I'd really like the AI to be able to use all abilities

Including cross-class talents, Second Wind and usable equipped gear.

But I mean, as it is, Pallegina doesn't even have an AI script that can use both Flames of Devotion and Lay on Hands.

Also, vancian casters should be able to use spells they have earned per-encounter usage on without having per-rest enabled. (not sure if this bug has been fixed)

My hope is that POE 2 will actually have Dragon Age: Origins-level party AI customization. Crafting the perfect scripts was a great metagame. But in the meantime I would settle for party members using all per-encounter abilities at the first opportunity after battle begins.

I will admit, crafting tight scripts made me like DA2's combat system far more than it deserved. Shame most games don't go that way (even the next DA didn't.)

At the least, I'm pretty sure Second Wind will get used by AI, but that's about it on the issues listed.

I was wondering , if there is AI setting in PoE that i can use for easy trash encounters so my party doesnt need to be told to auto attack every time enemy dies etc . What u guys have been using ? i almost done with my playtrough and never used any AI but there was many moments where i wished my party would just keep auto attacking enemies without my intervention 

I will admit, crafting tight scripts made me like DA2's combat system far more than it deserved. Shame most games don't go that way (even the next DA didn't.)

DA2 had it?

That's the only game of DA series I didn't play. Just couldn't force myself to go through first 15 minutes of gameplay.

Although I enjoyed a tonn the AI Tactics from DA:O. (hell, I've even ran 3 complete playthroughs of it; and of DA:I)

Yeah, DA2 had better scripts than DA. Base DA, anyways, there might be a mod out there that adds more. Don't get me wrong, of course, the combat was still pretty meh (mostly, ASAP CC and Burn the Mage/Assassin in the pack, AoE the leftovers), but I had fun making setting up the AI to auto pilot the same battle over and over as efficiently as possible. Which, come to think of it, was probably why tactics worked so well in that game: dang near every non mega-boss battle was the exact same thing, so just had to craft one good set of tactics, and you're set.

As for auto attacking AI in PoE, just setting behavior to Aggressive should do it. Can set the top one to nothing if you don't want them to use any abilities, just so long as the bottom is aggressive they'll auto attack stuff. It's not even perfect for that, as they'll bug out quite a bit, get stuck on something, decide to target something really far away, or however the pathing decides to mess up.

Aggressive AI indeed goes a long way. Whenever I'm taking on heavily outleveled opponents I just turn on AI for 5 party members (2 fighters, barbarian, paladin, cipher), turn off autopause (which is usually on for finishing spells and killing opponents) and manually control my priest to buff them. They are still quite stupid but so powerful they don't need to be smart. Cipher AI in particular is a bit meh, as she's only using level 1-2 spells. I wish I could tell her to save for and use Amplifying Wave.

Ahh, how it solved most of my "combat chore" issues.

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I have to agree. The AI in this game is pretty poor. Even in 3.02 I'm having Zahua wander off to aggro random mobs. Even Sagani was doing it in Endless Paths level 7, because the AI doesn't realise there's a wall between the current enemies and another group. Sometimes it makes combat worse, but it's necessary to have scripts on Aggressive because otherwise fighting through trash mobs (the elimination of which was a design objective, incidentally) becomes a slog.

The best AI I have ever seen in a video game is Guild Wars. There's a hell of a lot of skills, but because characters are limited to 8, it makes AI doable.
It's a different situation in PoE, however, particularly for some classes. Think of all the abilities Hiravias or Durance have. And the extra level of complication due to abilities added by items. Although enemy AI can and should be this good because their abilities are limited, I don't think it's possible to to get PC and companion AI this good - nor is it necessarily desirable. Having the player AI too good would remove all element of challenge from the game. Having it too poor is frustrating. So what's the solution?

The solution is, of course, custom AI scripts, which are not a new idea - several people above have mentioned Dragon Age. These can remove the "slog" element without trivialising combat completely - writing an effective script requires a deep understanding of the game's combat, and there's no way that a player-written AI script can deal with every possible situation. It also allows players to entirely customise the level of micromanagement that they want to do in combat. Eliminating prewritten AI scripts (for player characters, not enemies) in favour of custom scripts should be a top priority for a sequel, IMO.

Aggressive AI indeed goes a long way. Whenever I'm taking on heavily outleveled opponents I just turn on AI for 5 party members (2 fighters, barbarian, paladin, cipher), turn off autopause (which is usually on for finishing spells and killing opponents) and manually control my priest to buff them. They are still quite stupid but so powerful they don't need to be smart. Cipher AI in particular is a bit meh, as she's only using level 1-2 spells. I wish I could tell her to save for and use Amplifying Wave.

Ahh, how it solved most of my "combat chore" issues.

Yeah, if I'm using a Priest, that's my general plan for anything about the most basic trash. Funny how just turning off auto attack AI, casting a few buffs, lets you just turn the AI back on and watch the idiots steamroll over everything. Even Dragons, as this super basic plan rolls over even them. Just one of the reasons Priests are up there with Wizard for Most OP Class.

The AI settings are a very obvious afterthought addition to the game, and while I greatly appreciate them as a quality-of-life improvement, they are admittedly underwhelming.

Dragon Age: Origins did indeed have a very robust yet easy-to-use AI scripting system that I'd love to see in more games, but really, ANY of the Dragon Age games had better AI scripting options than PoE currently does.  At this point in the game's lifespan though, I doubt it's a system we'll see much improvement on until a sequel.