Any strategies for Amiri?

I feel like she's just an extremely weak Valeros.

I don't see any use for her power because she can discard a weapon for almost the same bonus as burying.

And Valeros recharges which gives him back his health.

Thoughts?

Edited by PinkRose

Any strategies for Amari?

What exactly are you trying to achieve or having trouble with?

On average, a normal Combat roll for Val and Amiri is the same.

If an average boost i needed: Val can recharge a weapon with no loss of cards; Amiri has to discard her weapon - but she also has 5 of them, with high chance of having at least 2 of them in her hand at any given time (so she's ditching a useless card)

If a great boost is needed: Amiri can discard weapon AND bury another card for extra d10; Val... he's kinda stuck with recharging his weapon.

And this is al before get into details like:

- Amiri's Move power and her Move ANother upgrade

- Amiri having d6 Wisdom AND Survival (which come up often enough), and Val being stuck with Wisdom d4

- Amiri having greater benefit from combat blessings (d12 vs Val's d10)

etc..

So, a lot of the judgement of Amiri vs. Valeros will depend on your party numbers and composition, but I don't think she's inferior, let alone "extremely weak" compared to Val, and actually  *personally* I'd always pick her before Val as I consider her advantages better than his.

(EDIT: Also, you speak about Val's recharge giving back his health. Actually, no one benefits from having HIGH health, you just need it to be HIGH ENOUGH to win the the game. Val and Amiri are both slow deck-cyclers, so for me that weapon going at the bottom of Val's deck? It's just as lost and useless as if Amiri discards it.)

Edited by Longshot11

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

Amiri was the second character I used (in the physical game)

Amiri's movement power is actually very powerful, as there are some nasty "at the start of this turn" effects that you can dodge by moving her away.

The bury power is actually powerful, because she can bury things she doesn't need ever to power her rage ability.  Which means she can get to things she does need.  In addition, if there's a villain, she can bury and discard a weapon to get twice the bonus.

I think it's a matter of playstyle; Longshot is right in that they're both slow deck-cyclers; if you have the need to have everything in your deck at the end of the game, then Amiri isn't going to be good for you.  It's similar to Seelah's Crusade power - people don't like it because they want 0 risk and all the rewards.

If the class decks ever come out, those characters have certain situations they don't have to bury the card, so maybe you'll be more comfortable with that.

Talking about health though, I think the lowest health I have ever gotten down is like 2, and that's maybe 2-3 times out of hundreds of runs.  Health is quite manageable if you're aware of how many cards you have in your deck.

You can use the 'Mark Solved' button beneath a post that answers your topic or confirms it's not a bug.

The time that devs don't have to spend on the forum is a time they can spend on fixing the game.

(Thanks to Longshot11)

I'm with Val. Granted, I don't think Amiri is weak, per se, but I think Valeros has far far greater utility. Amiri has survival? Cool, but Val has charisma, and I think that has far more utility. As far as the health argument goes, the same can be said for combat. Val has overkill for most of his battles. You don't get a benefit from killing the enemy 5x over. You simply need to put him down.

I'm all for folks playing the character they enjoy best. So, I'm not putting down Amiri, but I find Val much more interesting to play. However, to be fair, I do think Amiri's movement power can be damned useful! On the other hand, the weapon recycling of Val allows for a much faster recycle of the deck. The added benefit of shuffling the weapon into the deck is pretty useful too, but mostly just making sure you only have one weapon at a time without taking damage to ditch the other one means that you still have the weapon at hand. Also, recharge means less likelihood of needing a heal.

The upshot is that I think players will play the character they like best, and they'll find clever ways of making them more useful. It makes for great debates, but I've take both Val and Amiri through all the current content and they both work pretty well. I specifically chose Val for my final 6 character party because he's more useful, but then again I didn't take Lem or Seoni, so Val is my charisma guy. If I'd had them and didn't have Harsk, I might have bought into Amiri more.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot the combat bonus from Val. Typically, I used to split everyone up all the time in order to go through locations. However, I have found that ability to be greatly useful. I don't always want to have two or three people in one location, to be sure, but that ability has come in quite handy!

Edited by Hastur

I think Amiri shines in larger parties. Her move/move another ability is where a lot of her power comes in. If the blessing deck is getting tight she hops over the cover any location to make sure the villian cannot run. Even if she cannot temp close it herself, someone else can throw a greater aid and she has it covered. Stick her with Lem and she can carry him along with her as she travels. Someone picked up a piece of junk? Move her to their location and have them hand it off. She'll just bury it.

Personally I have all the characters and Val I give the shields and one handed weapons. Amiri I give the two handed sticks.

• Like 2

I love Amiri, she replaced Valeros as my group's main STR character.

While I often make use of her Move herself ability, mostly because of reasons already mentionned - how do you guys use her Move Another power?

