OSX El Capitain has broken PoE

Kel27

Question

So I (foolishly) installed El Capitain the other night only to discover that it has broken PoE.  When I launch the game all I get is a black screen with the menu music. The game does work if I use CMD+F to switch to windowed mode, but there is also a noticable fps drop since installing El Capitain (so much for Metal). Switching back to full screen makes the game screen freeze (music still plays normally).  

Anyone running 10.11 without any issues? I'm considering reverting to Yosemite.

• Like 1

Thanks Aarik D,

Here is my Player log. file:///Users/johnjoye/Desktop/Player%20copy.log

​Testing to see if just dragging the file here will work. if not I'll try Drop Box.

No that didn't work, that would be to simple  :getlost:

Ok, here is the drop box link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x62on0wtr1qhlxq/Player%20copy.log?dl=0

Hope this helps.

iMac 27" Late 2013

OS X El Capitan 10.11

3.4 GHz Intel core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048MB

Edited by Johnny925

Sorry to be moaning again but:

From Finder > hold down the Option key, then choose Go > Library.  Another way of accessing the folder: From Finder > select the Go Tab > Click on Go to folder > type in ~/Library > Press Go > Logs Folder > Unity Folder > Player.log

I have NO Unity folder!

A Spotlight search for Player.log finds nothing.

El Capitan Version 10.11 (15A284)

Sorry to be moaning again but:

From Finder > hold down the Option key, then choose Go > Library.  Another way of accessing the folder: From Finder > select the Go Tab > Click on Go to folder > type in ~/Library > Press Go > Logs Folder > Unity Folder > Player.log

I have NO Unity folder!

A Spotlight search for Player.log finds nothing.

El Capitan Version 10.11 (15A284)

fendernman, Maybe I can help. Don't use Spotlight. use the application called Finder or you can click on its shortcut that looks like the square with the blue and white faces that fit together.

Once it's open look at the very top bar on your monitor. Next to the black apple in the upper left it should say ( Finder ).

look to the right and you should see the word ( Go ). Click on it. 

In the Drop down you should see ( Go To Folder... ) Click on it.

A small window will pop up. Type in ( ~/Library ). The  GO button will light up. Click on it. 

Now your should be able to navigate down a folder listing to ( Logs Folder ) to ( Unity Folder ) to ( Player.log )

Copy it and upload it to Dropbox. Create a link to it in Dropbox and paste that link to a post.

I don't dive into my Mac much so this has been a learning lesson for me. 

Hope this helps.

Hey, everyone. We have done more investigation. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like something that Obsidian can fix. From what we can tell it looks like there is a problem with the Nvidia driver for El Capitan.

The only workaround that we are aware of is to take your game out of fullscreen mode by pressing CMD-F.

We will continue to see if there is anything we can do, but we might be at the mercy of Nvidia and Apple to fix the driver.

• Like 1

I was able to download version 2.0.2 from the app store and then verify payment for The White March. I popped in, took a look around, then saved and exited. When I tried to open the game again, I could only get this message:  "“PillarsOfEternity is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “PillarsOfEternity” and download it again from the App Store." I really enjoy this game, and I am really hope that all of my character leveling and solved quests are not lost in the shuffle. I'm going to hold off on the deleting & re-dowloading to see if some patch can be cooked up. Best of luck in getting your problems solved.

I had the exact same issue but running Yosemite 10.10.5. Deleted, downloaded, and reinstalled and seems ok mostly. Looks like a few items disappeared and when traveling on the world map, the buttons (cancel or accept I think) are missing when the dialog box tells you how many hours the trip will take. Luckily I have pretty good muscle memory, you can click in appropriate area and you can make the trip (or cancel it). 

Hi Taylor - I have hit the same issue. About to do a download and reinstall. Did you save log files or saved games prior? Or did you just do the reinstall and the saved characters and games were there once the reinstall was complete?

Hey, everyone. We have done more investigation. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like something that Obsidian can fix. From what we can tell it looks like there is a problem with the Nvidia driver for El Capitan.

