Josh Sawyer said before this nerf that they wanted to prevent ciphers from spamming high level powers as well as opening up every encounter with a hefty sucker punch like Amplified Wave. 

That's ok for me if the high level powers get buffed and focus gain is a bit higher.

0.25 focus per point of damage to 0.35 focus per point of damage is an increase of 40% by the way. That's not bad at all and better than any item, drug or talent that you can have. And since it's you new base focus gain, maybe it stacks multiplicatively with the other focus gain buffs. Although I have no idea how these modifiers are calculated to be honest.

But I guess that these items/talents just stack additiveliy like weapon damage so it would be:

0.35 focus + 0.35 * 0.25 (Talisman) + 0.35 * 0.33 (Draining Whip) = 0.55 focus per point of damage.

If it stacks mutiplicatively then:

0.35*1.25*1.33 = 0.58 focus per point of damage

Not much of a difference.

Before the buff it would have been 0.39 or 0.42

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Nothing wrong with stopping cipher from spamming abilities BUT we all would agree that their lategame "mojo" is lackluster in comparison to casters and I think the comparison is fair since the cipher is a kind of caster himself. Therefore a buff or a complete revamp of the lategame stuff should be in order if not with part 2 maybe with a new patch in March. We as players could keep on giving feedback on those lategame abilities.

Well, Josh posted on twitter that the Cipher is getting buffed thanks to player feedback. Good show gents, this thread may have accomplished something; with this upcoming Cipher buff, i think all the classes might be worth using now.

I never thought whining could lead to such a collective achievement.

But after months arguing about chanter not scaling well, per encounter spells being too strong or fighter nerfed too bad, I feel relieved.

Edited by Elric Galad

Hehe - whining and RANTING!  :fdevil:

Cipher's are a bit of a rogue/caster mix. Since they can get an "always on" passive damage mod of +40% it's ok if their powers aren't as powerful as the spells of a "real" caster. But they shouldn't be worthless either. Maybe this nerf/buff achieves this - we'll see...

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I never thought whining could lead to such a collective achievement.

But after months arguing about chanter not scaling well, per encounter spells being too strong or fighter nerfed too bad, I feel relieved.

Well, what is a "whine" in our case but an argument for change. If we didn't care about the game we could have just said nothing and dropped PoE to play something else.

Hehe PoE is really a great game.
Writing is excellent, background is deep and mature, alien races are well designed.

And Combat system might not be perfect, but it is what I expected about Black Isle games spiritual successor.
Except Black Isle games were never so tactic and balanced.

Team members have clear and unique purpose. They complement themselves in front of adversity, and this is the epic touch I really hoped to see achieved in this kind of RPG : complementary strenghts of an adventurer group in a fantasy setting.

The only game that could come close is this good old Guild Wars 1. 

I've never played MMORPG by the way, so I may lack experience.

I'm happy to contibute a bit to this great game evolution (probably because of a frustated passion for game design :-  ).