Republican Presidential Debate

BruceVC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34308716?ocid=socialflow_facebook

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carson-muslim-president-1.3235920

"I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation," Carson said. "I absolutely would not agree with that."

Something is funny about him saying that, but can't quite make it out.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Carson backtracks a bit at the end, coming across with a much better answer when it comes to Muslims in Congress, but the premise fascinated me.  

First off, we aren't exactly close to having a viable Muslim candidate.  The US is around 70% Christian, while Muslims represent about 1% of the country.  So yeah, it's not even an issue.  But really, would we elect any candidate that said he would place the Bible above the constitution and the law of the land?  How is the Qu'ran any different?

Also, we have precedent here.  JFK went through the same questions as the first Catholic President.  

• Like 2

Can you imagine Obama going to  congress and saying " in the interests of unity and a progressive future for the USA Sharia law will now be rolled out ...starting in Texas "  

I wonder what  WOD would say about this  ...mmmmm   teehee.gif

I'd love that, we'd finally stop being a flock of sheep and secede. Edit: Btw, style point, "Sharia law" is redundant. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I do love the McCain response though.  It's clearly a different situation, given he is really face to face with that woman, but it shows what a stand up guy he is.  He had my vote until he chose Sarah Palin as his running mate.  What a terrible turn that was.   

Why does the choice of a VP mean anything to you? It's barely even an after thought to me unless the candidate is elderly or in ill health. And people like that are unelectable anyway. All Sarah Palin would ever do is attend briefings and maybe cast a tie breaking senate vote every once in a great while. You are an educated man so I'll wager you know who John Nance Garner was an his observations of the value of the Vice Presidency.

I'm curious how you feel about choosing Obama over McCain now. I just cant see John McCain suggesting returning combat vets were likely terrorists and deserving of special police surveillance. Or that they should pay for their own healthcare for combat injuries.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

John McCain is pretty elderly and not necessarily the picture of perfect health.  Who knows how his health would respond to the rigors of the presidency?  (That's actually an interesting thing to think about with Hilary Clinton, given her health scare as Secretary of State.)  But yeah, the VP may not be worth a bucket o' warm spit, but it is one step away from being extremely important.  And Sarah Palin is soooooooo bad.   

In terms of 2012, I actually didn't vote for Obama.  I voted for that Libertarian candidate.  Not sure how much that helped, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.   :shrugz:    

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 4

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34308716?ocid=socialflow_facebook

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/carson-muslim-president-1.3235920

"I would not advocate that we put a Muslim in charge of this nation," Carson said. "I absolutely would not agree with that."

Something is funny about him saying that, but can't quite make it out.

I'd say it's funny that some one with a religion would discriminate against another person because they have a religion. Ben Carson is a disgraceful bigot unworthy of being president or even being admired. Screw that guy.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Can you imagine Obama going to  congress and saying " in the interests of unity and a progressive future for the USA Sharia law will now be rolled out ...starting in Texas "  

I'd love that, we'd finally stop being a flock of sheep and secede. Edit: Btw, style point, "Sharia law" is redundant.

You do realize that seceding would mean facing the full power of the US military which in the case of preserving the Union would not hesitate to resort to total war if it needed to. The Texans would be forced to stay, or if that became impossible they'd all be killed, by nuclear strikes if needed. No state leaves the union; much less with it's people alive.

• Like 1

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I'd love that, we'd finally stop being a flock of sheep and secede. Edit: Btw, style point, "Sharia law" is redundant.

You do realize that seceding would mean facing the full power of the US military which in the case of preserving the Union would not hesitate to resort to total war if it needed to. The Texans would be forced to stay, or if that became impossible they'd all be killed, by nuclear strikes if needed. No state leaves the union; much less with it's people alive.

:lol:

This post made me laugh "  No state leaves the union; much less with it's people alive "

You see for me I would ask a more important questions " why would you really want to leave the Union and do people realize the negative economic impact that would follow any state that legally was able to leave " ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

"You see for me I would ask a more important questions " why would you really want to leave the Union and do people realize the negative economic impact that would follow any state that legally was able to leave " ?"\

You really are the hivemand. Not all  states are created or treated equal. Some states would likely be better off not being a member while others would crumble. Of course, as mentioned above, the nazi left  and the nazi right would NEVER allow the other side to leave. They would wipe each other out in a heart beat because nazi sjws and nazi conservatives have one main thing in common - MY WAY OR DEATH NO MERCY FOR ANYONE NO FREEDOM FOR ANYONE UNLESS YOU ARE ON MY SIDE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

This post made me laugh "  No state leaves the union; much less with it's people alive "

You see for me I would ask a more important questions " why would you really want to leave the Union and do people realize the negative economic impact that would follow any state that legally was able to leave " ?