When you use Move Another to go to another location - when you get there, you should get a small window with other characters' portraits to select one to bring him to your location (on Legendary you can only move heroes within one "move line" from your new location).

If you want to bring another hero to you *without* moving Amiri - this ability is currently bugged and doesn't work. How it worked before 1.0.3. was - you press the Move button; you're brought to Map screen; you tap you *current* location; you enter the location again and you're presented with the portrait dialogue mentioned above.

Edited by Longshot11

Hi Longshot11,

thank you for your answer and sorry for the delay. I think I was unclear (no native speaker), my question was more towards the usefulness of "Move Another". I couldn't make up many situations where I would use it.

My new Amiri incarnation is parked before Battle at the Dam atm, I don't know if I want to put the next skill point (I hate that last skillpoint before the one that comes with the roles) into Heavy Armor (Barbarian - uck...) or into Move Another.

Hi Longshot11,

thank you for your answer and sorry for the delay. I think I was unclear (no native speaker), my question was more towards the usefulness of "Move Another". I couldn't make up many situations where I would use it.

My new Amiri incarnation is parked before Battle at the Dam atm, I don't know if I want to put the next skill point (I hate that last skillpoint before the one that comes with the roles) into Heavy Armor (Barbarian - uck...) or into Move Another.

Oh! In that case, allow me to refer you to my post in this thread:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/87091-lini-questions/page-2

tldr: While upgrading you Berserker over Move Another is understandable oversight now is your chance to rectify this :) Once you've taken Move Another, you'll start seeing the opportunities for yourself.

• Like 1

For me, Amiri > Val specially on legendary mode and my playstyle.

Once you get 5 hand size and decent weapons, She'd be closing locations all over.

Her weakness is her location drawing, but if you just use Allies that discard to draw and save your blessings to draw (don't use it to overkill or assist..unless its she's the last option)

Her move ability is far superior than Val's assist because early on its not that efficient to team up on a location, mobility is far better than Val's win more ability.

You want to skip over that Mountain without risking a card, She'll move in and then goes out after she smashes. Oh the Mountain is closed? Well, let Amiri just move there to end her turn and let's see whats on the top of other locations. ^^

Fearful of the Guardhouse and its Bandit henchmen? Let her stroll through it then moveout and then moveback in at the start of her next turn.

She replaces Merisiel for me when I was getting tired of using her.

• Like 1

Great info, tyvm you 2.

Was I wrong in skipping Heavy Armor for her? My base team consists of Meri, Kyra and Seoni.

I think No.

The only time I'm ever grateful Amiri draws an armor is late and a Boss have a damage first ability. I think any armor just clogs her hand and exploring potential.

Light Armor is enough for me as I always almost banishes/bury it for reduced to 0 damage.

Heavy Armor on a Barbarian?! Gorum dislikes! ^^

• 1 year later...

What do you think would be a good template for Amiri, when it comes to power?

For now I have hand size to 5, light armor and weapon profiency, barbarian rage 3, the two "move fast".

If I calc well, I have three more powers to assign till the end of the game.

So means I could go up to barbarian rage 6, or maybe 5 is enough? Then should I upgrade her hand size? And what about lord in iron's favor, to have better dice with blessing of gorum?

Thanks

The great thing on this game (card/computer) version is its versatility. You can choose whatever you like and thus have a different playstyle (or the need to think of a new playstyle). Amiri's second move fast power may be great but I never needed to use it - different playstyle. The blessing power (Lord in Iron) is awesome if you have the blessings in her deck or her group. Any power of such type (unless it improves only your check) is great - Lem encountered Siren: 1d4 for wisdom? Huh. Fortunately, Amiri adds 1d12 instead of 1d4. Yay! Seoni does the same with B. of Pharasma and Lem will not be tempted by the Siren wiles (musical, of course). I went with Weapon collecting powers (+4) as the high-end weapons are rather difficult to obtain. But Berserk may be the best choice. 6 cards is very good for Amiri as some wildcards in later adventures say "your hand size is 2 cards less". And 3 cards are much too few for Amiri. Automatic decrease of damage is not as good, because you have many armors and may have ring of protection or better (Sihedron).

Edited by Jenceslav

Thanks.

Too bad btw we cannot change a template, even with gold, after we made a choice, and we have to start this all over again...

I wonder, once I have maxxed out strength, what skill should I work on? Amiri has const has the most upgradable skill, but unsure const is a good skill to upgrade.

Thanks

Wisdom since both it and Survival (which Amiri have) came quite ofter as check to close locations.

Also, you shouldn't skip on damage reduction feats... there is way too many monsters/henchman/villains that deal befor/after you act damage in later sets to rely simply on having an armor or ring in hand so anything that help you ignore that damage is great.