Skipping Companion Quests

You need the story companions to get and do their quest lines.

You don't need to have them with you at any other time though. If you know where and when their quests occur you can add in the story companion, do their quest and then send them back to the stronghold.

With the rebalancing in 2.0 making all the stats more useful, and being able to level up from first level,  I've found that the story companions are good enough as long as you wanted their base class on the team. I'll take Pallagrinna as the team Paladin instead of hiring a merc Paladin with a few stat points moved around.  I mainly just hire a few mercs at level two to fill up the team and then replace with story companions as I find them.

^ not necessarily. If you bring him along only after completing that quest, simply travelling to Brackenbury will trigger his.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Ok so I am getting different answers to this.

In my post I asked if once there quests are done they are complete.

Some said they have extra things to share after their quests are done and your answers affect their end text.

Is this correct?

I would rather it be whats is being stated in this thread where once they are done they are done and you can drop them off and still have as much completion as possible.

Once their quests are done, they are done in the sense that no more quests will populate your journal in relation to your companions. That doesn't mean your companions stop interacting with you or reacting to the game's events, though; some conversations you can have with them afterward can change their final slides (but you get a slide per companion even if you don't finish their quest; it simply tells you what happened to them in light of their quests not having been completed.)

Aloth definitely has one of those slide-changing conversations in Act IV. Can't recall about the others, frankly.

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Once their quests are done, they are done in the sense that no more quests will populate your journal in relation to your companions. That doesn't mean your companions stop interacting with you or reacting to the game's events, though; some conversations you can have with them afterward can change their final slides (but you get a slide per companion even if you don't finish their quest; it simply tells you what happened to them in light of their quests not having been completed.)

Aloth definitely has one of those slide-changing conversations in Act IV. Can't recall about the others, frankly.

Thanks.  I am such a completionist I want to see it all.  If that happens in act IV it is probably likely there are others who have extra dialog at that point of no return.  Unless they had in mind we bring a certain group into act IV.  With 10 companions if I wanted to see it all I guess I need to reload 2 times and bring a new set of companions on each load.

Does this slide changing event only occur in act IV? Because that is at least something I can plan for.  Otherwise I keep wondering if I should be bringing each companion to each special encounter.  And then I get tired... heh

That I recall, Aloth's interaction is triggered by a specific event in Act IV. There might be others but it's been a while and I can't remember (last time I went through Act IV it was with henchmen.)