There are plenty of people in certain states that want to leave and some are willing to sacrifice a few things to do it. The simple truth though is that it will never be allowed; ever. It's a moot point, "why" they want to leave. They don't get to leave.

"You see for me I would ask a more important questions " why would you really want to leave the Union and do people realize the negative economic impact that would follow any state that legally was able to leave " ?"\

You really are the hivemand. Not all  states are created or treated equal. Some states would likely be better off not being a member while others would crumble. 

That's basically the truth. 

I should note that this isn't the way I want it to be. It's just the reality of the situation.

Edited by Namutree

First off, I suspect the US will not be willing to go to war to stop seceding states. Second, if Texas were to walk away it would be the 14th largest economy in the world right off the bat. Third while I do think the US is tearing itself apart inside and that schism is likely at some point we are not there yet.  

There is a group trying to get a non-binding secession referendum on the 2016 ballot in Texas. It is a indication of an intrusive and heavy handed federal government that is becoming more estranged from it's people. Too their credit the founders of this country did envision such a scenario at some point.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

There are plenty of people in certain states that want to leave and some are willing to sacrifice a few things to do it. The simple truth though is that it will never be allowed; ever. It's a moot point, "why" they want to leave. They don't get to leave.

You really are the hivemand. Not all  states are created or treated equal. Some states would likely be better off not being a member while others would crumble. 

That's basically the truth. 

I should note that this isn't the way I want it to be. It's just the reality of the situation.

Actually no, there are plenty of people who think they understand what an economic and social   sacrifice leaving the Union would entail. But how could they possibly know considering the last time states left the Union was 150 years ago during the Civil War ....and the world has dramatically changed since then and we live in global world where countries are really interconnected on numerous levels

I don't mean to attack your post but I always find it amazing that some people will argue for a particular state to secede  and yet have no real or practical understanding of what the consequences would mean

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

First off, I suspect the US will not be willing to go to war to stop seceding states. Second, if Texas were to walk away it would be the 14th largest economy in the world right off the bat. Third while I do think the US is tearing itself apart inside and that schism is likely at some point we are not there yet.  

The government would never allow it. It'd be war; count on that. The government is WAAAAAY more power hungry and committed to national unity than last time states tried to leave the union and they were willing to fight even then.

Edited by Namutree

We know what the consequences would be. You've been told what would happen and history backs up - war would happen. Many people would die. No way a sitting US President would all any state to leave the union. It doesn't matter if it is Republican, Democrat, or some other  random party. War and death would be the result.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

We know what the consequences would be. You've been told what would happen and history backs up - war would happen. Many people would die. No way a sitting US President would all any state to leave the union. It doesn't matter if it is Republican, Democrat, or some other  random party. War and death would be the result.

Well, it's possible a president would let them, but even if he did he'd just be impeached immediately and replaced by some one who wouldn't.

Volo I have mentioned this before, you Canadians need to join the USA. Trust me it will only benefit your economy and political structures. You won't have Majors of towns, Rob Ford,  smoking crack cocaine and keeping there jobs ...the USA will get the political discipline lacking in Canada working properly :biggrin:  

John Milton 

Volo I have mentioned this before, you Canadians need to join the USA. Trust me it will only benefit your economy and political structures. You won't have Majors of towns, Rob Ford,  smoking crack cocaine and keeping there jobs ...the USA will get the political discipline lacking in Canada working properly :biggrin:  

No thanks, Bruce. We don't want them.

• Like 2

Shame ....poor Volo 

John Milton 

Shame ....poor Volo 

He wouldn't want to join us nazi sjw's anyway.

• Like 1

Obama seem to care less and less what people think about him these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8TwRmX6zs4

Obama can be pretty funny. Bad president, but decent comedian.

Isn't this old....like 2011 old ?

John Milton 

It seems to be that old, it has just resurfaced in social media, probably because it fits so well in current debates.

It seems to be that old, it has just resurfaced in social media, probably because it fits so well in current debates.

Yeah it is relevant but it just goes to show how Obama has received  the same unfounded and untrue criticisms for years

Here is a newer one that is quite funny

John Milton 

I don't think the military would fight against Texas for a commie government. Most of people in the military are either Texans or Southerners. Scotland was allowed to leave, how's that different from Texas? Even the republics of the Soviet Union were allowed to leave, are you saying our government is worst than the communists? Edit: In reality, there'd be a civil war in Texas between those wanting to leave and those who don't, that's the real obstacle. Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan