MLB 2016 - Even Year Magic

Hurlshort

The Giants continue to blow 9th inning leads.  Losing would be one thing.  I can handle them just not winning games.  But going into the 9th inning with a lead, and then blowing it over and over is like some horrible version of groundhog's day.

They are leading the league in blown saves and are perilously close to ending the even year streak by missing the playoffs altogether. Don't look now but the Marlins are only 4 games back and with Stanton back in the lineup they are on a winning streak.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, that terrible. Jose Fernandez could very well have been the next Pedro.

giphy.gif

Here's a nice write up by one of my favorite baseball writers. 

https://theringer.com/jos%C3%A9-fern%C3%A1ndez-was-a-singular-superstar-2c4625084eb6#.ky9z4skl6

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

And it's over. The Giants managed to get in so the even year thing is still going. The Giants, Red Sox, and Cubs all have ex-Rays players on them so that's who I'm rooting for to win it all.

For the Marlins the year began with high expectations and ended in overwhelming tragedy. Losing Jose Fernandez was devastating not just to his family and teammates but to Marlins fans everywhere. I saw it on Facebook and couldn't believe it. As bad as the loss was for the people it was as big for the team. He was their biggest draw after the perennially under performing Stanton. Now a weak pitching staff is really weak. 

For the Rays it was an up and down year but a lot more down than up. A lot of injuries. So many that in July we were joking it was the Durham Bulls in Rays uniforms. That wasn't that far off. Couple that with under performing  pitching and you get a losing recipe. They did turn it around but by that time they were so far under .500 there was nothing to do. 

So for my teams it's so long. But as Papa Hemingway wrote there will always be a spring. 

Thomas Sowell

Am I the only one that watched the Wild Card game?  Madbum was Madbum.  He continues to be the best pitcher in playoff history.  Unreal.  Syndergard was fantastic too, I question pulling him after the 7th.  He was dominant and could have gone at least another inning.

I saw it all from the 3rd inning. Great game, real pitchers duel. I love games like that that can break on a singe hitter.  

Thomas Sowell

The Blue Jays came to play.

Thomas Sowell

The games today have been most excellent! I've had them on the radio all day

Thomas Sowell

Something relevant from the Funny Stuff thread:

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/89194-the-funny-things-thread/?p=1851049

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Montaro hits a grand slam in the 8th. Wow what a game for the Cubs. And what the heck has happened to Toronto? All of the sudden they can't score runs. 

Thomas Sowell

Kershaw was a monster last night

Thomas Sowell

Kershaw was a monster last night

I'm a bit cranky about the treatment he is getting.  I mean, sure, I'm a Giants fan and it is in my nature to hate the Dodgers, but the guy has a lot left to do before he sheds his playoff history.  So far he's had a great game and a great relief appearance, but he is still sporting a 3.72 ERA for this postseason, and a much worse over his career. 

He ain't MadBum.  :p

Bautista is leading off tonight for the Jays. With Trevor Bauer vs Marcus Stroman I'd give the pitching edge to Cleveland tonight. 

Thomas Sowell