Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #104: Last Chance...

Update Pillars of Eternity Update 3.0 Beta Lords of the Eastern Reach

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3266 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

It was definitely 2/encounter in 2.03.

Well, this Brisk Recitation thing kind of puts INT in a rather ... peculiar place with Chanters, now. You either keep it a 10 and try to chant as many phrases as possible so you can cast, or you pump it and you have an unavoidable ability that runs counter what you're trying to accomplish.

Njall

Njall

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts

It was definitely 2/encounter in 2.03.

Well, this Brisk Recitation thing kind of puts INT in a rather ... peculiar place with Chanters, now. You either keep it a 10 and try to chant as many phrases as possible so you can cast, or you pump it and you have an unavoidable ability that runs counter what you're trying to accomplish.

My bad then ( again ).

As for chanters, I'm afraid I'm missing something: don't you recite a phrase, then linger starts and you move on to the next phrase? I don't think INT ever affected recitation time, otherwise increasing INT would've made casting slower.

So increasing int with Brisk Recitation still increases the duration of the buff by the same static amount, and while the total duration of the buff is shorter, you can also chant the phrase more often. 

By the time you're level 16, for example, you can chant twice as fast: just cast the same buff twice and it will last as much as it used to and generate twice as many phrases, while taking the same time to recite.

Edited by Njall, 23 January 2016 - 08:39 AM.

• AndreaColombo likes this

L4wlight

L4wlight

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Cipher nerf is so unf*****belivable unnecessary...

• AndreaColombo likes this

Njall

Njall

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 126 posts

Mechanics being only really useful on one character is very (A)D&D-like. In IE games you also only needed one Rogue in the party who could find/disarm traps and pick locks. I don't think it's a problem. I used to pump Survival a bunch to make my Potions of Deleterious Alacrity of Motion last longer, but it looks like it has become a dump skill for me (I always get +3 to an attribute from Caed Nua as a resting bonus; not really interested in anything else) but I appreciate how the skill is now more valuable to more people. Ironically, now I'll probably be doing the Stealth/Lore thing except on my Mechanics guy and only invest a few points in Athletics for scripted interactions' checks. Play styles :)

Shades, Specters, etc. should only be immune to "Ground" if my understanding is correct. Perhaps a Fighter's "Knock Down" is also flagged as "Ground"? It wouldn't super make sense to be able to knock a hovering creature down, imho.

EDIT: You may want to report the wonky Accuracy breakdowns in the bug section.

Sorry, missed this post :p

Just so you know, one of the camping bonuses is "increased consumable duration" (+120%/+140% consumable duration, depending on the rank of the bonus ).

As for shades and co., nope, their immunities are clearly listed and include both "ground" and "prone" :)

Edited by Njall, 23 January 2016 - 09:22 AM.

Mechalibur

Mechalibur

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Were quest exp rewards lowered this patch? I was working on a document to figure out the value of each quest level and type (minor/normal/major), and after the beta suddenly nothing matches up.

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3705 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

This question might be better for the LOER category but I'm wondering as this Update is relevant...

Would it be legal to take photos of the card/board and play online? (I was thinking of GMing a game if anyone is interested, PM for hands and a Thread for the game)

Looking forward to LOER a lot too :D

Gs11

Gs11

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts

I'm courios about new difficulty level  from act 3 to the end. Don't have steam  version, so question for You players:  is combat  really better , more challenging?

At this moment in my playthrough on PotD I  leveled down my party from 10 to 8 lvl before enter to Twin Elms. Before that I was doing mostly everything, side quests, do some white march and surrounding areas, grab Zahua, just not finishing Caed Nua  from lvl 10, not entering dwarfs fortress, not recruting Devi of Caroc. I was playing with 25% nerf exp mod, which give about 9-10 lvl before act 3.

And wondering now, is it better to wait  3.0 and try play with these new scalling  up options for act 3 or just delvl my party like I did  and not special worries?

cavemandiary

cavemandiary

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 160 posts

I've only done one playthrough, where I did the expansion first and was max level(14) when I reached a3. I adjusted the level slide when prompted, but other than against Thaos and the sky dragon it was fairly easy.

Dmitriy_K7

Dmitriy_K7

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts
There is one disgusting thing in POE - immunities against some damage types, likes ice blight crush imm.
I can understand how it should works, but... this is illogical.

What you think about to change "damage immunities" to "strongest Damage Reduction"?

For example, blights have 30(40, 45, 50) Ice  Damage Reduction now (but what about Crush?.. You can pierce it or slash... but NOT crush! R'lly!? ).
Ardra Dragon(Throw her On the Sun - will she live?) has 60 Burn DR, etc.
So now you need to activate all your buffs and debaffs to make your attacs usefull. (instead of all others))

I see it more... tactical and realistic .

OK, elemental d.immunities... i can agree with it, but not about physical .

Edited by Dmitriy_K7, 15 February 2016 - 12:11 PM.

Gs11

Gs11

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 214 posts

Question about new survival mechanic in 3.0: does it still have infuence on time acting for potions?

WorstUsernameEver

WorstUsernameEver

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5869 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

One of the possible survival bonuses increases consumable duration. It's not automatic like it used to be, though.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Update, Pillars of Eternity, Update 3.0, Beta, Lords of the Eastern Reach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users