The only workaround that we are aware of is to take your game out of fullscreen mode by pressing CMD-F.

We will continue to see if there is anything we can do, but we might be at the mercy of Nvidia and Apple to fix the driver.

Thanks for investigating this for us.   I took some extreme measures to fix this issue - I backed up my machine and used internet recovery to revert to yosemite. 

Just a little more info on my situation.

Every time I start the game I get the frozen start page. If I hit ( command + F ) I can get to the options page.

In the options page I go to the Graphics page and check full screen. Then I hit the ( X ) in the upper right conner, then I hit the save option. I usually  have to do this several times ( 4 to 5 ) until it sticks. But it does end up staying in ( Full Screen ) mode with the resolution of ( 2048 x 1152 ) one level down from the max ( 2560 x 1440 ) in the case of my iMac.

What's odd to me is that apparently my iMac, OS X El Capitain and my NVIDIA card with t's drivers can play the game in full screen. It just takes me repeatedly asking it to do so. I'm no programer but if I can do it on my keyboard it seems code and be written or changed to get whatever isn't listening to pay attention and lock into Fullscreen without me having to do it manually.

Now I must stress this applies to my iMac, I know all machines can differ.

My two cents.

I was able to download version 2.0.2 from the app store and then verify payment for The White March. I popped in, took a look around, then saved and exited. When I tried to open the game again, I could only get this message:  "“PillarsOfEternity is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete “PillarsOfEternity” and download it again from the App Store." I really enjoy this game, and I am really hope that all of my character leveling and solved quests are not lost in the shuffle. I'm going to hold off on the deleting & re-dowloading to see if some patch can be cooked up. Best of luck in getting your problems solved.

I had the exact same issue but running Yosemite 10.10.5. Deleted, downloaded, and reinstalled and seems ok mostly. Looks like a few items disappeared and when traveling on the world map, the buttons (cancel or accept I think) are missing when the dialog box tells you how many hours the trip will take. Luckily I have pretty good muscle memory, you can click in appropriate area and you can make the trip (or cancel it). 

Hi Taylor - I have hit the same issue. About to do a download and reinstall. Did you save log files or saved games prior? Or did you just do the reinstall and the saved characters and games were there once the reinstall was complete?

I actually decided to delete my saves and start fresh for White March. Had only to jump in the pit and do the last battle plus the new content so started again. Deleted the game does not seem to delete your saves if that is the question I have had to do that manually each time. 

Annoying. Have you had this reported to both Apple and NVIDIA?

I have no problems with any other games/apps on my iMac. If there is a driver problem in my case it is restricted to your game.

Annoying. Have you had this reported to both Apple and NVIDIA?

Have you?

I bought this game via the App Store. Could you please advise me how I get a refund?

Thanks 

Hello everyone,

We are currently in communications with Apple and will update you guys once we find out more information.

I bought this game via the App Store. Could you please advise me how I get a refund?

Thanks 

Here is a link that will assist you in getting a refund from the app store.  http://www.imore.com/how-to-get-refund-itunes-app-store

Thank you all for your support and patience. 

Hi everyone,

I've the same problems as mentioned above. To avoid old Apple drivers I installed the newest NVIDIA driver which is released to work with El Capitan 10.11.1. All with the same results. Here are my specs:

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.1

iMac (21,5", Late 2013)

2,9 GHZ Intel Core i5

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 1024 MB

using NIVIDA WebDriver 346.03.03f01

And here is my player.log file:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=44074CCD6622B49!365&authkey=!ADfQ9z3cX2ZYtmQ&ithint=folder%2clog

I hope this issue will soon be fixed.

BAdler,

Do you have an update on this issue?

Thanks!

Today's nVidia Web Driver release fixed the issue.

I just installed the latest web driver after reading this and I can say that the issue is NOT fixed for me.  I still cannot play the game.  And I don't want to hear Obsidian passing the buck back to Apple anymore.  Please let us know the status of the fix for this.

