Game speed modes, which do you use in combat?

23 members have voted

1. 1. What game speed do you set when you are in combat (in the majority of cases)?

• I've set the game to switch to slow automatically when I'm in combat
    • I manually switch to slow speed unless it's a trivial combat, then I leave it at normal
    • I play combat on normal speed but keep my finger on the pause button
    • I hardly ever pause or need to change speeds during combat

Normal speed with auto-pause options and of course extra manual pauses whenever I see fit.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I automatically have it switch to Slow-speed.  I tried normal speed w/ autopauses, but that got messy really quick because I'd try to pause manually right as the game auto-paused, which turned into an unpause and messed up my timing for things.  So now it's just auto-slow with almost no auto-pauses.  This'll probably change though, since I'm getting increasingly fed up with the AI and will likely switch that off permanently soon, at which point I'll likely turn the auto-pausing back on.

• Like 1

I keep it at normal speed, but with auto-pause settings enabled so that the game automatically pauses...

• when combat starts
  • when a party member finishes an action
  • when a targeted enemy has been killed

This gives the most tactical experience IMO. Almost a little like turn-based.

I still need to manually pause in order to activate abilities of melee characters who usually just auto-attack. At higher levels I let the AI take care of that, but for lower levels it would be nice to have an additional auto-pause option that kicks in whenever a combat resource like a Monk wound or Chanter invocation has been unlocked.

• Like 2

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

I still need to manually pause in order to activate abilities of melee characters who usually just auto-attack. At higher levels I let the AI take care of that, but for lower levels it would be nice to have an additional auto-pause option that kicks in whenever a combat resource like a Monk wound or Chanter invocation has been unlocked.

+1 for auto-pause on a new ability becoming enabled. Also applies to chanter invocations.

This sounds nice, but how should it be implemented? I think ideally (but least trivially), you should be able to set a threshold per class. Some players, for instance, would want the game paused by default in preparation for a favorite invocation which is below the max-level rank, and would consider it annoying for the game to pause at 3, 4, 5, 6 chants. For a monk, some players might want it to pause at just one total wound (e.g. for Torment's Reach), others at three (e.g. for Flagellant's Path), others at eight (e.g. for Twins, or simply as an alert to start dumping wounds).

This system could also apply for ciphers, to auto pause based on the value of a Focus threshold slider.

The main con I see against this system, assuming (with little actual basis) that it would take a relatively small amount of programming time to implement, is the possible interface bloat and complexity it could add to that options menu.

• Like 1

I play on potd. I have the game switch to slow. I only auto-pause on combat start, target destroyed, hidden object found. I find the AI settings largely useless so I still pause often to issue orders. 

Overall the combat, while enjoyable, still feels spammy like the pacing is off in some strange way. I think I would prefer less encounters overall but longer more complex individual encounters.

• Like 1