence, that is what the programming is already doing. The die.are just a quick visual representation of %