With TWM pt. II coming in January there should hopefully be a bout of revived interest in the game. The chances of hitting 1,000,000 by the end of the first year from release are looking good, and I'm happy for that (it means our chances of seeing more RTwP party-based isometric RPGs are also looking good) :)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I'm eyeballing "Eye of the Beholder"

I'm trying to remember, but I don't think I ever finished eye of the beholder. I should look to see if it's on GoG. That was a great game and I had to be extremely close to the end when I stopped playing for whatever reason.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

hahaha It turns out my GoG account is also under Cantousent. So, I just purchased collections 1, 2, and 3. I would say I'd grief you if it disappoints, but I plan on having fun and, anyhow, I'm stingy. My decisions are my decisions and only *I* get credit or blame for them. :Cant's tongue in cheek grin icon:

EDIT: and it occurs to me that I'm being bad about going off topic. Clearly, I'm happy that PoE has been selling well. I'm pretty much a shoe in for joining the kickstarter for the next campaign, although perhaps not for the same tier. I don't mind folks voicing their opinions, but sometimes the folks coming online just to be cheerleaders against the game if not outright haters can be a drag. Still, even if I disagree with much of their pool of suggestions, I suppose that there is some good in at least considering different ideas.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

hahaha It turns out my GoG account is also under Cantousent. So, I just purchased collections 1, 2, and 3. I would say I'd grief you if it disappoints, but I plan on having fun and, anyhow, I'm stingy. My decisions are my decisions and only *I* get credit or blame for them. :Cant's tongue in cheek grin icon:EDIT: and it occurs to me that I'm being bad about going off topic. Clearly, I'm happy that PoE has been selling well. I'm pretty much a shoe in for joining the kickstarter for the next campaign, although perhaps not for the same tier. I don't mind folks voicing their opinions, but sometimes the folks coming online just to be cheerleaders against the game if not outright haters can be a drag. Still, even if I disagree with much of their pool of suggestions, I suppose that there is some good in at least considering different ideas.

Yup, haters, my pet hate. I do understand:

a: there is no such thing as a perfect game.

b: constructive feedback is good, really good.

c: everyone has different tastes, ideas of what makes a good game.

But why, by Woedica's grace, do people who hate a game constantly post vitriol on forums who are by design intended for fans of the game?

Sigh, don't even have to watch news nowadays to realize the human race is doomed.

On the positive side, and back on topic, hopefully this means POE2 is in the works. I'd also kickstart it, no worries, though also not at the same tier as previously, not because I'm disappointed, but rather because our currency has committed suicide against the US dollar...

To make me even more depressed after following news this week, I just calculated how much more I'd have to pay on kickstarter to match my original pledge.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

I would probably go for the same tier as I did for PoE, but I would likely need to back at a lower tier first and up it later through the backer portal.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

But why, by Woedica's grace, do people who hate a game constantly post vitriol on forums who are by design intended for fans of the game?

People who do this on the Bethesda forums get banned. You're not allowed to post negative things about a Bethesda game on the Bethesda forums. Sound like a nice place?

• Like 1

I'm all for freedom of expression and criticism but if people really don't like a game hanging around its gaming forum seems a waste. As I repeatedly say, constructive criticism is good, hating not so much. There is a difference.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

People who do this on the Bethesda forums get banned. You're not allowed to post negative things about a Bethesda game on the Bethesda forums. Sound like a nice place?

Two wrongs don't make a right, etc. etc.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Obsidian forums have never banned, and never will ban, anyone for just being critical of Obsidian games. I mean, I'm not sure why some people think it's a good idea to talk for months and months about how they don't enjoy a game, but then, we have people who are similarly obsessed about hawt virtual women or NWN1, so...

Now, back on topic? POE2 is probably 99% sure of getting made, all things considered. Hopefully it can afford to have a bigger team and budget, and a considered effort on improving every aspect.

• Like 1

I'm not sure why some people think it's a good idea to talk for months and months about how they don't enjoy a game

Because this has the most meaning in their lives.

500k+ copies of PoE is more than enough to make Obsidian consider a sequel. I can only imagine how the game will progress after all this feedack :)

• Like 1

Criticism is good and healthy and drives the free market. However, fact that this forum does not ban creators of unnecessary noise pollution might be the reason that the game developers spend more time in open discussion on other forums. Food for thought.

PoE has given life back to a much loved genre. I look forward to its ongoing success.

• Like 3

I post negative things about Bethesda games on their forum all the time. Maybe you just need to word them more politely and be less obsessive about them (unlike one of our fellow Obsidian forumites, whose opinions I value but who has a very short fuse, which eventually led to his ban by Bethesda).

I'm not going to deny their moderation can be suffocating, but you're taking this accusation way too far.

Edited by Rosveen
  • Like 1

Now, back on topic? POE2 is probably 99% sure of getting made, all things considered. Hopefully it can afford to have a bigger team and budget, and a considered effort on improving every aspect.

I don't think POE2 being made was ever a question, I'm just wondering will it be via KS or did they make enough money for a sequel.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Don't forget GoG, Steam, Paradox, and Origins are all taking their cut and part of their earnings were put toward the expansion. If the expansion broke even, they could probably do PoE 2 without crowdfunding (higher budget and many things already done on the engine and world building side) but I still wouldn't mind contributing cash toward stretch goals.

Stretch goals are usually cut content that wanted to put from the start. I am skeptic about some kickstarter projects, especially those run by people who are not making their 1st or second steps into whichever market thay want to break through. I understand it for many, but I can't think that many abuse it because they know geeks will throw their money at them, so they get to continue making their projects without putting any of their previous capitals. And I will be skeptic for Obsidian if they go for a kickstarter for PoE 2.

I would support another KS going towards polishing and additional features, but I hope Obsidian is more focused this time and chooses stretch goals they're devoted to developing properly with KS-boosted funding. I don't want to see a repeat of the stronghold or the megadungeon (I mean their quality and role in the game, not the features in themselves. One was underdeveloped, the other used up resources which would be better spent on a few more wilderness areas.)

Edited by Rosveen

Nah, I'm really happy about Endless Paths being there - they worked as a nice contrast to the outside areas, and throughout most of the game, you could choose whether you want to explore more of the outside bits or try for another level of Endless Paths where you got your ass handed to you the last time around. It was a dungeon which just was around for pretty much the entire second act (and a good bit of the third for us slow folk). I'm not a big fan of Baldur's Gate approach of "Go into another foresty/hilly/grassy bit and find 1 NPC with a quest, 1 NPC with something to say and potentially a recruitable NPC in the entire bloody area"

I love the idea of a mega dungeon per se, but I would prefer it was separate from the stronghold (and from the main story, which the endless paths are.)

• Like 1

Oh, I like the Endless Paths. I just think we could cut off a couple of its levels and add a couple more outside areas instead. :) But it's not a major complaint and I know a lot of people would disagree with me.

Edited by Rosveen