Edited by Clocknova

Today's nVidia Web Driver release fixed the issue.

I just installed the latest web driver after reading this and I can say that the issue is NOT fixed for me.  I still cannot play the game.  And I don't want to hear Obsidian passing the buck back to Apple anymore.  Please let us know the status of the fix for this.

That "passing the buck" is a mite unreasonable. If the driver doesn't work, it doesn't work and Obs can't do much about it: they don't have access to the driver's source code, and finding a workaround to an extremely low-level issue like this can be as good as impossible. It's not like P:E is the only thing affected: I've seen rendering problems all over the place, from the JetBrains IDE to stuff running under Wine to other games. Apple/nVidia broke the driver for El Capitan; they're the ones who have to fix it.

I.e., if you want to vent, vent at Apple and nVidia. This really isn't Obsidian's fault, and it's not something they can fix. If this gets them a lot of bad press, all it's going to do is make it less likely they'll even release OS X versions of their stuff in the future -- Mac gamers are a niche within a niche.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I really enjoyed this game, but I have had to change my reviews to negative. I have limited time for gaming so I am uncertain exactly when, but an update (either to the game itself, or with Mac OSX El Capitan) has caused this game to no longer function. It loads up to a black screen where music can be heard, and nothing further happens. If I click anywhere, a thin strip of screen can be seen (approx 1/2") at the top that tears badly. 

I emailed support via the link on PoE's website (support@obsidian.net) and it was returned to me stating that the receiver's account registered it as spam and rejected the email. What service.

Steam will not refund me my purchase because I have logged more than two hours in game. So I am stuck with a $45 dollar electronic string of text in my steam folder? 

Same over here: Updated El Capitan (10.11.1) and PoE (2.03) and NVIDIA WebDriver (346.03.03f02). Still the same black Screen...

In my opinion it all comes down to the Unity Engine which doesn't work well (enough) with El Capitan. The player.log file says that a lot of parameters weren't found during the start of the game:

NullReferenceException
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Component:InternalGetGameObject ()
  at UnityEngine.Component.get_gameObject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UIEventListener.Get (UnityEngine.Component mb) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Is there any possibility that the "niche within the niches" (@PrimeJunta: thanks for your compassion) get their Unity Engine Update?

Also experiencing this issue. 2013 iMac, 3.4g i5, GTX 775M. Load game to black screen. Windowed at 1440 is blocked by the dock and unplayable, meaning the only way to play the game is at smaller than native resolution. Full screen is just a black screen with sound. 

I'm not tech savvy. With that in mind, I think it's unreasonable to say that it is the responsibility of graphics card manufacturers to make their drivers work for your game. It strikes me as something that should go the other way around. 

If you cannot ensure that the product you sold me works as it was intended, then please offer me my $44.99 back. 

Edited by Halcyonview

I have noticed that if I switch to windowed mode, then back to fullscreen, and click the mouse on the screen at just the right time during the transition, the game will run normally.  It's hard to time it right, and it takes many tries to get it to work, but eventually it does.  Of course, I have no way of knowing if my clicking is what is actually making it work, or if it is happening randomly.  But the fact that it sometimes works at all tells me that this should be easily fixed.  If only we can get SOMEONE to fix it.

I.e., if you want to vent, vent at Apple and nVidia. This really isn't Obsidian's fault, and it's not something they can fix. If this gets them a lot of bad press, all it's going to do is make it less likely they'll even release OS X versions of their stuff in the future -- Mac gamers are a niche within a niche.

That's not quite true.  The fact that other Unity games are working just fine indicates that there is something that can be done on the part of the developer to make Unity engine games work in fullscreen with El Capitan and NVIDIA cards.  Wasteland 2: Director's Cut runs just fine.

I could be wrong but, since no one will elaborate on this issue or really explain what is going on, I have no way to know that.  Thus, with the information I have at my disposal, I have to assume that there is, in fact, something that Obsidian can do to fix this.  If someone has information that contradicts this assumption, please share it with me.