After an unfinished playthrough after release I started playing PoE again this year. I have reached what I presume to be the last encounter (Thaos and Woedicas Judge & Headsman). I haven't had any issues with the difficulty of fights up until now.
After about 20 tries I can reliably make Thaos transfer his soul to the judge and beat both him and the headsman. That's when things start to turn ugly though. Thaos' domination (!) and pillar spells wreck my party pretty quickly.
Party consists of:
Main Character (Level 10 Ranger, Wolf companion, outfitted with unique blunderbuss or pistol, pretty helpful in the first stage)
Edér (Level 10, has been a pretty good tank up until now, he survives the fight the longest)
Pallegina (Level 10, regularly survives until the last stage as well)
Durance (Level 10, often dies during the fight, if he doesnt he will be mostly out of spells because of all the healing he has to do, when he's not healing he's casting buffs, shield of the faithful, etc.)
Aloth (Level 10, try to have him debuff Thaos and deal damage with wall of flame/fireballs/missiles)
Kana (Level 10, I rely on his summons of the wyrm or loads of skeletons pretty heavily)
Some random notes:
- playing on normal difficulty
- in the end stage I normally try to debuff Thaos with Arcane Dampener or that other Level 3 Wizard spell (if Aloth survives until then, that is) and whack at him with all I got.
- I also try very hard to have my wolf companion survive as the accuracy penalty of bonded grief makes my Main pretty useless
- none of the "control" spells seem to work on Thaos
- I could probably level up some more by doing side quests, but don't really feel like it as I wanted to have some content left for a second playthrough
- the main issue is the domination spell he casts, I could probably deal with the damaging spells
Thanks a lot,