Taking it to the hole. Hoops 2K17 Thread.

Leferd

My flaming red hot take:

LOL @KD for opting out of his contract with the champs one year early to become an unrestricted free agent and to re-sign back with the Warriors for $9.5 million less than his max and taking a paycut from last year.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/03/warriors-kevin-durant-is-taking-even-less-money-than-we-all-thought/

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I mean, I'm sure KD has plenty of money as is, not to mention he probably makes a few wooden nickles from endorsements.  Dude just wants to win more championships and if the Dubs keep their core intact (this helps tremendously) and the injury bug doesn't bite them at the wrong time then they have a very realistic chance of winning not just next year but possibly 2 or 3 more in a row.  You win 3 or 4 titles in a row and you're pretty much part of NBA history forever.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I mean, I'm sure KD has plenty of money as is, not to mention he probably makes a few wooden nickles from endorsements.  Dude just wants to win more championships and if the Dubs keep their core intact (this helps tremendously) and the injury bug doesn't bite them at the wrong time then they have a very realistic chance of winning not just next year but possibly 2 or 3 more in a row.  You win 3 or 4 titles in a row and you're pretty much part of NBA history forever.

I don't disagree at all. But why is it that the players are the ones that have to sacrifice when the league -- and the Warriors in particular are rolling in $$. This ownership group essentially had their team's value explode by greater than 500% in the seven years since they've bought the team for a record $450 million.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

All this does is make a mockery oif the salary cap. The  salary cap is meant and designed to stop 'super teams' by insuring t4eams can['t hoard a  bunch of super palyers. Imagine a team where Du7rant, Curry, Lebron, Kyrie,, Harden, and another 5 'superstars' all agreed to take less money to play together? That would be HILARIOUS.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It would probably bother me more if it was an exodus of superstars going one place to just dominate, but that isn't what happened with the Warriors. They drafted well, added a couple key pieces that weren't in huge demand, and put a great system in place. Durant is the only superstar they attracted, I don't think they are going to pickup Harden or Lebron anytime soon. 

Also Ego tends to keep these things from getting too crazy. I predict GSW is going to start having trouble with the dynamic in the next year or two. Will Green keep getting along with everyone? Will Thompson mind being in the shadows? Coaching concerns? Who knows?

It'll be interesting to see if the Cavs can hold on in the East.

Boston now has: Isaiah Thomas, Gordon Hayward, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, and Al Horford, with Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Kelly Olynyk, Amir Johnson, and potentially Ante Zizic rounding out the rotation. That's a really good team with solid depth.

Edited by Leferd

BOS has all that.

CLE has Lebron James.

Game over.

CLE wins.

Only two teams can beat the Lebrons. That is GS and SA.

Why? Because at least in GS's case their shooting is and offense is NASTY. And, iN SA's case.... well.. their history shows why.

BOS needs to prove themselves. Until they do, theya re pretenders.

P.S. And, we saw how useless Isiah was versus CLE as well. BOS was  better off when he was injured.

Edited by Volourn

WTF? I mean seriously WTF? Zach Randolph is leaving the Grizzlies. He took a 2 year $24M deal with the Kings. No big deal, good luck Z-Bo it's been great. That would be appropriate right? Noooooo. Grizz management published a nice open letter, which is great, but they also announced they were retiring his number. WTF? That is supposed to be a big deal. He didn't retire. He didn't die. He went to play for a division rival for more money. And on top of that he has been in a serious decline the last two seasons and is often injured. Yeah he is a team leader no doubt. But nothing he did here rises to the level of a Jordan, Abdul-Jabbar, Johnson, Bird, etc. You get the idea.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/grizzlies-retire-zach-randolphs-number-with-tear-jerking-open-letter/ar-BBDTW2r?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It is the Grizzlies.  With their history.. their standards of 'jersey retirement' isn't as high as the Lakers, Celtics, or even the Bulls. L0L

For example, at this point, a star player who led the Nets back to playoffs would likely get their jersey retired. L0LZ

• Like 1

Well, I don't like it. Having your number retired is supposed to mean something. I thought the same thing when the Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays retired Wade Boggs number.Yeah he's a HoF'er and had a great career but he didn't have it in Tampa! He played areound 200 games in two seasons and hit under .300. His combined WAR was 1.2. That is not number retirement stats.

Z-Bo wasn't even the best power forward on our squad this year. He only started 5 games. Last season he missed 22 games to injury and his RPG & PPG has been going nowhere but down since 2011. Look, he was important to the team, I get that. Do something nice for him. When the Kings come to town next year give him a gift of some kind. But next to the HoF getting your number retired is the biggest honor in sports. It ought to mean something. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

When you're really, really good other teams retire your number. I'm looking at you, Heat.

I do agree that it's pretty dumb and I don't want to say pathetic because that sounds harsher than I mean it but maybe whatever is pathetic adjacent.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Wait, wait. By the discussed criteria, surely you're all not implying that Harold Baines didn't deserve to have his number 3 retired by the White Sox??

A nice opinion piece from SB Nation about the Z-Bo thing. It doesn't change my mind. If he were retiring I could see it even if we wasn't the greatest player ever... or even on his own team. But he's not retiring. He's going to be here three times next season to try and beat his former squad. Heck even if he had done a 1 day retire-as-a-Grizzly contract when he's done playing I'd be OK with it. Bah... whatever. I don't own that team. Things would be done different if I did.

https://www.grizzlybearblues.com/2017/7/7/15930936/zach-randolph-memphis-grizzlies-jersey-retirement-haters

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

Cavs are looking for a GM. They might as well hire Lebron and give him another 20mil for the job. Is that actyually allowed in the nBA? Can a player be player-gm?  I doubt it as that could be a sneaky way to get around the salary cap as if they make James GM, pay him 40mil for it, he can then take the minimum as player. L0L

• 2 weeks later...

On one hand, I can't hate on a guy for wanting to be the top guy on his own team, especially when he's one of the 10 or 15 best players in the league.  On the other hand, it's hard for me to be on the side of a flat-earther.  Those guys are even more ridiculous than 9/11 truthers.  :lol:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Slovenia won the euro finals. Well deserved win, but the judging on that game was atrocious, the judge should lose his license...

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Slovenia won the euro finals. Well deserved win, but the judging on that game was atrocious, the judge should lose his license...

Luka Doncic's star is rising. Could he go #1 in next year's NBA draft?

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20668236/there-never-nba-draft-prospect-slovenia-luka-doncic

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2017/9/6/15885208/luka-doncic-nba-draft-2018-eurobasket-scouting-report-video-slovenia

Edited by Leferd

• 1 month later...

Miami vs LAC! Wow! Clippers down by 25. The 4th quarter, and LAC turning it around (Blake Griffin never misses penalties?), despite never having the lead. 16s remaining now...

Miami 102 to 101 after two foul shots. Poor, poor Clippers. 8s left. 0.9s , Griffin hits the back of the iron. Wow, that was intense.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***